Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I just wasted 2 hours of my life.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Aug 9, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm on the phone with a Linksys tech support engineer. At this point, I'm barely listening the first time he says anything cause I can't understand a word and have to ask him to repeat everything (at one point I asked him 3 times what he said and almost asked to IM me the question!).

I Can't understand a F%$&*ing word the guy is saying!!

"We have a purple purchase" - Do you have a proof of purchase?

"We ha a poppa pacha" - Do you have a proof of purchase?

"Yoaw excel addra" - Your Exact address?

"Yo mother number of the brotha." - your model number of the product?

"askjalsdkjlkjlasdkjlkjewq" - What is the model number of the access point?

"my dog eats rats and craps goldfish on the seashore" - Hold on while I get an RMA number for you.

I have a bad wireless network card. It will not link with the access point. I have repeated that to every rep I've spoken with, and have repeatedly told them the link light status and the software monitor that shows searching for link. I know the cards NG because I tried an identical card in this one's place and had no problems, then tried this card in a few places that had working cards, and could not get this card to link.
    I told the first rep that, so she sent me a new driver (ummm, ok.), and told me to call back if it didn't work. Of course it didn't work because she sent me software for a hardware level problem. So I call back and get a damn brain surgeon with an unknown dialect vaguely resembling any form of english. I tell him the situation, and he proceeds to make me walk through 45 minutes of installing and uninstalling drivers, upgrading firmware, etc. I started getting short and pissy with him when he asked me to check my ip settings for DNS/WiNS/etc. If I didn't need the RMA, I'd have hung up when told me to ping 127.0.0.1.

After all that, the reject tells me he's going to set up an RMA, because I tried different cards in the same slot and they all work, but this one won't work. The same f---ing thing I told every rep when I started the calls 2+ hours ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

OMG LMAO!!!

I had to go thru that getting tech support on quickbooks once! lol!!
    You feel like smacking them on the head with the phone while asking them why in fawks sake are you answering phones!!!

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

That's some funny sh!t.. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem last night concerning a bill. I recieved a call at 8:45pm last night concerning an over due bill and refused to talk to the person talking to me. I will not discuss payments, arangements, or anything else concerning these matters unless I can fully understand the person I am talking to.

After asking for a supervisor, I finally understood after asking them to repeat 3 times that nobody else was available. I had them repeat a phone # to call the next day 3 times and told them I'll call tomorrow when someone that can speak the language well enough can help me.

When I called today, I was told the arrangements have been made and proceeded to tell me all this crap I agreed to last night. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I didn't agree to anything. I refused to talk to the person last night because I could not fully understand anything this person was telling me. What a bunch of crap /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Also reminds me of sitting in a drive through one time with a buddy and the person on the speaker couldn't even get close to what I was trying to order, so my friend finally leaned over and gave the order in spanish and everything was fine.

WTF is the deal with employees that have to communicate with the public? I know there is someone in the back that speaks and understands english well enough. Why aren't they the ones up there working the phones and drive throughs?

In a world where communication is key, management seems to be taking things in the wrong direction. How do these places stay in business?

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That should be a requirement for a phone support job!!

Application:

"When asking a person thier name, do they respond with any of the following, or anything other than thier name:

"Can you repeat that?"
    "Excuse me?"
    "I'm sorry I didn't quite understand that. Did you ask if I'm gay?"
    "What?"
    "Say that again please."
    "It's Wednesday"
    "Yeah, I thought it was kinda lame, too"

If you answered "yes", please skip the "position desired" section; we'll handle that for you."

Not only are they boneheaded and hard to understand, but they don't want to get the job done!! Both reps I talked to tried to make me go away! The first one by sending me drivers, the second by telling me he wouldn't process the RMA unless I was holding the poopa poncha, and to call back when I had it.

Man, I hate that about this job!!

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, great points. Our communication technology has gotten so advanced we don't need to bother speaking clearly anymore...

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

LMAO!!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I'm a tech support person and I can tell you from experience that a lot of people calling for help aren't exactly the brightest bunch either.

Example:
    Me: hello, tech support, can I help you?
    Him: yah, I need a login ID and password
    Me: Ok, I will need your full name, location and the name of the person you report to.
    Him: (tells me all of the information)
    Me: I will get this set up for you and give you a call. Is there an extension where I can reach you?
    Him: Can you just email it to me?

Uhmmm, yah/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I can certainly vouch for that (I'm sort of the "help desk" guy also)! I do make around 3 or 4 calls a week to hardware vendors tech support. This call was just plain stupid.

I gotta apologize to Dell, also. For a short time, their tech support sucked in the same way, but they've recently started to cut through the crap and I guess trust the judgement of thier phone guys, and get rid of the bad phone people... I dunno know, but Dell has gone back to being quick and easy to deal with...

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I ge the same kind of crap. One guy calls me because he has 3 identical laptops that will not run off the AC adaptoprs. Tried different adaptors and he said nothing worked, so I went to his office to take a look.

me - So where do you plug these in?
    him - on that power strip over there
    me - this one here?
    him - yes
    me - this one that's turned off?
    him - Uh, yeah, but I'm sure that it was turned on when I tried them
    me - I'm sure it was, but just for fun, I'm going to try it.

Guess what? He had the power strip turned off... Not only that, this guy was an IT director.</font color>

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

HAHAHAHAH good one..