Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I keep blowing taillight fuses

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Apr 28, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Okay okay I know there is probably a short somewhere, that's what my dad keeps telling me. Is there anything else that could be making it do this? Everytime I put a new fuse in, as soon as I turn on the courtesy or headlights, the fuse blows immediately. Where are some of the places I should check?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Check the ground wires in the tail light covers. I had a similar problem with a truck once and it turned out the ground wire had corroded to where I had to splice a new end on it to get it grounded properly.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LOL...listen to your Dad, he knows what he's talking about./forums/images/icons/smile.gif Look for any power wire in the affected circuits for bare spots.

Rene

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmm. My thinking started focusing right near the light switch. My reasoning is that if it happens only when you turn on the headlights, it's more likely something to do with the exterior lights themselves. But if it happens when the headlights OR courtesy is on, (both by themselves) then its not just the courtesy circuit thats screwed, nor is it just the headlight circuit thats messed up.

Either that or you have two seperate problems. I've never heard of anything near the light switch istelf failing, so I'd be starting assuming you have two seperate problems, one of which being pretty common, the door jamb switches. Don't rule out something near the headlight switch though, especially if someone has messed with the wiring.

5. Bamm Bamm

Bamm Bamm Registered Member

I used to have the same problem on my 73 turned out a wire had rubbed through and was grounding out ont he frame rails underneath the bed. Check your wires..Not fun but you might find some other stuff that needs to be fixed. Better to do it before it brakes

6. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Check the wire loom on the driver's side frame rail, where the wires cross between the frame and the bottom of the body tub, just forward of the rear axle a foot or so. It is a common problem on the latter Blazers.

7. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

First off have you or someone else been messing around anywhere under the dash or under the truck? if so then check the area over again for things things you might have bumped. Second, check the trailer hitch wire harness. Sometimes this thing can get dragged across stuff and mangled.