Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Keep Snapping....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HEAVY METAL, Dec 7, 2005.

1. HEAVY METAL

HEAVY METAL 1/2 ton status

the passenger side bolt off my 205, 465 adapter, its happend twice now.... i fixed it the first time when i replace my tranny cauze 3rd gear kept poppin out by puttin in a new adapter... just happend again.. any ideas please?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Helicoil and some new grade 8 bolts?

Rene

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

do you have the t-case to frame brace?:confused:

4. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

We have come up with a NP205 side mount kit which is available in either chevy or ford style. We have produced it to be compatible with all doubler applications along with factory setups. Take a look at http://www.northwestfab.com/tcaseacessories.html the kit includes all mounting hardware, urithane bushings, 3/4" fine tread rod for infinate adjustment.

This should solve all your drive train woes.

-NWF Crew
    Jordan

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Will this mount work for those of that are using the HAD 205 mounted brake?

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Does anyone have pictures of the 205 brace? My SM465/205 combo only came with a crossmember that the adapter sits on, and it didn't seem right to me that the case would just hang off the end...

7. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i was having that problem also on my 205. i reinforced the fram and drilled the holes out a bit and put thicker gr8 bolts in. has lasted through 1 wheelin trip now....... so well see

8. HEAVY METAL

northwest fab.. looks great dude.. i'll have to wait till new year tho.. stupid christ,mas

Rene...helicoil? whats that bud? i put new grade 8 bolts when i did my tranny.. snapped in the same place as last time.. no i dont have the factory brace....

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The web page for NorthWest Fab will not load. I am interested in a couple of those because both of my 1-ton trucks are missing the factory transfer case support bracket, but I would like to see a picture of it first, so I can get a better understanding of how it is designed.

10. HEAVY METAL

Jordan you have mail...

11. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

anyone got pics of one in a rig?

12. HEAVY METAL

i will soon :D

13. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

cool

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[​IMG]
    I see the pic on NW fabs page. Not sure exactly how that works. The case side would work like a hinge and not really restrain rotation of the drive train. If the frame end is the same orientation (it says "dual urathane isolators at both the transfer case and frame") then it's basically a shackle.

The other thing is that there is very little clearance between the case and frame rail. Mine is clocked up 2", and on a taller 1 ton frame as well, but I don't think that would fit my truck. I expect it would be below the rail on a stock K5?

On the other hand, NWF makes some cool stuff and I'm sure they wouldn't produce something that won't work for most trucks, so I may well be missing something...

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I think for my doubler I'm just going to fab up a support that attaches to the factory mount just above the NWF style one. Its already threaded for huge bolts (5/8"?) so why not just fab up a piece of 1/4" steel plate, with a couple of holes in it... and a piece of tube coming off that which attaches to the frame. Bushing on the t-case end so it can move a little bit.... solid on the frame end so it isn't a shackle. Seems like it would work, and be simple too. The NW fab one looks bling, but I want to use D&D Machine's blingin billet bearing retainers, not sure it would even work with those...

j

16. BadDog

I question the whole outboard mount approach, but that's been covered before. And in my case, I used those holes to mount a transfer bar pivot for my triple stick inboard shift rail.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

really? got pics of your shifter setup? That mounting point seems like its a long ways away from the shift rails...

j

18. BadDog

No pics. It's just a transfer rod to get behind the 203 range box to the rear shift rail. Just picture the ouboard pivot out there, then a piece of strap stock (transfer bar) going to the shift rail, and a shifter rod hitting the transfer bar at a convienient point. Beats having a side load from an "L" bracket. Look at ORD's, it's fairly similar except they bolt the pivot to the front output.

19. slowk5

slowk5 Registered Member

my np 205 isnt even tapped for a factory brace?it lasted 30 years,so i hope i will not have a problem!

20. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

The photo on our website is more of an one-off prototype we did specially for one customer. We will have the production photo in soon, the bushings are mounted quite a bit higher, and the brace is vertical to resist twist. We have made everything more low profile to better help clear the exhaust. We will also add multiple mount locations for those who have clocked their transfer cases up or down.

That's exactly the reason we did not use the 2 5/8" holes on the side - not all cases have them! only specifc applications and years were drilled and tapped for them, we wanted a kit that would fit everyones needs.

The kit unfortunatly will not work with D.D. Machine billet bearing retainers, but we have somthing up our sleeve to solve that.