Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Killed My Clutch - Advice??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4x454, Nov 27, 2001.

1. 4x4x454

4x4x454 Registered Member

I had a frightening experience this morning. As I was getting ready to pull into my work parking lot this morning, I noticed my clutch pedal was softer than normal, and it was difficult getting it to go into 1st gear from a stop. When I went to back into my parking spot, the clutch pedal became very soft, and it would not go into reverse. Major grind, not good. Had to slam it into reverse to get the truck out of the middle of the lot, and back into my spot. (I know, not a good thing to do, but, had to move it quick.) Then, when stopped, with the now very soft clutch all the way to the floor, even after several seconds, it doesn't want to go into any gear, and will grind if you try. This is the 1st stick shift I've ever owned (should have bought another automatic). Any opinions or thoughts on what part or parts might be going bad, or already broke? If it's any help, it's a '79 with the SM465, and the clutch is all manual with linkages (no hydrulic assist). Thanks much.

2. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

the last time my clutch went out i lost all tenstion in my peddel. besideds the spring that bring it back up. it made a loud poping noise. it was in gear at the time so i shot out into the intersection. [​IMG] if you replace it repace the throw out bearing too.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a manual linkage 4 gear too. (81) I had a weird problem with it a couple of months ago. There is a pivot ball stud attached to the side of the bellhousing and mine had fatigued and finally broke off. Within 10 miles my clutch went from normal to not releasing at all and the clutch disc is only a year or so old. I ended up replacing the ball stud with a 1/2" bolt as a temporary fix...

Set your parking brake and have someone step on the clutch while you watch the linkage from underneath. You may have a problem with the linkage itself rather than the clutch.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Time to switch over to an automatic. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>