Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I know I know, a redundant speaker mounting question

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 87BrnRsd, Jan 19, 2004.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 K5, that untill recently had the stock radio and speakers. I just had a new sony x-plode cd player installed and need some speaker mounting suggestions. For now, I just need ideas on where to mount 2 6 1/2's, so that they sound good for the front seat listeners. I do not want to put them in the doors, and I also dont want to mount them in the kick panels or dash. I know this leaves my options limited, but what are some other ideas? I can build my own speaker boxes if necessary, but just want some good/easy ideas. I plan on getting 2 6x9's for the rear sometime later on, but cant afford them right now. I also have 2 alpine type R 12's, and a soundstream tarantula 700/2 amp to push them. I just need some ideas as to where to mount the speakers, so that I can install the rest of my sound system, and not have to listen to the endless growl of my 37s. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks.
    -Harrison

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    dont want to mount them in the kick panels

[/ QUOTE ] Any particular reson why ??? I think that the Q-form kick panels are one of the best things to ever happen to stereo's in trucks. But then again, that's just my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I think that the q form kick panels offer a great place to mount speakers. Unfortunately, I do not have the $100 to spend on them right now. That is why I am looking for some alternative ideas.
    -Harrison

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I think that the q form kick panels offer a great place to mount speakers. Unfortunately, I do not have the $100 to spend on them right now. That is why I am looking for some alternative ideas.
    -Harrison

[/ QUOTE ] Ah, I hear ya. That's why I haven't bought a set for my K5 either. I've got a kickass head unit, badass amp, and it just sits. So meny other things I need to do first befor I buy speakers and q-forms.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have JL audio 6.5's right behind the seatbelts in the bed sides about a foot under the ash trays. My front 5.25" JL's have a custom mounting plate and are up against the firewall next to the kick panels, basically up in the corners faced towards the occupants face.

3 JL 10's down firing with 1,500watts behind the back seat. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

How about this?
    [​IMG] I have 2 6x9's and 2 6.5's mounted on the panels and a place to mount my amps off the floor.
    Bill

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Those Q-forms that mount on the lower kick panel look sweet, at least until you've accidentally kicked the cover off of them a few hundred times. They REALLY get in the way of your feet. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Just an FYI... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, the way mine are mounted they are almost in the same spots that the q-forms have them in and I have to always remind my passengers to watch their feet.

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all of the suggestions. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I like the idea of mounting them behind the seatbelts. I also like the way youve done yours tweetysaurus. Im going to go out to my truck as soon as I get done typing this with new inspirations and check for fitament. Thanks.
    -Harrison

10. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

q-forms are alrighhhhhhhhhht but the best way if gonna do kick panels is glassin' its easy and fun

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Explain.
    -Harrison

12. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i have the q-forms, and despite the unorthodox price tag, they really are awesome, me nor none of my passengers have had trouble with the feet, and each one directs the sound straight to your face, i like them, but hated the price, like i said.. just my $.02

13. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/kicks/

thats the webpage for those of you that would like to know more about fiberglassing your own kickpods...its alot cheaper then those q-forms and if done correctly,looks alot better to.

14. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I mounted mine in the back above the rear window. You can see them here.

15. kw48653

kw48653 Registered Member

i made glass enclosures that replaced the nasty carpet on the bottom of the doors to hold the mid's to a component set and put the tweeters on the dash. doesn't get in the way of feet and sounds great!