Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I know, I know But Search aint helpin

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bee32, Nov 18, 2003.

1. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

I know this has been covered so many times but I can't find squat on the search engine. So here Goes.
    After putting off my 6" spring install it payed off. A buddy needs them and he is trading me 2 yes 2 14blts and a set of 8 lug wheels. Some may say that that is a crazy trade but I think it is worth it concidering I got the springs last spring for 200$. They are 56" springs so I put it off on the install list and wham a few hard to find axles land in my lap.
    So here is the problem. How do you tell between FF and SF 14 bolts. I have no idea what they came out of and I am popping the cover on one of them tonight. According to the axle identifier post in the Tech's page it is the Big 14b. Are all these FF or am I just getting my hopes up. Part numbers don't cross with GM /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif but I know it came off a 3500 from what he said(not a dually). I am just hoping to have landed a good deal after waitting so long to convert to 1 ton after Tellico last year. Hopin to have the conversion done on it prior to April. Now all I need is the front axle.
    Thanks fer any info granted.

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

There's a 14B, it also has external hub flanges with bolts to pull the axle, the SF14 does not.

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

Here is a site with pics of a 14bFF hub web page

if it doesnt look like that then is SF

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The FF has a big bearing hub that sticks out thru the center of the wheel with 8 bolts holding the axle shaft in place. The SF does not have that hub.

5. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Like this...
    [​IMG]

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG] Here's a good shot of the shape of the diff. That is the best way to identify the FF in my opinion. How good of a trade all depends on what you have there. What the heck do you need 2 14BFF's for. They aren't like front 10Bolts were the more spare parts the better, You shouldn't need any extra "wheeling" parts for a 14 because you won't break it. 14 bolts aren't rare at all...in fact they are probably the easiest axles to come by at a junk yard. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you find that one of them has 4.56 gears and a detroit locker with good bearings and brakes then I would say it's a good trade.

7. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What the heck do you need 2 14BFF's for. They aren't like front 10Bolts were the more spare parts the better, You shouldn't need any extra "wheeling" parts for a 14 because you won't break it. 14 bolts aren't rare at all...in fact they are probably the easiest axles to come by at a junk yard. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you find that one of them has 4.56 gears and a detroit locker with good bearings and brakes then I would say it's a good trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks everyone. It looks like they are both FF. The second one was just a throw in. I am going to try to trade it off for a front axle preferably a D60. We'll see how that goes. And as far finding them around here, it aint hard to find just really pricey. They are gold mines so I might sell the second one for money for the front one.
    I apreciate the feedback /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hmm, I hear that a lot about 14's being pricey in other areas. I feel bad because they go for about $100 at the local Truck only Yard, plus he has about 50 of them to choose from. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Even a van 14 with 5.14 gears in it out there!

9. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Must be nice to have so many. But at least I finally got one. It has been something that I wanted to get for a while but either you trade up for it or pay over 500 for one. Now I can use this one and sell the other. I get the other one this weekend along with the rest of a truck(2wd) minus motor and tranny. Truck is no good besides parts so I should make out okay. Just havin the 14ff makes it worth it to me.
    The gears in this one are 3:73's so I can bolt and go. Perches are same distance too. Easier for me since time is critical here at my house. My wife is 8 wks prego so that don't help with my already overly busy life. I can always add to one that is here easier than having to getting the hole thing.
    Life is good at the moment I guess /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Well if both 14ff are complete and ready to run, then I think you gat a heck of a deal. Considering you basically got two 14ff and a set of wheels to fit for $200, hell thats not bad at all.

11. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

That's what I was thinkin. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif