Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i know it can be done, but how?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Oct 13, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so i know how to shift out of gear with a manual tranny without the clutch, but how do you get into gear w/ out the clutch?

2. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

you gotta get the RPM's up to the point where it would be if you shifted into gear manually. say you go from first into second and when you shift into 2nd it puts you at 1500 rpm's.... so when you get ready to shift, rip er out of gear get er revved close to 1500 and just give it some slight pressure to push it in. once you get all the points figured out its pretty cool... fun. im just waiting till i break stuff doing it

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Are you talkin about from a dead stop or while rolling(like 2nd to 3rd)

With light truck transmissions IE: SM465s, NV4500s They are scynronized and are made to be used with the clutch. Big truck trannys Eaton Fuller 9 Speeds, 13 Speeds etc. Arent scynronized to much rolling mass i was once told.

My old 91 5-speed S10 I could slam shift between gears with no clutch. Although that was manly due to a wore shift fork I beleive.

Getting it back into gear is all about matching the engine RPM to Vehicle speed.

4. colbystephens

this would be w/ my 465. so, i cant do this from a stop?

5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

first and reverse aren't synchroed and it is possible to clip it into gear at stop.... just ask chevyman_400....

6. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ive never tried from a stop

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Would be like dumping the clutch I do beleive

8. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Taking off is about the only time I use the clutch in my 465. Match the RPM and it pops right in or out. That goes for up shifting or down shifting.

9. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Yup I can run the nv4500 in my dodge up to 4th with out the clutch and down. I do it when I'm bored or lazy.

oh and I've run a T-800 Kenworth bobtailed, up through 9th with no clutch and skipping gears.

10. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

On a non synchro (think big-rig) trans you match the R's. On a LD truck trans it's the same, but the syncros will allow you to do it without getting quite as close and if you're not careful you can damage shift forks or synchros. A friend of mine had a 87 Nissan hardbody with a NAP-Z and 4-speed, and he could redline that thing from a stop and SLAM it into gear. That's about the only way he shifted it for several months and it never broke. Made for some entertainment, that's for sure. We hammered that truck in every way imaginable.

11. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

on stops i turn my truck off and put it in L and start the truck and it moves on its own and then to 1st i just get the right rpms

12. colbystephens

why not use the clutch so you don't have to turn your rig off? i guess part of my reason for caring is i deal w/ a ton of stop/go traffic on the way to school in the morning and sometimes i just want to be lazy and not use the clutch. i'm not goign to start and stop my rig every 15 seconds... ;)

13. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

In slow moving traffic, I just creep along in first, or at whatever speed that allows me to keep from stopping. If everyone else wants to speed up and slow down, let em.

14. colbystephens

yeah, i do that too, just put it in the 6:1 and creep, but that requires stopping at somepoint just so i can get in gear and i think my max speed in that gear is about 10 mph, so if i ever need to catch up to traffic, i gotta get out of that gear and then wait for an opportunity to stop and put it in again just so i can creep, so it doesn't work too well all the time.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

no clutch....

I drove my 72 K5 for a whole week with a busted 3 finger pressure plate,that refused to disengage!..I had to shut it off at red lights and stop signs,and put it in granny low,and start it up in gear to take off..once it was moving,I found suddenly taking your foot off the gas,and shifting into 2nd immediately,it would usually go right in without clashing..upshifting to 3rd was a bit harder,4th was pretty easy..(maybe 3rd gear's synchro was a bit worn?)..at any rate,it sucked to drive that way,and was dangerous at times!.

I learned a few days later from a friend who has a Harley,that he used a kill switch on his bike rather than the clutch 90% of the time--only used the clutch for taking off from a dead stop..he could speed shift it faster using the kill button than he could using the clutch!..After I saw his setup,I rigged up a pushbutton kill switch on my K5,and used it to help shift up thru the gears..it worked OK,but every time I let off the button it let out a big backfire,which eventually blew one of the mufflers off the front pipe!:doah: ..:blush:

I found downshifting to be VERY difficult,without grinding gears,even when I tried matching the rpm's up...I replaced the clutch ASAP,before I needed a rebuilt tranny--I'm sure I did the synchro's NO justice driving it with no clutch..if you don't like shifting,I'd get a TH400..:crazy:

16. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm borrowing my buddys truck with the 465. I drive truck, and truck I drove was an Eaton 18 speed. I hardly ever used the clutch. Starting from a dead stop I would use it, but usually tried to keep it rolling so I wouldn't have to use the clutch. On the 465 it's the same, have to match the Rs with the roadspeed. Drive it normal, but see what RPM and MPH your shifting at. When starting from the bottom, left off the gas and usually just drops into gear. Downshifting, let off the gas and pull it out of gear at the same time, then rev the R's a little and put it in gear. Try it, its not hard, just takes some practice.....

17. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Try it, its not hard, just takes some practice.....

x-2

18. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

x3 its easy just takes practice............once you get it, then you got it. since talking about it yesterday I was no clutching my Dodge today just cuzz, its really smooth when you get it don't force it, when the road speed and the engine RPM are matched for the gear you're trying to select it goes like butter no grinding

19. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

this thread makes me think that the poor guy doesnt have a left leg... wtf? its not that hard to push a clutch pedal, is it?? lol ive done the same thing, drive a stick without using the clutch but just screwin around, not as a rule of thumb...

20. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

...............because he asked how? It doesn't matter why.