Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I know it's an oxymoron, but what's the best cheap CB?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by laketex, Feb 25, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I know it\'s an oxymoron, but what\'s the best cheap CB?

I'm talking being out for like $75 all said and done. Wiring, antannae, and cb unit. The radio shack jobs any good?

I bought a 148GTL off ebay all screwed up and went through a lot of crap and never got my cash or the cb fixed so I trashed it. Kept the mike though!!! So I'd prefer to buy new. Or from a trusted ck5 member.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Re: I know it\'s an oxymoron, but what\'s the best cheap CB?

Laketex,
    Thanks for the encouraging words on the 148GTL. (trying to sell one myself). I am sure that will help my cause.

The best low price, around 50 bucks CB I have found is the Uniden pro 510XL. Simple, talks good, and inexpensive. For an antenna the francis is a good all around choice that does not require tuning. They are around 15 bucks. 18 foot of RG-58au coax is around 15 bucks with the ends on it. he bracket to mount the antenna is around 10 bucks.

John

PS, weren't you asking about my 148 GTL at one time and decided against it because it was too much radio for you?

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

LOL sorry about that John. Here ya go:

Disclaimer: Although this user has had a problem with a 148 in the past, in no way does this justify the boycotting of such problem. This user feels that any radio can be equally fubarred upon reciept from the seller. That being said, chevyracing here is a very respected member of this board and a trustworthy fellow.

This work for ya? HAHA. I dont recall it, but it was probably a money issue if I did back out. I'd love to have a nice working 148GTL and I hope you sell yours soon so it doesn't continue to tempt me into getting killed by my wife&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

And thanks for the reference to that uniden. May be what I do. Hate to be a cheapskate, but it'll be in an open vehicle all the time and I want it to be expendable.

Bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

4. Hoover87

Hoover87 Registered Member

Just a couple notes.

The 148GTL is a great radio, especially the older ones...but of course it has to work. It is or was one of the most popular radios of CB hobbyists during its day.

Regarding the Uniden, I would strongly recomend the PRO-520 instead of the 510. The PRO-520 has an additional noise reduction feature (a must in a mobile) and an RF Gain that can prove to be handy if you ever get into radio a tad bit more. The PRO-520 is my personal baseline for a cheap, small, good looking CB that still functions well.

5. Hoover87

Hoover87 Registered Member

Let me correct my last post, both radios have the ANL, the 520 has an added PA, Ch.9, and RF Gain. In any case I still recommend the 520.

For an antenna the FireStiks, 4 foot or bigger, are great performing antennas...and they are cheap.

Anyway, have fun!

6. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

Next antenna I'm going to go with is the 8' Shakespeare fiberglass whip. Can handle power (1200 watts one trusted tech says he runs thru it and nary a problem) and is effective. However might be a bit impractical for off road use with lots of overhead cover like trees.

Need triple magnet mount for it. That setup will run about $50-$70. For antenna system. Of course the antenna itself only runs about $20. Rest of the cost is the magmount setup.

Good radio is 510xl. For step up from that you should expect to spend a bit over $100. If you get a bigger radio than that I'd go SSB capable. SSB is more efficient transmission mode and therefore lets you get out farther than just plain AM (like usual CB's).

But then again the last *radio* I got set me back $320. [​IMG] Radio only.

I like the Wilson 1000 or 5000 antennas but they're priced around your package deal price...

Don't get a rubber ducky (the little cheezy rubber antennas). Minimum of a Wilson "Lil Wil" or 500.

Remember you can have a piece of crap radio and a great antenna and get out better than somebody with a great radio and a POS antenna.

Make sure you get the SWR's set. Try to buy antenna at a radio shop as most will set SWR free. Can get radio where ever you please but might want a peak and tune (peaks power output, makes sure it's working as well as possible, etc)... Radio shops do this. Make sure they don't cut any modulation limiters. Is bad mod.

Anyhow I've said enough... Good luck with your choice and let us know what you picked up...

Tim

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks man. I"ve a friend that can set swrs for me. I'm a licenced ham operator but I've been out of the loop for a while. Also I'm a poor cheap bastard right now, so I'm going for minimum. I'll look into the unidens.

No props for the radio shak units?

Sherman, Tx

8. The_Sandman_454

Is cool... I'd like to become a licensed HAM operator... :) Hoping to have the HAM ticket by late this year or sometime in the first 1/4 of next year...

You can put a bigger final into the Uniden 510 easily to boost output I recall reading. Might want to run it past your tech, etc.

Any of you guys over here also members of the World Wide Radio Forum? [​IMG]

Tim

9. chevyracing

You asked about Radio Shack radios. One of the rules of the boards is no bashing, so let me put it like this; I would strongly recommend other brands over Radio Shack.

The pro 510 XL is about the best bang for the buck. It will fit inside of the glove box out of the weather and is not a bad radio.

John

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

laketex. what do you plan on useing the radio for? Offroad or Highway in other great distance or short. I would say if not already said hit up the pawn shops around your area, you would be surprised at what they have laying around even under the counter where they dont even display it. $50bucks got me a cobra29ltd,18' coax, 3 antennas, and a mic worth $50bucks alone.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hell mostly off road. I trailer my rig except for short excursions. I just need something to talk to my buddies on the trail. I have FRS, but really need a cb cause that what everyone else carries.

<font color=red>Sherman, Tx</font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/capn_insano79>http://community.webshots.com/user/capn_insano79</a>
    IT'S ALIVE!!!

12. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Ok if you want something new then run over to radioshack and buy there cheapest CB or go to a truckstop and get a cobra 18 or 19 for around $40 and a cheap antenna with a mount for another $15, or goto a pawn shop and see if they have something cheap usually you can haggle them way down because they dont sell them to often. The closest truckstop I can think of 2u is on I35 exit 473 Loves or exit 471 TA truckstop or in OKLA there is a "total" at exit 15 there in Marietta. If you find a CB at a pawn shop and arent sure if its worth it tell me about it and I'll give a heads up on it.
    <font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

13. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

You know speaking of pawn shops I just got a Galaxy 33 for 50$ you cant beat that price but then I wouldn't leave it where it would grow legs, but the pawn shop isn't a bad place to look

Eric

<a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/>http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/</a>
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

14. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Im not a big fan of Galaxys in the least bit, but if I were to ever get one that would be the one. Thats a hell of a good deal on a 33. I was just talking to a guy in Kentucky last week from Oklahoma and thats what he was talking on and it sounded pretty clear especially for 800miles apart.

15. Highlander

When I used to drive over the road the Galaxy was the radio to have I used to have a older 148 that I had the extra channels put in man I miss that radio, Anyway I would like to get the Ranger 6900 turbo or the 6300 turbo, But then I would like to get a 88 or a 99. Hey what channel were you on to talk that far on? As I said I just got my 33 so I'm still playing with it the only thing I wish my 33 had SSB oh well later

Eric

<a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/>http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/</a>
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

16. The_Sandman_454

Depending on conditions, I'm told with just my barefoot 2950dx I can be heard on the west coast... Not bad of a trip from MI... Fairly consistent contacts with a colorado station and a few others scattered around... Again not horrible from here...

Conditions are everything...

I tend to run 27.475mhz (lower sideband) and go by 454 mid-MI mobile... Or something similar. 454 is always in the name...

Anyhow I'll shut up now...

Tim

17. Highlander

Yea when I had my 148 I could get SSB and talk a ways a way, It was fun to sit and hear someone from the east coast, there where times I could hit the skip and get people from all over. It was fun.

Eric

AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

18. chevyracing

see, you should give me a hundred bucks for my 148 and life would be good again.

John

19. Highlander

John as much as I would like to get that 148 right now I'll have to pass, When I get my new rearend from TJ I'll make the trip out your way. My current rearend is on it's last legs so for now I'll keep it close to home.

Eric

AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

20. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Well Im a crazy ass truck driver now and they are still what everyone wants (its a statis object $$$), but the thing is they have more flaws in them then any other radio out there especially the 99 (88 is a lil better). I recently sold my ranger 6900f and bought a Ranger2950dx both are great radios but pricey. I think if I could do it over again I would of kept the 6900f.
    The guy in Kentucky was tweaked running barefoot with a 60' tower, I cant remember but it wasnt sideband it somewhere in the 28mhz.