Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I know its not a k-5 but hey this is a garage right? leaking radiator fluid

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SummitXMK, Jun 26, 2002.

1. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

On my 94 I have small amounts of radiator residue on all my hose connections, the overflow box lid and then a large amount that is slowly heading down between the manifold and the valve cover from the front towards the back on the drivers side. Then I have some leaking down the front from the same corner. I haven't seen the truck go over 210 since I bought it, which was at christmas. I am also not getting much lower on Radiator fluid either. Maybe 1/2 an inch in the overflow. I've got just under 70K miles. Does anybody have any suggestions? I will try to get some pictures tonight. I don't want to drive it till it overheats or anything but I don't want to just replace every hose and find the problem is a bad manifold or even worse a head gasket. Its a 1995 k1500.
    Thanks for your help.

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

most likely it's your hose. sometimes all you have to do is tighten it up a bit. carefull not to kink the hose.

head gaskets usually come with a compression leak from the piston cylinder/head chamber, know as a blown head gasket. Also, check your engine oil. if it's a whitish color, you got water in there. IMO, I don't think your engine would of survived that long. blown head gaskets get worse as time goes by.

as for the manifold, never really seen one fail on me.
    ARQ.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Does the truck have a 4.3L? IIRC they have had problems with the plastic fitting at the back of the block for heater return. Sometimes if you wiggle that hose they snap off from being brittle.

4. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Its a 5.7 non vortec. Its not from just the hose though its like from every place that there is a break in the system. I will get some pics tonight that should be able to explain it better. Its not a bad leak more like a seep.

5. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    says that the pic cannot be found

7. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What the hell is that red stuff???? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

9. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

Re: I know its not a k-5 but hey this is a garage right? leaking radiator f

looks to me like your intake manifold gasket is shot...never seen it seep red like that before, course i still use the old green stuff that cats like to drink....
    pretty interesting, almost looks like its bleeding...
    but theres no question in my mind that at least that gasket needs replacing, why its all red at the over flow i have no idea

10. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Re: I know its not a k-5 but hey this is a garage right? leaking radiator f

I think that what happend was when the dealership recieved the truck it had the green stuff not the dexcool(red) that it should have. The guys on Pickuptruck.com think that it mixed with the green stuff when they flushed it and this is the result so I have to flush it extremely well and then replace the manifold gasket. Yehaa that will be fun. Thanks for all the replies.

SummitXMk