Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I know not another 700R4 Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joshua632, Mar 23, 2004.

1. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Heres the deal I have an 86' Jimmy with a wimpy 305 an old 700R4 and dying 208. I love this truck and am just trying to keep it alive til next month when I take delivery of a 77' 3/4 ton truck with a 350, TH350 and 203. I am swapping the entire running gear from the truck so I will be in good shape then. BUT for now my tranny has been having alittle trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd. I have delt with ODs before but they have always died the other way around (losing OD then working backwards till you lose all the gears) this is new to me because it is fine once it finally does shift so heck I don't know any ideas? Maybe the Governor or something? Any help is much appreciated Thanks in advance.

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

How does it shift from 2-3 and so on? Could be just your TV cable out of adjustment.

3. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

It shifts fine in all other gears. Thats what is so dang weird. I have readjusted the cable because it used to kick down at a little before half pedal. I fixed that problem but still doing the stupid 1-2 shift. Sometimes worse than other. I usually have to really hammer it to get it to shift and thats alittle risky with the near dead 305. Just waiting for the boom ya know.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'm definitely not a tranny guru but when mine wouldn't shift from first into second, it was the 2-4 shift band. Mine was totally broken but yours maybe just worn badly. Hope you figure it out.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I don't think it matters which they tend to die, heck mine died with losing 2-3 shift, shifted fine from 1st to 2nd, but wouldn't go any further.

Basically just needs new clutche plates.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i would check the governer, the valve may have a catch in the bore somewhere.

7. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Im going to check the governor this weekend but I don't have to high of hopes. I guess I just pray she makes it until the begining of April. Thanks guys