Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i know this has already been asked but.... any new ideas for soft top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blkknight_5183, Mar 26, 2004.

1. blkknight_5183

blkknight_5183 Registered Member

i know this has already been covered but i dont want to spend $400 or more on a soft top. Does anybody have any new ideas on a homemade top for an 84 jimmy? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

PVC and a burlap sack? You didn't say you wanted *good* ideas.

Recipe for a new soft top:

Mix unequal parts 2x4's, tarpaulins, and beer.

Oh, and a truck, I s'pose.

-- A

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Staple together old fashioned potatoe sacks, and use sticks to hold it up if you dont have a rollcage. Why you ask... Staples prevent theft, potatoe sacks let the "cold breeze" of summer in /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. blkknight_5183

blkknight_5183 Registered Member

Okay, let me rephrase the question. Does anybody have any GOOD ideas on a soft top? If so do you have any pics?

5. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay, let me rephrase the question. Does anybody have any GOOD ideas on a soft top? If so do you have any pics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to be a d*ck but i would suck it up and buy one!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

opps... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

There was a guy on here who made his own by cutting the hardtop down and stretching some material over that...I think it was "cegusman" or something...I know he's from Texas... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I posted a while back about cutting up my hardtop to make one. Thing is, it's gonna be expensive. Cheaper than can-back, could be cheaper than bestop, depends on your fabric. Right now, I am leaning toward Top Gun, it's a polyester with acrylic coating. Supposedly real durable, and almost as thick as denim. I am still studying cordura to see if it is right. But, to make a long story short, I cut out my windows, and make the window hole much larger, cut out the back tailgate glass channel, and the roof (leave the ceiling ribs in) . This leaves you with less weight, and a factory fit. Then strech the material over it however you want. Top Gun runs you 22-23 a yard, and it takes over 8 yards to cover the top. I wanted vinyl windows and zippers and stuff, so your mileage may vary.

9. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

Hey DwarF if possible could you take some pics and maybe do a write up of how you are doing/did it including what you got and where you got it and how much coin it took to get there? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I can. It won't be real accurate though. The top cutting is manual, so you have a lot of freedom to do your own thing. You can pick your own fabrics, so the price can vary by any God given amount, so it would be more of a "here's an idea, no go fab up your own stuff"

If anyone is intersted though, I could probably get more than one done. But, like I said, the materials I am using are expensive, and it will likely be as much as the besttop.

11. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

i found this pic of a modified hard top on the net one day, can't remember where...
    [​IMG]

Nate /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

Here are some pics of the chopped top. I didn't realize someone had jacked with the cameras exposure settings, so the pictures aren't the clearest. I will take some more of the shell when the weather clears up.

[​IMG]
    I am ordering the supplies tomorrow, I have estimated $280.00 bucks for all supplies. You can easily go cheaper, I got the best of everything I could find:<BR>
    Top-Gun: vinyl coated polyester, (I did some research here if you want to know the details) 6 yards
    30 gauge smoke vinyl: 3yards 2 ft
    #10 YKK Vislon Zipper: 5yards 7 inches
    1x #10 zipper slide, single pull
    2x #10 stops
    50x Stainless Steel Sockets
    50x Stainless Steel snaps & stainless screws
    50x Black Hook caps

I am getting all my stuff from these people:
    http://www.glfi.com/marinecatalog_topgunpage.htm

Depending on how you tailor it, you could get away with much cheaper as well, I only want 2 seams, so I am going to have a good bit of wasted canvas. I also want my windows to be 19" tall, instead of 18 or less, so there will be waste there too.

13. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

how about a picture farther away from the back corner of the k5 to get a better idea of how it looks

not a bad idea

14. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

man DwarF looks like you've got a darn good plan there keep us posted look like it's gonna turn out sweet /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

I got the camera working better. But I can't go back and take the "Before" shots. I have the stuff on order, so in a week, I should be able to post a completed pic.

16. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres mine. I cut the hard top down across the front of the windows, and straight off at the back at the bottom of the window. Then I use it as a frame for the snaps. With the roll bar in the back, I took the truck to a local boat top sewing contractor, and he made the top according to exactly how I wanted it. He charged me $400.00 out the door, which I think is an awesome price.

Just another idea for ya.

BTW, its made of pickup truck tonneau cover material. Its super strong, never torn.

Mike

17. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Has the top weakened any with all the chopping?

18. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

BTTT

19. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

If you don't want to chop up a top, here is what I did. Go get some 1/2 inch electrical conduit from home depot and a 1/2 conduit bender. The conduit is under 5 bucks for a 10 foot stick, and the bender is under 40. Make your own soft top bows, then go to harbor freight, they have self install snap kits and grey canvass tarps. After cutting the tarp to fit, lay it out and liberally coat it with spray silicone, the kind you water proof boots with. I have a 71, so I bent a piece to match the windshield curve, welded tabs so it stuck out over the windshield a bit, then installed the snaps on the BOTTOM of the conduit, so the tarp wolled over the front to keep rain out. I also put some foam insulation on the conduit to seal against the top of the windshield frame. If your creative, you can make the bows use the factory holes, and even fold down when your not using them. Look at some jeep soft tops and your see what I am talking about. I bet I have under 100.00 in mine. Oh, and conduit is galvanized, so if you weld to it, don't breathe the fumes!!