Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I know this has been asked before, but help a brotha out (Recruiters)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I was talking to a guy I was working with today and he was telling me about all the shtuff the Army has to offer n stuff... I've been thinking about what I want to do with my life and can't think of anything, so I figured what the hell... Gave the guy my name and number and he's gonna give it to a recruiter tomorrow... So now I'm pretty sure I'll be bugged to no end by this guy until I make a decision... Any tips for dealing with these guys, or do I just put up with them till I make my choice???

I know there's plenty of Army guys/gals here... or just military in general... Help me out here /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

look my man you need to do some serious soul searching first. i have been in 5 years on a four year enlistment. i was supposed to get out a year ago but the army involentaraly extended me. dont get me wronge i love my country hell id even die for the usa but you have to give up alot. the army was good for me i was a scum ball. i went and now i am an mp. go figure. but any who we dont make alot of cash and we put in more hours a week than the average civilian. so with that said you need to tell the recruter what YOU want. ill tell you what you send me a pm and ill talk to you. ill give you my phone number or you give me yours and well break some bread. you did the right thing by asking. a dude can get royaly screwed if you dont know what to ask for. and to every one else the same offer stands. i know alot about the military and i really think i can help you out. so do yourself a favor and drop me a line.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Think about exactly what you want to do, and don't sell yourself short (Army /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif), plus who has the best lookin' uniforms? That's right, Uncle Sams Misguided Children (USMC)!

John

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

See sig below /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

93 - 98. USMC

loved every minute of it!!!!\

sure , sometimes it sucks, but you leave a better man!!!

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If you are looking for tech training, I'd look to Navy, Air Force, Army, Marines....in that order

Each branch has something different to offer, and they will ALL LIE about programs in order to fill a particular quota...

Get any promises or guarantees in writing....secure a secondary just in case you don't meet the qualifications for your first choice...

When you get in (regardless of choice)...take care of your educational benefits first...get as much education as you can...you can live on very little on base while you build a stash to pay for your education....you will be a different person after your military experience....

good Luck...

I'm a military brat born and raised...

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If you join the Navy, you're gonna see the world. If you join the Air Force, well what the heck do they see? Join the Army, depending on the unit, see the world (Iraq!), join the Marines, ruck up and see the world.......

Ask yourself what you want to do. If you want tech training, then the Navy and Air Force will get ya some cool stuff. There's also good tech stuff in the Army also. If you just want to walk and sail around the world, stopping every so often to either get drunk or kick some dirtbag countries ass, then the Corps is for you.

Answer these questions before you even talk to a recruiter. If you don't know what you want to do, then look around on the Internet, ask us. I think we have a pretty good cross section of MOS's here on the board.

Do ya want to learn medical stuff? Then join up as a medic, maybe Navy and try to get assigned as a "Doc" with a jarhead unit. There's one over on PBB you could talk to.

You like playing with guns and stuff that make loud noises and demolishes stuff? Then combat arms is the place to be and that would be Marines and Army.

The Army has heavy engineers (bulldozers and crap) and combat engineers. Combat engineers rock (don't gloat sapper!). They play with explosives and build stuff and wreck stuff. For example, the Army has some guys that will rappel out of choppers into trees and cut a landing zone with a chainsaw. Now I'm just guessing with this, but with the demolitions experience they get should set you up in the civilian world and they make big $$$$. There is also Explosive Ordance Detachments. That's all they do, is play with explosives.

I myself was an Army Cavalry Scout. Take a combat engineer, a foward observer, an infantryman, a tanker and roll them all up into one, that's a scout. It's a jack of all trades, master of none /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif type of job.

I would tell ya not to join the infantry. High turnover and you beat your body with all the humping. There are cool infantry jobs (Rangers, Force Recon, LRSD) out there, but those are the high speed, low drag types and it's hard, but real rewarding to be one of them.

Don't let recruiters bullshit ya. Furthermore, if you figure out what you want to do, have a backup job just in case. Here's a couple of little stories.

A guy from back home went to join. He would only accept military police. He wanted to be a jarhead I believe, can't remember. The only service that would take him with this requirement was the Air Force. It turned out good for him since he was one of those high speed guys that didn't have to sit at the gate waving people through looking all pretty.

My story. I wanted to be an MP. I decided on the Army cause I didn't want to be on a fawking ship, the Air Force was too wimpy and the Marines said I was too much of a badass /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif for them.

I went to MEPS, went through the whole process of being poked, prodded and felt up all morning. Came time to do the paperwork, they said I couldn't be a MP cause there was no openings. I almost walked out, but when we looked through the computer for openings, scout was open and that's what I did.

Do I regret not being an MP? Nope, I loved being a scout. Did I learn anything technical that can help me in the real world? Well, I can lay down a real mean 6-9 round burst with an M-60, but the mercenary business is dead.

Don't let the recruiters push you into something you are unsure of.

8. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

GO NAVY Accelerate your life /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I have been in the Nav for about 7 yrs. I love it. Like the others said If/When you go talk to them know what you want don't let them talk you into something you arent sure of, and GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING otherwise it doesnt count. I got the 30,000 college fund when I enlisted, but It's not in my record anymore /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif funny how that works. Good luck no matter what choice you make /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Thanks for all the info guys!

My phone hasn't rang with a recruiter on the other end yet... I guess it's not a bad thing, it'll give me some time to decide if it's really really really what I want to do... and decide what I want to do if I do decide to sign up...

Anyway... yea...

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I had it to do all over again, I would have joined the Navy or Air Force I think becuase you get to use your mind more, which is more of a challenge for me.

If you want to be in the military to use your mind, join Navy or Air Force.

If you want to be in the military to use your body, be in the Army or Marines. They'll give it to you, trust me.

The main reason I am having such a hard time is that I hurt my knee really bad in basic training and was encouraged to run on it anyway. I did, I passed my PT test and got my MOSQ and everything, but now I'm hurting. It's been 6 months and I'm still not better. Hopefully with physical therepy I'll be better. I just hate feeling like a whining baby all the time. There's so much stuff I want to do but I simply cant because of this one knee injury that is kicking my ass. My unit is about to go to Iraq, too, which worries me from the standpoint of what if I have to run and my knee locks up? I know that nobody will leave me behind, but the idea that I could get somebody killed just sucks.

I suppose if you played sports in high school it'd be different.

If you like playing with weapons, the Army definitely gives you that too. You just don't realize how much it sucks sometimes to clean them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I got to fire a REAL Stinger missile last Monday though. Let me tell you, nothing beats that!

11. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

be a Marine!!!! Anybody can do it with the right mental attitude, remeber you be IN the Army, IN the Navy, IN the Air Force, or you CAN be a Marine.

Anyway, assuming you are in between 18-22 years old with a High School education the military is a great place to start life off, all of the services would look good on a resume, they all have the same pay and benifits, its really just a matter of deciding what your long term plans are and finding what will fit into them the best. In 91 my best friend in high school was going to be a Marine because his dad was and faught in Vietnam, his brother was and fought in Desert Storm so it was a easy choice for him, he asked me to go with him and i didnt have anything else to do, he couldnt pass the test to get in so he stayed home and now Im a Gunny, (Gunnery Sgt, E-7), just like everything else there are good things and bad things avout the military, alot people get nervous because you have to sign a contract for 4 years, so if you dont like it you caint just quit and go home, the thing is your not suppose to like it in the beginning, thats by design, and it works, iv been in combat trust me it works, but its a honarble job no matter what service or lenght of time you decide to do, serve your country, its worth defending /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you want to be in the military to use your mind, join Navy or Air Force.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a load of crap!!!!!

No matter what service you are in, you have to use your mind.

I actually paid a little bit of a price cause my MOS actually requires use of algebra and geometry. If ya never said a bridge classification done with an M-16 rifle, you've missed out.

Doing simple land navigation can be mind stressing depending on the terrain you have to cross.

The smartest people I have ran into since I've been out have tended to be Marines. It's kind of hard to run into one that was a REMF, yet most Army guys I've ran into drove a desk when they were in.

Like sapper said, it's a good choice for someone in your age group. Myself, I had no $$$ or ambition for college and no skill to do much of anything and it's kind of hard to get hired as a cop before you are 21, plus I felt like I needed to give back a little bit for the country that I have to live in today.

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

im in the Marine Corps so the tip i am gonna tell you will work.

just tell him you are gay, flat footed and have asthma. they will never call again. if they do just be honest and ask him not to call again. then they cant.
    Grant

14. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

The Asthma think does work. When I was 18 I got a call from the man /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif He gave me his best then asked if I had any health issuse. I actually do have asthma and severe allergys. That was the end of that conversation, never heard from anyone again.
    Good luck with your decision /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I've been in the Air Force for going on 15 years now and have enjoyed it all. I'm a weather forecaster or as some say, "A professional weather guesser" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Here are a few things to consider:
    1. Army and Marines generally make rank fast than the others but you put up with a lot more than you would in the air force.
    2. An e-3 in the army and an e-3 in the air force make the same money but compare the work schedules.
    3. If you like camping, join the army or marines. You likely never have to live in the field in the air force unless you are a cop (NOT RECOMMENDED)
    My work schedule for this year so far has been 3 days on / 3 days off...8 hour shifts /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That's like working 2 40hr weeks per month. Now, not all Air force has these schedules, in fact I don't know anyone else who has one like my office.
    Like others said, make sure they tell you/get it in writing what your job will be. If not, they will stick you somewhare you don't want to be..possibly