Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I know this has been asked before, but....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, Aug 12, 2002.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I remember seeing a post about a 1 piece oil pan gasket for a SB 350. Does anybody have a part number for it? I have asked several auto parts stores around, and nobody has it. Most people gave me the /forums/images/icons/confused.gif look when I asked for it. I am leaving for vacation on Friday afternoon, and I need to get the oil pan sealed up. It dumps oil out by the quarts right now (no exaggeration!) /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif . Thanks!

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Shane if you can't find one,then while your at the parts store smacking the sheeeiiiite outta the lacky , grab some gasket material and make your own.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The one I found was made by Mr.Gasket. Try a speed shop instead of a regular parts store.

Rene

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I think the Felpro Permadry Plus is the one piece gasket. The part# is OS34510T.

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I think Milodon lists the Felpro part No. in their website. Check it out.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I found it one Summit Racing's website. That part number you have is for a '75 or newer SBC. The part # for '74 and older is FEL-os34509t. There is a difference at the front of the oil pan. it has little horns that tuck up into the bottom of the timing chain cover. That's why I couldn't get the new ones to seal up. They didn't have the little horns. I guess we learn something new everyday! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

For everyone's benefit:

Fel-Pro One piece pan gaskets. (as told to me by speed shop)
    OS 34509T 'pre '75
    OS 34510T '75-85
    OS 34500R '86-93

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

THE #%#$#$%^&*$#$#@ THING STILL LEAKS!!! I put in the 1 piece gasket and took off for Montana on time. It leaked like a sieve! I re-torqued the bolts while on the trip too. The instructions say 20ft. lbs on the (4) 5/16 bolts (the two up front at the timing chain cover, and the two back by the rear main) and 2 in. lbs on the rest of the smaller 1/4-20 bolts that run along the side of the pan. Also, you are only supposed to use RVT in 4 spots. 2 up front by the timing chain cover, and two in back where the gasket goes up inside by the rear main. I know the pan isn't bent, but I am running out of ideas. Can anybody help me out here? I really don't want to have to put it in the shop for something as "simple" as an oil pan gasket! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

9. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Could it be the rear main crankshaft seal or the front one in the timing cover?

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

There is a possibility that it is the rear main, but the leak apears to be coming out from between the gasket and the pan in the rear, not the block and the gasket. That is why this is so frustrating. I'll check the rear main again though.

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Also, I am going to buy a new oil pan and install it tonight. I had a hard time lining up a couple of the bolts when installing it, so I am wondering if my pan is bent?? It was almost like it was too wide for the block?? I don't think this is normal, but since it was a minimal leak to start with, I didn't think about it. I hope that the fel-pro gasket is re-usable....I'll find out!

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It is re-usable.

Just replace your rear main while you're there...and use non-hardening sealant on the rear main cap.

13. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Good luck with the pan gasket .I went though 4 of them trying to get the fawkers to seal and on the 4th one it finally sealed /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif then after I did that I put the oil plug in and then put the oil in and the fawking oil plug started to leak ( the treaded plug weld broke ) so it is leaking where I go for now because I am not going though that dam oil pan gasket again....mike /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

14. dyeager535

Sorry to hear it, new pan yet?

Hopefully that solves it, should be a "perfect" bolt hole line up in my thinking on that pan issue, no "tweaking" required.

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well, here's a totally cunfuddling one for ya... We got back from our trip, and ever since I have not been pulling the trailer, It hasn't been leaking?? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I have great oil pressure on start up, but as soon as it warms up and the oil thins out a bit, the pressure gets real low at idle (around 7-10 psi) as soon as I step on the gas it jumps up to about 40 psi. There is no strange knocking, no oil drips when I shut down, and the pan is full. I know I am burning some oil (the poor ol' 350 has at least 300K on it) but there is nothing where it shouldn't be. I haven't been able to replace the pan yet (hopefully tonight) and I'll see if that makes a difference in the warmed up oil pressure at idle. This is wierd...I am totally cunfuddled by this one. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Time to put the 454 in! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. dyeager535

Yeah with that many miles, wouldn't be too disappointed with that kind of PSI at idle, but I'm surprised you get that much as the RPM's increase. Thats good that you have so much PSI at least.

Not sure on that leak thing, I've never heard of an oil leak get better by itself! : ) Hopefully it doesn't come back.