Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I know we've covered this issue, just need a few tips, caliper grinding

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jul 26, 2002.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I know we\'ve covered this issue, just need a few tips, caliper grinding

I did a search and didn't find anything useful.

I swear, I've massacred my backing plates and groudn quite a bit on my calipers and my wheels still don't fit. They're 4.125" back spacing which is quite a bit, but still, they should fit with some grinding.

Can anyone give me any tips as to how to tell where the wheel is rubbing the caliper/backing plate? I am trying to use black spray paint and put the wheel on when it's still wet and grind the areas that the paint is rubbed off on, but I'm having quite a bit of difficulty.

Any tips (or pictures of the completed project) would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Re: I know we\'ve covered this issue, just need a few tips, caliper grinding

I ground a good 1/4 inch into it and around 2" or so back to get mine to fit.

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I did as you are. I have from 4-4.5 inces of back spacing. Dana 60 and 15 inch rims. I just finished mine about 2 weeks ago. LOTS of grinding. But just used the paint, bolted them up snug, not tight and spun the wheel, repeat about two dozen times... good to go. I didnt grind on the backing plate at all, just the calipers.

Ken H.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That link doesn't work.

This is a 10 bolt front. I can't even quite get the wheel to bolt down flat on the hub, and I've ground the s*** out of the whole damn setup for the first 2-3" of the brakes.

If anybody has pics, it'd be VERY helpful (this isn't even the first time I've ever done this project, just for some reason it seems like this is more of a PITA than usual. I'm thinking that my wheels have quite a bit more backspacing than my friend's trucks have had).

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif why the f are you grinding a 10 bolt??!?!?!?!?!?

J

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Because I want my wheels to fit so I can put my tires on. It's an 8 lug 10 bolt. 15" wheels don't fit without grinding.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmmm, works for me this morning, try again. Maybe the host was down...

That article covers fitting 15" w/ 4" back space on a D60, but the 3/4 C10 should be similar. The technique I used will allow you to easily find contact points and keep grinding to a minimum. That's all I can provide.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Thanks. The link decided to work for me now. I guess I need to keep grinding the caliper from the looks of it. I've already ground the backing plate until it was pretty thin.

If anyone has pics of a 3/4 ton front all ground up, it'd be appreciated. I'm just worried I'm going to take off too much material.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

oh ok... 8 lug...

J

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

HOLY S***!

I'll never do THAT again. 4 1/8" is too much backspacing! I'd have gone with 3 1/2" or so if I had it to do over.

I MASSACRED my backing plates! Took me a good 5-6 hours.

12. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Im haveing a hard time envisioning why you would need to grind the backing plates.
    Can you take a picture? I'd really like to see that..

Im leaning towards 16 in wheels myself... If only there were more tire choices..

13. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I am also curious abou the backing plate issues.

Ken H.