Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I know you guys all love your 1 tons, but..... *DELETED*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jan 9, 2002.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Post deleted by 84_Chevy_K10

2. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Re: I know you guys all love your 1 tons, but.....

Can I get a Amen!!!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

your truck is basically on tiny tires, therefore the stock junk is fine.
    everyone says over 35-36" tires and wheelin you will eventually be breakin front stuff.
    you web front page shows a few pictures of splashin in a 2" deep mud puddle, if that is all you do then your 1/2 ton stuff will hold up to your tiny tires just fine.
    axles dont break from rpm they need a load.
    something like pulling a hard hill with solid footing covered by a few spots of loose gravel. on the loud pedal to keep momentum and have the tires break loose, maybe hop, then grab real hard.
    like the jeep video <a target="_blank" href=http://pages.sbcglobal.net/ellisond/ibachbroke.WMV>HERE</a>
    now my junk never broke that easy

formerly 77chev
    still a jerk though

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

THANK YOU TIM!! finally some one speaks up for us! 1 ton axles are over kill unless you break 3/4 ton stuff. my 9.5" 14 bolt has better ground clearance than even the shaved 10.5"s. and i don't break it so why replace it? i'm 8-lug just like the 1-tonners.

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Way to go Tim. Behind you 110% on your thought's!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>The darker side of nonsense...</a>

6. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

yeah im with you dude ! my 12 bolts and my dana 44 under my 79 are holding up just fine to 39.5 mickey t's and i only have 4.11 gears.i run it on our property up and down the logging trails and have yet to break anything other than body pieces !! and my 83 im SLOWLY werking back together has over a $1000 in each axle,and i plan on running 38's.with no worries ! it will never see extreme sniper rock crawling,but it will see a little bit.you have to go over rock's when you live in the mountains[​IMG]if i snap a moser axle with a small lil 350 and my 4.56 gears then somehting was defective as far as im concerned. i put a 650 hp +small block in a regular old 79 pick-up long bed and mud raced it for a year on an ALL STOCK 12 BOLT/44 FRONT !! never broke a damn thing.

screw all you 3/4 and 1 ton guy's [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

P.S. this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is just a flame so don't go getting pissed [​IMG]

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

7. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

i put a 650 hp +small block in a regular old 79 pick-up long bed and mud raced it for a year on an ALL STOCK 12 BOLT/44 FRONT !! never broke a damn thing.

<hr></blockquote>
    The key word here is "mud"! If all you're doing is romping around in the mud, 1/2 ton axles are fine. Everybody builds their rigs for different types of wheeling. If you don't need 1 ton drivetrain, don't spend the cash to get it! I run a 14 FF in the rear and a 10 bolt up front. For the type of wheeling I do, it's fine. Maybe someday I'll get into major rock crawling and would feel the need to upgrade to a 60 in the front. I don't think anyone is looked down upon! It's certainly not bragging rights. Build your truck to withstand the abuse you want it to handle!

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator

8. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I'm with yah. I used to mud drag and then I ran tough truck for a year never broke my front 44's. It's a proven fact... Set them up right and take care of them and they will last. Granted there is a time and place for front 60's and if you REALLY need them you should be the first to know. By the way the tough truck used to get some serious air and the 44 lasted, it did have a truss on it though. Like I said take care of it and know your limitations.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Tiny tires huh smartass? I guess those 35x12.50s are getting tinier every day. Most people would think my tires are pretty big.

My 1/2 ton stuff, huh? In over 2,000 posts, you've never even read my signature? You shoot off at the mouth and read my profile, but you didn't even read the post at the top of the page?

I went through that mudhole on my webpage in 2wd. I just thought it looked cool with water spraying everywhere, so I took a picture of it. That was the first time I ever took my truck off road with the lift and tires. It had 3.08 gears then, 1/2 ton axles, and the rear 12 bolt was about to go. It had a stock 305 in there that ran on 7 cylinders due to a burned intake valve. That is not 4 wheeling...but it was fun to screw around in. Today that hole is so deep a truck with 44s was stuck in it once...

One day I'll take some pictures down in the woods--the real wheelin'. There's some swamps out there that will bury you to your bumpers quite quickly if you don't know how to drive. Most of my friends have 38-44" tires so it's even more difficult for me.

My friend Josh has a D44 in the front of his K20. It has a 12" Superlift, 3" body, and 44x18x15 Ground Hawgs. He has never broken as much as a u-joint in that rig, and he thrashes that thing throughly. It has a 350, SM 465 and NP 205.

My other friend has an '84 K20 with a 454, 465, and 205. It has a D44/14 FF combo too. His has 6 + 3 and 39.5x18x16.5 Boggers. He destroys D44 shafts and u joints with absurd regularity on the same trail that Josh has no problems with with his 44s.

My friend Jason has an '80 K20 Suburban with a 10 bolt/14 bolt FF combo. His has 10 + 3 and 44" Ground Hawgs. Same driveline as Josh except he has a slip yoke 205 and his motor is worn out. He has never broken that thing either.

Artie has an '84 K10 LWB with a brand new 350 HP 350, an SM 465, and NP 205. His has 4 + 3 and 38x14.50x15 TSL SX's on a 10 bolt/12 bolt combo. No breakage.

Jason used to have an '80 K10 on dual 10 bolts. It had a 350/TH350/NP 208 combo, 4 + 3 and 38x14.50x15 Ground Hawgs. He got lucky. He never even broke his rear axle.

Then there's me, Tim, with the '84 K10 SWB. I have a brand new 250 hp motor, a 10 bolt/14 bolt SF combo, and currently a 700R4/NP 208 with the SM 465/NP 205 combo sitting in the garage. I have a 4" lift, 35x12.50R15 BF Goodrich Mud Terrains, and I beat the snot out of my truck in an effort to follow the above trucks. I can't say I've ever broken anything at all off road. I have buried my truck in the swamp down to the bumpers, beat the crap out of it trying to get out, spinning the tires, they'd catch on the ruts, using the, "crank and slam" method. I've tried everything I can do on 35s to break this front axle. It just hasn't happened.

I know that I don't know everything about muddin' or off roading. I know that my truck is fairly mild. And I also know that my friends and I are quite lucky to have such little breakage on our rigs. None of us have locked frontends. Most of us have locked rears.

Maybe you need to load your brain before you shoot your mouth.

There definitely is a time and a place for 1 ton axles on these trucks, but it's not on every single one that ever sees the back country. Especially not one with 35s.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Blow me.

Dave

Horn Broken... Watch For Finger.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

11. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Tim, I dont care where the hell you go, I dont live too far away from you and nothing in this area is anything but mud. Youre just not gonna break stuff in mud very often, period. I dont think you seem to understand that there are a lot if not most of the people on this site rock crawl either mildly or wildly. Ive seen 4 snapped front ujoints out of the only 3 times ive done any real rock crawling since I have to go down to Missouri to do that. Anyway, your 1/2 ton stuff is fine for you, but its not fine for a lot of people. I wish you would stop being such a damn know it all and smartass all the time. Youre younger than me I believe ( Im 20) and you talk like youve been wheeling for 20 years when the truth is you only have a fraction of the experience that some of the the others on this site have and they have chosen to put 1 ton running gear under their vehicles. I really dont think you know what youre talking about and thats all there is to it.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

12. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm glad to see everybody's getting along. We'll be just fine![​IMG] Didn't know people had such strong feelings about axles!

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're so much older than me, then you should have learned to read by now. I don't have 1/2 ton axles. I hope that the third or fourth or whatever time this is that I'm typing it out in the same thread will be enough for you.

Tim

14. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

oh im sorry you must have never been in the mud before ? have you ever sat on soft wet clay ground and flashed a 5000 rpm converter with 38's ? i have, so don't tell me it's " just mud ".yeah it's only mud if you actually get into the pit,and some of the stuff we have run through NEVER comes off it's so damn thick and nasty. that truck probably saw more stress on every body part than the sniper has ever even thought about and it only saw mud. i used to also crew for a class 7/8 modified mud racer. the rear driveshaft was only 10 inches long and made from stronger steel than any of us will ever see, and it was snapped like a twig more times than none in " MUD " but the dana 35 front end never seemed to let loose but one time in 10 years !and that was from hitting the jersey wall's at 60 MPH.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I beat every small block powered truck in my class of lifted 33s to 37s at our local competition so I obviously must know something about mud as well.

And, like I said. There is a place for 1 ton axles, but every rig doesn't need them. Yes. Many people here do rock crawl and run trails out west. Great. I'm happy for them. I"m sure they can and do make good use of Dana 60s. But not every single person needs them.

Tim

16. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

And I was thinking about 2 1/2 tons.... J/K.

Chad
    '73 Blazer,383,400,Atlas II,D60/14 Bolt,traclok/detroit,39.5 Swamps <a target="_blank" href=http://members.aol.com/fileholder2meg/projblazer.html>Clicky</a>

17. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

sorry,,after i read that it kind of sounds pissy,,lol wasn't trying to make it that way [​IMG]
    just trying to prove that mud racing put's as much stress on everything as rock crawling does.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

GREAT!! If your 383 can break your 1 tons, GET 2 1/2 tons! But are you going to spend all that money without breaking your 1 tons at least once?

Tim

19. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Hey, it all comes down to what kind of wheeling you do.
    I am a hardcore-deep mud,skeg chewing wheeler.

I started with a 10 bolt and 35's and kept upgrading till I reached the Dana 60 and 44's. That was my choice. That is the kind of wheeling I enjoy. It definately is not for everyone.
    You don't need big one ton stuff to have a good time wheeling.

People do get carried away but don't assume stuff.

I like my one ton shiat and would never go back.

We wheel with friends who have small trucks and tires. We all have a blast together. Wheeling is not only about the trucks but the people.

We just like the big chew. It tatste good [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>

20. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I dont even understand why you had to make a post like this. Is it just to make yourself feel better for some inadequacy you have. Was it to piss people off. Youd do yourself a favor if you just kept your opinions to yourself.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK