Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I let the blue smoke out of the wiring!

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by thedrip, Oct 19, 2005.

1. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Finally got my truck together enough to take a lap around the block, I move it out to the driveway, go get some gas, pour the gas in, eat dinner, go to start it up, absolutely NOTHING, no solenoid click or nothing... then an awful smell.. then I saw the magic smoke coming up between the hood and the cowl... guess I get to spend tomorrow finding out what happened, and then most likely ordering a new wiring harness (it's a hacked up MESS, might as well start from scratch with known good)

2. mtnman

mtnman Scrap metal fabricator Premium Member

BUMMER DEAL DUDE!!!!! Ron Francis Wire Works sells harnesses made specifically for K5s, really good quality stuff. :D

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have an 83 stripped down 4 speed truck dash harness and fuse box . The only cut open wire is the gray by the printed circuit where someone tapped their gauges into the dashlights . We can solder that one blemish .

Its the dash harness only and fuse box , I have the heater harness in my project on a 70's harness I scored from Fred , but your welcome to it ( dash harness ) .

Don't have the engine or lights though .

4. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

It was something underhood that burned. I haven't had time to dig at it yet. Given the condition of all the wiring, I'm most likely going to order a painless replacement harness this week, unless someone has something bad to say about painless, and personal experience with another brand.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Only thing bad about Painless is the price. I've stripped virgin wiring in good shape from junkyard vehicles vehicles more than once, ususally doesn't cost much at all. Just gotta look through a few dozen to find one owned by an old man or someone who never modified the truck. My truggy started out with a perfect original harness from an 89 Sub. Not a single cut wire or broken connector in the entire under-dash or under-hood harnesses. Made converting my 85 24V diesel a snap...

6. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

Bypassed what burned, it runs. Drove it around the 1/2 mile block. Brakes are still a little sketchy, they work great, just the pedal is real low. Steers like a champ, alignment is straight, but my drag link is a hair long, I'll adjust that when I start putting cotter pins in everything. Needs a new tranny pan (has to be warped), and I gotta reseal the front diff. Windshield, then start tuning the motor. Left bank smokes like a 2 dollar whore, I might just swap another motor in.