Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I live a Charmed Life

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Jimmy, Apr 5, 2007.

1. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So I'm road tripping to Beaver Lake... found a dry ujpoint before it seized and thinking Life Is Good.

I made it to Fayetteville where I pulled off for something to eat and gas up...when I heard this Hella Noise... Under the Hood...sorta big Clang and a Flap ...and then the power steering went away.

So I'm thinking "Ok, I broke a fairly new belt." Rolled about 100yds into a NAPA parking lot and went in and bought a belt. While I was putting it on, I noticed the idler pully looked like it was ...uh...not there. WTF!! Didn't make a sound before it just disintegrated. Luckily it didn't get into the radiator.

So I bought a new one...spacered it out with washers...bought the diesel one since it came with the friggin bushing and the one for the 350 Does Not (WTF!!)...So I got $31 in a belt, $24 in a gas idler pulley, $21 in a Diesel pulley and about $1.50 in washers ( since NAPA doesn't have the spacer or the bushing)...Made it up to Beaver Lake and fished all day Thurs (caught7) and then drove to town and got my money back on the diesel pulley.

Knowing what I know now, the spacer and bushing will be in my emergency kit along with ECM, Gas cap, spare Ujoints, and a junked slip yoke (to keep fluid in if I have to pull the DS), along with the spare belt and various fluids.

Knowing that if I had broken down at PepGirls, AZ, or whatever I'd still be broke down. I live a charmed life...I'm gonna buy me a lottery ticket.

2. 1990k5fan

1990k5fan 1/2 ton status

If you lived a charmed life, this wouldn't have ever happened and you wouldn't have made this post :p.

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

And if I Didn't live a charmed life, I could have broke down in the middle of East Jesus somewhere instead of 100yds from a parts store that was Open.

Stuff breaks, we fix it. We all check everything under the hood, etc before a road trip. Sometimes yer the windshield, sometimes yer the bug. Hell, Custer had a plan.