Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I looking at Key Series

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cmoe, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for info on what key style goes with what year. like my '74 has a "K" door key, "A" Ignition key, and my '78 has a "H" door/rear window key, "C" Ignition key (I had the '78 cylenders replaced). What year and key codes do you have?

[​IMG]

Here are a "E" & "H" keys.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No particular order..

I dont think the year matters...there are about 10-20 different "cuts", and different blanks on GM keys..you will likely find any number of non matching "codes" on the keys,for the different locks on any given vehicle..at least in my experience of all the GM vehicles I've owned..

Of course,by the time I bought them,the chances were good the locks had been replaced already..there seems to be no ryme or reason to what year gets whick key code..a locksmith might prove me wrong though..just saying what I have seen on my own vehicles..

I have "K" keys that fit my old 71 K10,(history!),my 79 C10,and a "J" key that fit my 74 K20 ignition..drivers door was a "J" code on most of my pickups..my van had "K" on the ignition,and "H" on the doors..

I have about 200 GM keys I accumulated working at the junkyard, and from friends who towed junkers,and body shops..I was able to find a key to fit almost all the "missing" keys in my trucks ignitions and doors,(and many friends GM vehicles too!)--excepting one door lock on the 74 K20 I had..:doah: ..I kept the doors when I junked it,and saved the locks from some junk 73 K10 doors so I can swap one in and have keys for both..too bad the doors have some rot holes now..:mad:

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Yes I know that lots of the cylinders could have been changed and many key cuts are available (about 100 possibilities). I would love to find all those keys you have but I don't work at a Junk yard. I would like to find out about the keys because I'm thinking about re-keying my '74 to match my '78 K-5. The problem is the ign. one uses a screw to hold it in and the other doesn't. If you come across any "H" door cylinders, "C" Ignition cylinders or extra Keys that you’re willing to let go could you let me know? Thanks for the info.

Also looking for the series that is used for the center console/Glove box locks?

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my '77 is an E/H, as is my '93. i've still got a set of keys to my '91, which is also E/H. dunno what the '73 is though, i'd have to take the duct tape off the column (demo derby secirity system, nobody steals your ignition key, locking your column, and they can never fall out in the middle of a heat. oh yeah and ProJunkRacing's truck is K/J.

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

6. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

83 C10 A ign B door,gloove
    88 Sub A ign B door,gloove,console (barn doors)
    86 Sub A ign D door, gloove,tailgate
    88 V3500 C ign B door

A FYI the jeep CJ,YJ and cherokees all use GM blanks also so the possabilities are endless. :D

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i bought it as an '86 C10, now its no longer a C10, and most of it isnt '86.

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Yes, some Jeep use the same blank ("B46"), which is the same as a GM "J". But it is the only the Ign. that is the same and it still has the same amout of combination.

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Also those with Power rear window what way does your key go in, teeth down or up?

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have a bunch of GM keys , unfortunately I can't part with them . I did find the power rear window switch you can have :D

Anyways keys I have :

My DD
    83 K5 ign = A
    83 K5 door/box = B
    Tailgate key came from another K5 on here with lockswitch I bought = H
    Trail Doors = Cole aftermarket

My trail rig
    Column from Marvs yard , I think 75 pickup = A

My 70 Chevelle
    ign = J
    door/decklid = J

I forgot which of my old Chevy's these fit , can't find my others right now .
    Could be the Monte , could be one of the Chevelles , could be the Chevette LOL .
    ign = C
    door/decklid = K

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

"J" key are hard to find and are great when you key them all the same...