Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Lost a Thread......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Laurie, Jul 13, 2000.

1. Laurie

Laurie Registered Member

Help. My printer died short term and I couldn't print a thread on how to disable the Service Engine Soon light. Now I can't find the thread. Anybody remember?

Hey, I'm a "newbie" now [​IMG].

Thanks for any help.

2. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

you can do a search for it.

Knife.

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

4. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Oh you poor thing!! I usually drop the needle and can't find it in the carpet! Are we talking about the same thing here?? hehehehehe

behemoth K5

5. J.R.

J.R. Guest

laurie, i would agree that sometimes the check engine light comes on for a reason! if it came on do to a bad ground or crossed wire and you cant track it down then just unplug it.

BIGBLOCK MAN

6. Mint90

Mint90 Registered Member

Why would you want to disable it ?? It stores error codes for you ( the computer does). You can reset all codes by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes or so, but if its coming on, there's something amiss. Its simple to check the error codes, lemme know if you wanna know how.

Mint '90 K5, All Stock, All Options, 49K

7. Laurie

Laurie Registered Member

Thanks guys. That light is driving me nuts. It goes on after I've driving slow in downtown traffic, idling at a lot at lights, or cruising the shopping mall looking for that perfect parking space (gotta protect "Baby" ya know [​IMG]).

My mechanic friend will be giving the truck an overhaul, but it may take a while to get to whatever is causing the problem.

Any information on understanding codes is appreciated.

Thanks all. BTW Very funny Behemoth! [​IMG]

8. Mint90

Mint90 Registered Member

Codes: First find the diagnostic terminal as shown in figure 3-2 of the attached. Mine is located under the steering column. You'll need a short piece of wire to read the stored codes ( even a paper clip bent into a U shape will suffice ). Turn the ignition on (engine NOT running). Connect terminal A to terminal B with the wire (maintain this connection). Your service engine soon light will begin flashing. It starts with a code 12 to indicate its working : 1 flash, pause, 2 flashes. It will do this 3 times. Next comes your first fault code. For example if the code were 32, it would flash 3 times, pause, then flash twice. It will flash the error code 3 times, then flash the second error code( if there is one) then third, etc. When all the codes have been displayed, it then flashes code 12 again to indicate its done.

Mint '90 K5, All Stock, All Options, 49K

9. Laurie

Laurie Registered Member

Mint90:

Thanks so much. Will be checking this all out tomorrow. Just bought a bunch of parts for tune up and overhaul of tie rods, stabilizer, etc.

Learning alot lately. Thanks again.