Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I love C-clip axles.

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Ryan B., Dec 18, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Because you sure know it when they break. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Nothing like a **BANG!** and slam of the back end dropping down on the ground followed by your tire and axle passing you by. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Yeah, sure its fun spinning those 35's in the rain with yer 12 bolt... but heres a word of caution, that might have adverse and negative reactions with your drivetrain. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]

I was lucky i broke my axleshaft only a few blocks from my house. I walked back home called a few friends to help me out, grabbed my toolbox, skateboard, oil drain pan, spare axle, and the floor jack... and walked back.
    The axle gouged the inside of the housing pretty good but its okay. It also destroyed the outer bearing and seal. My friend called around on his cell phone and located a new bearing and seal for me at kragens and he drove me there to grab it.
    One of my friends drove home to grab a slide hammer puller to get the bearing race outta the 12 bolt housing... but i managed to pry it out with the pipe handle of the jack! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif By the time my friend got back i already pressed in the new bearing and seal, and was just adding gear oil and i'd be on my way. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    We were laughing because i had my 14 bolt in the back of my truck while all this was going on and we were joking i should just swap it in right there.

So those of you running 12 bolts might want to pack a spare outer bearing and seal along with that spare axle becaue it'll probally take out the bearing when the axle comes out.

Who's bringing a spare 12bolt shaft to frank raines now that i'm using mine? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You're not batting a good average there Ryan. First it is tranny's, now axleshafts. You better lay off the skinny pedal until you have the beef under there.

3. Ryan B.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Just imagine how boring life would be if you drove a "dependable" vehicle.

4. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Tell me was it Raining?

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Glad to hear you got it back together.
    KEN

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Whoops /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Who's bringing a spare 12bolt shaft to frank raines now that i'm using mine?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am thinking the same thing since the Fat man in the Red suit (Santa you smart ass) got my 14 bolt build money...LOL

8. Ryan B.

Tell me was it Raining?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the ground was wet and the tires like to spin in the rain. It wasn't raining until one of my friends showed up and said "well hey at least it's not raining." As soon as he said that it started raining. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Then the rain let up... Another friend showed up and said the same thing. "heh at least it aint raining" And then it started pouring. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Back together in like 2 hours.
    It was on the side of a pretty busy street, people were staring and probally thinking that we're hardcore fixing broken stuff in the rain on the side of the road. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I gave a pair of spare shafts to someone in the club, I think it was 1979Jimmy though, who kinda disappeared. Have I mentioned that he still has my keg tap? I think I have. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Ryan, UYB, Dunerunner! Where are your profiles, guys? Come on, chop chop! Time is wastin! </font color>

10. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Have I mentioned that he still has my keg tap? I think I have.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I remember hearing something like that before /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I will be bringing the 12bolt axle shafts from the axles I got from MJF.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Man that looks ugly, /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif did you ruin the housing at all?
    I think shaggy had a housing he wanted to get rid off?
    I am still thinking about going with 14boltFF but for now I am still ok and I have a spare axle that I can use, same gearing and all, just unbolt the axle put another /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Except I will not drag the whole axle with me when I go wheeling so /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif OH well I will see what happens.

12. Ryan B.

Sweet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif At least someone will have some spare 12 bolt shafts.

The axle was spinning around and chewed up the inside of the axle tubing but it shouldn't matter. It didn't ruin it.
    I don't really want to put any more effort into this 12 bolt considering i have a 14FF thats about ready to go in.
    ...BUT i need to have the front ready too. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    IT'll be a few months still.

13. Ryan B.

Shaggy..
    sorry man been hella busy.
    Between work, changing broken axles, and studying for finals, I've been waaay busy.
    When i get some more time i'll send you a profile.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. UseYourBlinker

Yeah Shaggy been kinda busy. Plus I have alot more stuff goin on the K5 in the very near future.
    12 bolt
    Moser axles
    Detroit locker
    35's
    4.56 gears
    Kenwood deck,and speakers
    Roof rack or Soft top

Been workin alot,and savin up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. UseYourBlinker

Hey Ryan...I will have a extra spare axle shaft once I get my Moser axles ordered

16. Ryan B.

Hey thats cool Eric. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Sounds like me, working a lot, saving up a lot of money... Dumping it all back into the K5! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Hey how much will those moser shafts run ya?
    I'd consider that if i wasn't joining the 8 lug crew.
    Probally a wise investment if you wanna keep that 12 bolt though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

...Almost got the 14FF gears all set up. 4:56's, detroit... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif No corners cut, no expense spared. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    I'm Going to my buddys shop tonight to finish it.

17. UseYourBlinker

Found'em for around $200- plus I need to get wider bearings.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Eric - just send me what you have, it can always be changed later, no big thing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Ryan - what's the matter, can't find 15 minutes to kill to help a brotha out? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Ryan,

I've got the original and complete 12-Bolt axle out of my K5 still sitting on the side of my garage. If you come and take the whole thing, you can strip whatever spares you want from it!!! ....don't make me bring this thing to New Hampshire!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

(This is in keeping with the "Give Ryan the Parts He Needs" philosophy we've already established!) /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

20. UseYourBlinker

Allright Shagg's I'll work on it later tonight.