Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I love Chinese metal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spearchucker, Jun 26, 2004.

1. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Hese's what's left of my ball joint tool from Harbor Freight. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Guess I can call it quits until I get another one.
    The metal is crystalized where it's broken. I thought that only happened when metal got old and fatigued. Or is that just cheap metal? It's only been used a handful of times. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Thats what cast iron does when it breaks....And yes most tools from China suck....Sorry man /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If I were you I'd just rent the autozone ball joint press the next time you need it.

It's $99, use it, bring it back, get a refund.

That is unless you don't have the 'Zone in your area.

Having previously worked at Autozone I'd say their tool loaner program is among the biggest benefits to being a customer there.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

one of my friends had one of those, had the same thing happen the first time he used it. his broke in the center of the C not near the end like yours did.

i just got done doing ball joints on my truck, having a press at home is great /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I broke a c clamp that way

Anyway, what did you really expect? A miracle?

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

cowboy up and buy the snap on set used mine thousands of times for all kinds of stuff I shouldn't have and not so much as a scratch!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    cowboy up and buy the snap on set

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a link or part# for the one you have and the approximate price?

I like having my own tools at hand and not having to run to the store to rent them. I just got an Autozone in my area last month and already rented from them. I may have to do that again but I think my vise will get me by for now.

And yes, I was expecting a miracle out of this $36 piece of crap /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    cowboy up and buy the snap on set

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a link or part# for the one you have and the approximate price?

I like having my own tools at hand and not having to run to the store to rent them. I just got an Autozone in my area last month and already rented from them. I may have to do that again but I think my vise will get me by for now.

And yes, I was expecting a miracle out of this $36 piece of crap /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

dang! I bought mine on sale from HF and paid $17.99. It's lasted a couple years now and has done the ball joints on two superduties.
    Maybe you got a bad one....from China. (yeah...it could happen /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen OTC ones on sale in tool flyers for less than 100 bucks--I didnt have 100 bucks,but i did thave some 2 inch tubing like the reese hitch stuff--so I built a mini press frame out of it with 3/4 inch threaded rods and 2 peices of the square tubing,and I use my bottle jack and appropriate peices of pipe to press the balljoints out--its a pain to set up,but I dont think it will ever break!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    P.S. Its not chinese metal--its our rotted old junk coming back to haunt is in the guise of cheap tools-!.

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

11. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

I bought one of the OTC sets. Quite a bit more money but it's excellent quality and it's made in the US with American metal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    wow /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_det.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=12145&group_ID=1631&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

i'm a diehard Snap On guy and own a ton of their stuff, but that seems pricey... i could see half that.. i'll be looking thru the tool flyer for that one when i need it.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When I win the lottery I want to start using Snap-on tools /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif For that amount I think I could buy every ball joint press HF has and just live with breaking them on every other ball joint.

13. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i can see if ya did em once a week or so... but for the occasional use, something more thrifty is in order. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    i run about 70% Crap On... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    [​IMG]