Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I LOVE my Suburban, but...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wallew, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wallew

wallew Guest

I own a 91 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4. I'm about halfway through it's resto/mod. I keep going down to a guy who sells Unimogs and Pinzguaers, and the pull is strong. I was originally thinking a MOG, but after driving both and talking to the owner of the shop, I am reconsidering a Pinzie. AND NO, I don't work for this guy. Just found his stuff pretty intense.

Course, I would have to sell my Sub, but hey, that's life.

Also, the guy has new and used MOG axles that ANYONE could swap in their 4x4 that would make it tuff as nails and I think it MAY allow actual shift on the fly, but don't hold my feet to that fire.

Rear axles:
    http://www.coldwarremarketing.com/images/mogaxle.jpg

Front axles:
    http://www.coldwarremarketing.com/images/mogclip.jpg

Anyone considering upgrading their seats? He sells these (in LOTS of colors) for $600 A PAIR!

http://www.coldwarremarketing.com/images/customseats.jpg

His website:
    http://www.coldwarremarketing.com/

I know, I know. Hearsy. BUT, the Pinzies will eat a jeep for breakfast.

Website of the Pinzie club. Click on "TRIP REPORTS" and then peruse the MOAB 2003 & 2004 trips they took! WHOA :
    http://www.pinzgauer.org/

And if you have REALLY DEEP POCKETS he has a Swiss tank for sale. But nah, WHO NEEDS A TANK?

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Parts will kill you....$425 for a distributor cap????

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I say troll...... :rolleyes:

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Whats that i smell? Could it be SPAM?

5. wallew

wallew Guest

rtfg & j

I'll tell you what it's all about. My current ride is my FOURTH SUBURBAN. Plus I've also owned a 1977 4x4 Chevy van. THAT'S PRIOR to GM offering any 4x4 vans.

As I'm NOT a member and probably NOW WON'T JOIN, you two can suck my exhaust pipes. I'll HAPPILY send you pictures of my CUSTOM INTERIOR of my Suburban. FOUR SUBURBAN captains chairs (with arms) with MY COMPANY NAME AND LOGO EMBROIDERED ON THEM, RUBBER FLOORS because I get it DIRTY and tons of mods most of you yahoos don't even KNOW.

At the age of 51, I've owned and modified more trucks and cars than 99% of you here.

My first car? 1964 1/2 Mustang convertible, 289 V8 with a Shelby 3/4 grind cam, hydraulic lifters (that I adjusted every FRIDAY night before I went out street drag racing Corvettes), dual exhaust, with a 4 speed and a racing clutch. I ate CORVETTES for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That was 1972. So, how about YOU?

Troll my @ss! By the way, what's it feel like going EIGHTY MPH down a dirt road SIDEWAYS in a 1977 Ramcharger with a 440? I know, because I've done it. How about you?

Well, I gotta go pick up some furniture my wife just bought in my SUBURBAN.

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

LoL... you go, old man! :waytogo:

7. Afireinside

Afireinside Registered Member

How were you adjusting those hydraulic lifters:confused:

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Back 'em off till they start to clack, tighten till they stop, then one more full turn.

Can't see having to do it every week, though. :dunno:

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've always been a fan of German engineering....started with an old VW Bug that I bought in college, and have admired the way they solve design problems ever since.

Certainly NO argument about UniMogs (can speak for the Pinzgauers since I haven't spent any time studying up on those) they are cool machines. The axles are CHEAP and have nice deep gears, and mile-high centersections that give a 38" tire the ground clearance of a 44"!!!!

I know a lot of guys that have used Mog axles in their Blazers.

......ok, I only know of ONE guy that did it. BUT IT WAS REALLY COOL. Now I have a set of 404s sitting in the garage so that I can try the same thing.

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Thinking about the HULK right?

im not saying unimogs and pinsaurs arent cool vehicles, they are. I'd get one, but not in exchange for what I am happy with.

In addition, unless its a newer one, the old ones were terribly under powered.

11. wallew

wallew Guest

GW2k,

When you go out HUNTING CORVETTES EVERY FRIDAY night, YOU better be able to put your MONEY where your mouth is.

I consistently took $20 - $100 from Corvette owners in Houston on a REGULAR basis. Good thing too, cause I went through three race clutchs in a year and a half.

I also bumped the dwell just a smidge and set the carb a shade rich. I fabbed a small aluminum plate that kept the oil from getting all over me. It attached to the valve cover bolt holes on the fender side.

P,

Hey, I can get a CUSTOM Pinzie for about what I am going to spend in just rebuilding my 350 V8. That's WHY I'm considering it.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

When I bought my axles, I spent some time talking to the guy that runs an import company for Unimogs in the SF Bay Area. He had all sort of complete trucks around and it was great to hear some details about them. The thing that DID scare me was the one he was pulling the motor from.....apparently the only way to get the motor out is to first REMOVE THE ENTIRE BODY from the running gear!!!! I forget the number of hours he said it takes but it was at least 12. Only then, could he get to the engine to do the work he needed to get done.

I have to admit, that didn't seem like "German thinking" at it's finest. :yikes:

...and yes, "The Hulk" is the only Blazer I've ever seen with Mog axles. I just started swapping emails with that guy recently (Robert Bryce) since he seems to be "the man" to talk to about cool 'Mog axle mods.

13. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Agreed but Hydraulic lifters don't lose their adjustment. I can see adjusting mechanical lifters every week to get an edge, just not hydros.

*shrug* Whatever turns you on, though.

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

15. wallew

wallew Guest

GW2K,

DUH, I AM loosing it. They WERE mechanicals (solid) lifters.

Thx for correcting me. Hydraulics is what is in just about every vehicle I've owned since.

SORRY for the brain fart folks. I AM GETTIN OLD.

16. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Mystery solved!! :doah:

17. wallew

wallew Guest

Considering selling my 91 GMC Suburban

Well,
    I finally found what I'm looking for. A 1979 Volvo TGB 20 aka Volvo C306 6x6 Fire Rescue truck.

Here is the link:

http://www.xtremevehicles.com/html/vehicles_in_stock.html

Scroll down to either the C306 Fire Rescue OR the TGB 13. Both are 6x6 offroad vehicles.

Just a shade longer than my Sub, just a shade higher than my Sub. HOWEVER, it only has a six cylinder engine, which I consider a negative. However, the Volvo's use the same motor that Volvo put in their 164 automobiles.

That means I can find cheap parts (difficult for a Pinzie) and can even use the automatic tranny (not available for current Pinzie). Plus can add AC, etc by just purchasing the parts from a wrecked 164 and scavenge.

OK, they are BOTH bricks on SIX wheels, but they are plenty of inside room. Kind of mini-RV.

So, if anyone is looking for a REALLY CLEAN 91 GMC Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4 350 V8 Dual AC custom interior (four capt chairs), drop me a line. I live in Denver, Co.

Jim W
    whiterivr@msn.com

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

wow, i wanna see this $1000 custom pinzie! im sure its a REAL fine machine. :screwy:

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't give a rat's ass how many cars you've messed with, you probalby don't know squat about trucks. take your street racing bragging back to 1972, we don't care.

That isn't the correct way to adjust hydraulic lifters, and as you stated, it would not be necessary to do it on a weekly basis.

I smell b-u-l-l-s-h-i-t in this thread.

20. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think you meant at the age of 15...

I'd like to hear of these mods that the biggest, baddest, Chevy 69-91database doesn't even know of.... :p:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.