Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I love my truck!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hobbes68, Jan 1, 2001.

1. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

Every once in a while something happens that re-affirms my love for my truck. About a week ago a woman decided she needed to turn right from the middle lane when I was already in the right lane. She was about half a car length ahead of me with her right rear fender even with my left front fender. We were travelling about 15 - 20 mph when she proceeded to move into my lane without signalling or looking (presumably) if it was clear to do so. I locked up all four wheels -- not an easy feat with 35" tires. Unfortunately I wasn't able to stop soon enough and she hit me. A chill went down my spine at the sound of the crunch. Never a good sound to hear with your own vehicle. She pulled ahead and I saw her whole fender smashed from front of the wheel well to the rear bumper and taillight demolished. We stopped and she apologized as best she could in the extremely broken english she spoke (I think she was Japanese). No one was hurt so I assessed the damage to both vehicles. A very nice quarter panel repair for her body man and absolutely nothing on my truck. Except maybe a few scratches on the plastic strip on my bumper. Her Toyota HAS to have at least $2000 to $2500 worth of damage to it. Even when I look at it in the daylight, I still can't believe that there's no damage to my truck.

Then a few days later we get 12 - 18 inches of snow here and I have absolutely no problem getting around in all the mess.

I really love my truck!

2. undertow

undertow Registered Member

its is wonmderful...something to tell yoiur grandkids.

[​IMG]

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Oh, I know that feeling! We've always had Blazers since I was born, 18 years ago, and we've had a couple of accidents. The ol' 78 locked horns with a Buick and the Buick's front fender lost. My dad, being the knowledgeable motorist he is, decided to have the cruise control on out on the highway when it was icy. He took the '81 right into the ditch, at highway speeds, it took out the fence and only punctured the truck's gas tank. Now I guess it was my turn because it had been a decade since a Blazer incident. A lady was behind me at a stop sign and her foot slipped off the brake and her Explorer's bumper nailed my tow hitch reciever. She had a chunk out of her bumper and my hitch rust wasnt even stirred up. Its a shame that we can only impact absorbtion death traps of cars now. Gotta love the 4 wheel tank called K5.

"An old Blazer never dies, they just... rust away."<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Blazer_Boy on 01/01/01 05:10 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I do have a little bit of fear that someday I will be in an accident and severely injure or kill someone because of the mass and height of my truck. And then it really would be my fault, because I built the thing this way, even though there are all of these warnings about collision dangers with SUVs and they are talking about those low-rider plastic-bumpered things. In a head-on, my K-5 would probably take out a Civic driver with the front axle.

I guess I am more afraid of the Feds passing bumper-height and impact absorbtion laws than stricter emissions standards. We can add cats and even swap in high-tech MPI engines, but what do we do when we're just too heavy and high with too stiff of a frame? Of course, now that the election is finalized, we don't have to be quite as nervous.

"Big? No, these tires might be big for your Jeep, but they're just temporary for my K-5" [​IMG]