Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I LOVE Quigley 4x4 Conversion Vans!!!

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by 350350, Feb 14, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I have watched these on Ebay, and in my entire life I've only seen two in person, all the rest on the internet. One was a mid-'70's version, this one is a really nice '89 just up the street from me! I need it!!!

It's an '89 with 96,000 miles in 'Good' condition. It's been used so not mint by any means, but good to go. Runs and drives good with no mechanical problems. Has front and rear mounted reciever hitches.

Asking price is $9,900. I would love to buy it but the price seems high and it would have to be a daily driver for my Wife, which would be a little impractical...

One day though I'll have a Quigley... I Will!!!

This picture is crappy because it was almost dark when I took it and I had to doctor it to get it to look decent at all. It's a nice looking van though. 4x4 High-Top van has to be top-heavy as Hail!

If you would like to donate to the "Paul 'X' Quigley Fund", I take any form of currency or for that matter anything I can sell for cash! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[​IMG]

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think all 4x4 vans have to be top heavy as hell, I am going to be doing a SFA conversion on one very soon. My buggy has an 89 Astro van that we transplanted a 305 V8 into. We are taking one of my Dana 44s and then trying to find a rear axle and lifting it onto like some 33s. I'm gonna take him wheeling with me at Paragon, will be funny to see my buggy crawling on the beginner trails with a minivan /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

3. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if the Quigleys are a van body set on a truck frame, or if they graft a SFA under the van unibody?

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I'll have to go take a closer look at the one up the road... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

All of them I've seen are an axle grafted onto the unibody.

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Paul, check out Pathfider Vans.
    They sell the kits for the do-it-yourselfers.
    Basically everything but the axle, driveshafts and transfercase can be purchased from this place.
    D-I-Y kits
    I've been looking into the stuff myself and gathering a few of the big parts I'll need if I do this.
    I've wanted a 4wd van ever since I first saw one, there are a bunch rolling around my area, mostly Fords though.
    The best ones to do the conversion to are Fords or the newer style Chevy's becasue of the body on frame construction, But if you don't have much rust the older Chevys look cooler.
    Here's another one I found a nice shot of:
    [​IMG]

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I have 5 one-ton 460 4WD vans and one new GMC Savana AWD van now. Quigly conversions are only available on band new vans through the dealers and cost about $10,000 to get done. Pathfinder vans aren't being made anymore as far as I know. Most of mine are Pathfinder but I had a 96 converted by a company in Salt Lake called Advanced 4WD. It cost me about $9,500 to do. They did a much better job than Pathfinder set-ups. If your really looking, keep in mind that the van you are looking at is almost free, your just paying for the conversion. I have a rusted out 1980 E-350 that I have retired but I'm not sure what to do with it. Mechical is in good condition but the body is crap. I thought of putting my old Ranger body on it and take it to Moab but I just don't know if I can find the time /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    I keep thinking I should sell it but the parts are worth more to me than the van. When I get a breathing moment, I'll put up some pictures of them for you. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    BTW, I don't use my personal one for wheeling but it makes a pretty good tow vehicle.
    Dave

7. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Paul, check out Pathfider Vans.
    They sell the kits for the do-it-yourselfers.
    Basically everything but the axle, driveshafts and transfercase can be purchased from this place.
    D-I-Y kits
    I've been looking into the stuff myself and gathering a few of the big parts I'll need if I do this.
    I've wanted a 4wd van ever since I first saw one, there are a bunch rolling around my area, mostly Fords though.
    The best ones to do the conversion to are Fords or the newer style Chevy's becasue of the body on frame construction, But if you don't have much rust the older Chevys look cooler.
    Here's another one I found a nice shot of:
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I only looked real quick, but where is the pricing for the DIY kits??? I would love to do this to my current van!!!

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Here is the parts page w/ prices: prices

I think I figured somewhere around $1200 for just the parts from them, then you still need the axle, transfer case, . . .

Quigley's are really nice, and built really well. The thing I like about the pathfinder stuff is that you can find the perfect van for you and build it yourself and make it just as good a quality as a Quigley but have it customized to your specifications from the get go.

I can do everything but the welding for mine. I'm still looking for the parts to try and keep my anti-lock brakes and cruise, so I need a newer case with the electronic output rather than the cable. I want to make mine a true 3/4t so I'm gonna be looking for a 14FF from a van with anti-lock and I need to find a set of rotors for the front 8 lug 10 bolt that have the tone rings. I'm also thinking about looking for a van hydroboost system and having the short draglink made like a rock rod rather then the skinny piece that Pathfinder sells. Auuugh the challenges I give myself. I figure if I get it done though it will be really worth it.

I guess this is a good question, did any SFA 3/4t truck ever come with anti lock brakes or am I screwed on keeping my anti lock brakes?

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Thanks for the link! I used to have a '79 Vancharger van that was converted by Pathfinder Equipment. I've had some brand new bushings, that I bought and never installed, kicking around in a drawer for MANY years. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I sent that guy an email to see if he can use them. I just knew that someday someone would need them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here is the parts page w/ prices: prices

[/ QUOTE ]

You ROCK!

I would also rather do it myself! For lots of reasons. Like you said I love the van we have, and it's about ready for a new motor/trans anyway. Body is still great. I can do all the fab myself.

For our needs at first, I'd just build it light-duty and keep it stock height. Probably keep it 10-bolts front and rear and 235/75-15 Mall-Terrains all around. Basically a 4x4 Car for the Wife and Kids. Then in a few years if/when we can afford a new van, I can lift this one!

I'm excited. Especially if I can buy the parts a little at a time. I'm a lot more likely to be able to afford it that way. And it's more fun to scavenge for good deals too!

Oh, so many cool projects and so few years left to live!!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

This is a really nice conversion with a solid body and a clean interior, tv/vcr, soon to be replaced with dvd system. With a 4x4 front/rear posi system under it that will handle stock sized tires it should serve Mall and Wal-Mart duty in the hills of Virginia just fine. In a few years I can lift it and take it trail riding with the kids and family and camp in it and replace it with an AWD Savanna for the daily driver? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif So many options. So many ideas. So little time.

[​IMG]

12. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, so many cool projects and so few years left to live!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that is exactly how I feel.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll need to lift it about 4 inches to have clearance for the axle and suspension up front. Back in the days when you could order the Pathfinder conversion on a new van, they had a few requirments that you had to order. The ones I recall are:

1) It had to have a decent sized V8. For Dodge this meant at least the 360.
    2) It had to be an automatic tranny.
    3) It had to be a 1-ton series chassis. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I guess they didn't want folks trying to go wheelin' in a 6-banger powered truck with a 3-on-the-tree tranny. The 1-ton thing must have had something to do with beefiness of the frame, axles, brakes, etc. Maybe since they used factory parts where they could, and they had a factory warranty, they wanted to minimize breakage. Though that wouldn't explain why they stuffed a Dana 44 under the front of mine... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1) It had to have a decent sized V8. For Dodge this meant at least the 360.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Problem! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I've got the 230hp TBI in the van now, and with the engine rebuild I can easily see 250hp out of it. (Will probably be a mild 383 that can still be run by the stock TBI system...) Still probably underpowered IMHO for as big as tht damned thing is, but it actually runs good enough now to get in and out of traffic and cruise at about 85 on a long roadtrip.

[ QUOTE ]
    2) It had to be an automatic tranny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a buddy that put a Muncie Rock Crusher in an old Ford Van once and drove it a Gazillion miles like that. He simply ran the shifter up through the floor wherever it came up from the transmission, and then made one hellaciously long and funky-looking shift lever that came right up to the driver's right hand. It worked great. Not sure I'd want to do that in this van though. But still a thought... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    3) It had to be a 1-ton series chassis. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet! I guess even with stock tires, the weight of the van would probably warrant at least 3/4 ton status. With the fender flares on it like it has already, it could handle a 15x10" rim easily already so maybe something like a 31x11.50=15 with 1/2 ton axles would do??? I think they would look alright even with 4" of lift. Right now 235/75-15's look stuffed up in there pretty good.

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Right now 235/75-15's look stuffed up in there pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but the 255/70R 15's look beefier!
    The smallest lift they offer is the 3 1/2"
    I was thinking about either the 5 1/2" or the 7 1/2" since I'd like to run 35's under my van, but again that may be overkill. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

16. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Right now 235/75-15's look stuffed up in there pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but the 255/70R 15's look beefier!
    The smallest lift they offer is the 3 1/2"
    I was thinking about either the 5 1/2" or the 7 1/2" since I'd like to run 35's under my van, but again that may be overkill. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My vocabulary does not include the word 'overkill'. What does that mean??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If your tires aren't rubbing, they aren't big enough. If your motor isn't breaking things, it isn't powerful enough. If you're not breaking differentials, drive shafts, or transfer cases, you're not trying hard enough!!!

17. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

hmmm, my tires do rub though! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I know what you mean though.
    I can't even start on this project until I get my wife another set of wheels big enough to haul the whole family in.
    That doesn't mean I can't start collecting parts now though. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

18. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some Quigley Action from Neuroc up at Paragon.

19. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Saweeeeeeeeet! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif