Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i love the dealer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by milspecjimmy, Sep 24, 2002.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

lately i have been getting a bunch of crap from the local parts stores, things fail, or dont fit right. so in a bold move i started going to the local gmc dealer. let me tell you this, the myth of parts being way over priced is not true. all gm parts wome with at least a 12 month 12k warranty, and the parts are suprisingly available for our 2nd gens. AND THE PARTS FIT. lol. just had to let that out /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yeah, sometimes they aren't too bad. I usually only go to them as a last resort. Ususally for specialty items only. But hey, sometimes you just gotta!

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have had that experience as well.
    I have looked for stuff aftermarket that I assumed would be beyond budget at dealer, when I cannot find the quality and succomb to the dealer it sometime turns out cheaper then the aftermarket junk.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah they are really not that bad. I had to get a Cab seal for the Lady's 79. $40 from LMC plus shipping. $46 from the dealer a mile away and had it the next day.
    Cover over the fill neck was $12 as I recall. Battery tray was $13. Complete bolt in battery tray for driverside is like $27.

5. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

ATA BOY !!!! Spread the gospel !!!
    Jim

6. GadgetK5

GadgetK5 Registered Member

Funny. I just called my local dealer today (Paradise Chev.) to locate a shop manual for my '83; the guy almost laughed at me. He said *IF* I can get it, it'd take weeks to deliver. I was able to get it directly from Helm with no problems.

I also tried getting information on the stock carb / distributor (elec) a couple of years ago, and got nowhere.

Perhaps I should have headed down to San Diego to see JIM88K5! At least I know who to call in the future /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Seems to really depend on the dealer. I had a guy back in Alabama that was a gear head that worked in the parts dept. He could cross reference most anything and source it from where ever. Then you go to a different dealer that cant look up the correct oil filter. Burt here in Denver is pretty good, the others basically suck. If you find the right guy at the right place they are invaluable

8. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Butch you hit the nail on the head. No matter where, dealer, nappa, auto zone , kragen , pep boyz ect... you will find a non-car oriented dork. Guys or Gals for that matter, that are into motorsports will be the best type of counter person for cutomers like us. I know very few counter guys that can read between the lines. Most dont tinker with cars or trucks in their spare time and just dont have the broad knowlege to help a guy with "all the wrong" parts on his rig. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Bet the guy wasnt even born yet...
    Jim