Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I met a guy today I think is full of crap!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jul 14, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

there was a guy here putting carpet in my dads new house, and he had a 454 he claimed was all stock except the intake (listening to the thing he's full of (yea you know)).

this guy claimed he was getting 14 MGP with a carb??? is this possible?

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Maybe going downhill with a strong tailwind in neutral. [​IMG][​IMG] I've always been thrilled if I ever got anything approaching 12mpg from a big-block. I'm guessing his speedo isn't calibrated correctly, and the odometer shows that he travels farther than he really does. That's about the only way he would be seeing 14mpg. LOL!

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</A>

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Kind of like the guy I know with a '94 2wd dually, 454, 5 speed, airraid, headers, chip, flowmaster, blah blah blah. He claimed 19 if he's easy on the gas. Talked to my chief mechanic about it and he said the guy was full of stinky stuff too. I would have to say that if a carbed 350 can't pull more than about 11-12 (close?) there's no way this guy can pull 12 from a carbed 454. Heck, my dad had a '76 K5 with a 400 and he couldn't get more than about 9 out of it.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

My father-in-laws 454 burb is fuel injected and it only gets 10-12 mpg

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

With street tires propper gear and over drive yes it can be done. I have a friend that has managed 16 with a built small block 400 TH400 tranny and 35's. He had Holly Projection and had the box mounted where he could reach it to make adjustments. On long level road he could lean it down and pull it off. He has a GPS so I can believe it.
    I know somebody with a 88 sub that regularly got 14mpg and it was bone stock.
    Now your guy may have a fast speedo and have a bad reading but it is possible. Your right foot has a lot to do with MPG and most of us cant help but get in it. Maybe this guy can. Displacement doesn't always govern MPG. Sometimes a big motor has to work less hard then a small motor. This is especialy true with a big block. If the guy has 3.08s a sb 350 would have to hold gears longer to get it moving. The BB would be able to deal with the extra load since it makes more torq and can overcome the lower gear and run a lower RPM.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</A>

Grim-Reaper

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I had a 454 in an 82 C30 dually and it averaged 12-13 mpg with a Quadrajet. It was all stock too, except for a Ranger overdrive. Gearing and driving style can get some extreme mileage out of a big block.

<font color=red>What would Brian Boitano Do?</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Who is towing him for the other 5 mpg or it's a 2 wd and he has a key to a gas pump........

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

This is very possible, but chances are if they guy seemed like a Nitwit then he probably is full of it. I have no clue what the setup is, but I know a friend of mine was getting approx. 13-15 w/ his 1985 2wd pickup. 454 w/ a 4 spd. Not sure what gears he had. He did have headers and 2 1/2 duals. Obviously was stock sized tires.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

9. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

What is the Ranger overdrive? I heard rumors or a gear box that bolts between the trans, and the t-case that gears somethign like .7 to 1 for highway use.????

You call that dirty!?

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I got 13.5 to 14 with mine on my Swampers...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

11. solowookie

man you guys gotta stop telling me all this! next thing you know I'm gonna end up with a 454 under the hood, and do you know what my wife would cut off if I came up with that brain storm???

I heard a really nicely build 454, and man it rumbled power like I'm sure you couldn't get out of a small block. I got to thinking, man I gotta have one of those! [​IMG]

12. tRustyK5

You just need one of those "money is no object" moods Jeff...
    If all else fails, throw money at it!
    While yer at it get me one...[​IMG]

Rene

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Totally can be done !!

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

14. solowookie

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

You just need one of those "money is no object" moods Jeff...
    If all else fails, throw money at it!
    While yer at it get me one...

<hr></blockquote>

man I've been in that 'money is no object' mood WAY to much lately. now I've gotta turn around and start being careful with the stuff, but now that I know it is possible to build a nice 454 and still get OK MPG I think I'm a MORE interested in that option then the 383 now.

15. tRustyK5

If its built right a 454 should have to work way less than a smallblock to move the truck down the road. Of course it will always have the capabilty to get worse mileage...depending on how you drive it.

My wife has had 2 Mustangs in her life...a 4 cylinder mustang and a GT with the 5.0 Liter. The GT consistantly gets better mileage than the 4 cylinder one ever did. It just takes so little of the 5.0's power to move the car down the road where the 4 cylinder was always straining.

Rene

16. solowookie

It just takes so little of the 5.0's power to move the car down the road where the 4 cylinder was always straining

<hr></blockquote>

you know that actually makes quite a bit of sense, but even then I didn't figure that it could be quite that good. I thought man, 454 I'd be real lucky to get 10 MPG, and that is the big reason I wasn't looking at a 454 in the first place. If I can get a big block built right, and I can get 14 MPG if I keep my foot of the gas (most of the time... LOL) then there is no question which direction I'm gonna go.

17. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I know this is going to sound 'impossible', but a guy here in a town just outside of me has an '84 K30, 454,400,205,D60,14FF,4.10's, and Holley Pro-Jection. Tire size is 33" Wild Countries and he said he gets 18 mpg!!! Now try and figure that one out!!!

18. solowookie

I know this is going to sound 'impossible', but a guy here in a town just outside of me has an '84 K30, 454,400,205,D60,14FF,4.10's, and Holley Pro-Jection. Tire size is 33" Wild Countries and he said he gets 18 mpg!!! Now try and figure that one out!!!

<hr></blockquote>

man that kinda sounds like a fish story huh??

19. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

That's what I've been thinking too. My 454 install should be finished within a month (you know, $$$ problems). The best mileage I could get out of my stock 350 with 31" (actually 29") tires and 3.07 gears was 11mpg. And that was carefully measured in a no traffic, no passing, no more than 55mph lonely road. Let's hope I get better mileage with the 454.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>blazer79.coloradok5.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

20. solowookie

man you probably oughta be changing those gear ratio's too... I'd assume thats gotta be quite a bit of your mileage problem.