Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I might as well piss on my windshield

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by duece21, Feb 1, 2004.

1. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I'm not a big fan of the wiper mounted washer nozzels on my 87 Jimmy, especially when it snows and have to drive behind big rigs on the way to work. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I was just wondering if anyone here has tried to convert to a hood mounted washer nozzle or knows someone who has tried. I can get the parts at my work, and with the washer pumps we use on freightliners I think it will be more than enough power to spray on the windshield from the hood. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Any thoughts i would appreciate it.
    jesse /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't have any ideas that will help except just take all the parts from an older rig, but my 89 Burb has the wiper mounted sprayers and I must say I like them a lot better than the cowl sprayers I had on my 84 K5.

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Don't follow so close....
    Use the wet spray from them to clean windshield....
    Turn them off sometimes to eliminate the 'smear'....

You are not one of those people that go through a gallon of fluid every other day are you???? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

ummm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif maybe its the style of nozzle that is on my arm or could be the original nozzle's and their just wore out. I can get them cheep anyway, I'll try adding new ones then see. I just wanted to know if anyone else was having a problem with theirs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

no, it takes a gallon to fill up my resevoir, and I do all those things that you said. My prob is that the nozzel barely sprays any fluid on the shield and just smears the dirt from the plow trucks all over. Got so bad one day had to drive w/ me head out the window like my dog. Ive got brand new blades as well. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I didn't like my wiper mounted ones either. I bought a universal replacement set that go on the hood in the ricer section at AutoZone for $10. they work pretty good. They put out a lot more fluid than the stock ones did. I'm going to try and upgrade to a higer volume pump when I get back from Korea. I also need to move them back about 3" towards the windshield. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    My prob is that the nozzel barely sprays any fluid on the shield and just smears the dirt from the plow trucks all over.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Check the lines under the hood while someone else operates the washer. A leaky line will severely limit how much fluid actually makes it to the windshield. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Caught the freightliner thing...do you work for transwest in the parts dept.... ot attp? I work for transwest in the junction store...

Doug W.