Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I Might Be A Nerd If... (aka "My disk is bigger than yours...")

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dremu, Apr 3, 2007.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Oy :doah: Hi, my name's Aaron, and I have a problem...

[​IMG]

Yeah, that's almost eight terabytes. 7917GB to be precise. Eighteen 500GB drives in a (software) RAID5 array.

Why software? Well, this one is my cheap box, using off-the-shelf components (and a certain amount of :grind:, but no :weld: required -- yet!)

The "real" fileserver is has a nice Areca 16-port SATA hardware RAID setup, and as the prices drop on the 750gb drives I'm gonna fill it out. It's got ten of them now, but it's full:

[​IMG]

So I had to build a new box =))

It's the size of a regular tower, more or less, and has fifteen drives in the front nine bays

[​IMG]

and another four inside in a creative way I am currently refusing to document in photos, as it's ugly as sin =))

:o Yep, I think I'm a nerd. I'm waiting on the machine shop to rebuild the motor for my crewcab, you see, so idle hands...

-- A

2. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

Not sure if I want to know, but how exactly do you fill up that much space? :bow: :eek1:

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Might be a nerd?? :haha: :haha:

Rene

4. tRustyK5

Aaron hosts a pr0n site... :p:

Rene

5. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

dude!

my dick is SOOOO hard right now.

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Dang I bet that puppy puts out more BTUs then a space heater

7. dremu

Eh, no. :rolleyes:

DVD images is what takes up the space. Even when Shrunk, at 4.3GB/disc, it adds up ... we have three dedicated HTPC's in the house, plus my wife likes to watch movies on her laptop sometimes. We find it's more convenient, then, to rip all the movies (TV shows, etc etc) onto the file server(s) for later playback.

And yeah, there's a slight amount of heat ... the noise is the killer. The 500W power supply I had from the last (nine-drive) iteration of this box just can't spin the drives, even staggered, so I'm using a spare 2x500 I had, but it's server-class and NOISY ... I'm off to Fry's tomorrow, and if I don't like what they have I'm gonna go nose-deep in NewEgg, get me some QUIET power.

-- A

8. tRustyK5

Just get yourself a 3 cylinder diesel Kubota running a 10KW genset and hardwire that thing. :D

Rene

9. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I really have no idea what the hell all those things are.

Yup. I'm that backwards.

And yes I'm lucky to operate this machine.

10. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I got Guitar Hero 2 for my 360 today?

11. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

Holy**** man.

XviD, live it, learn it, compress yo ****

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I need a great big magnet......

13. dremu

DVDShrink compresses them enough that on the plasma I can see motion artifacts, excessive pixelation on movement ... I'm actually going back and ripping WITHOUT compression on stuff like The Matrix and Ultraviolet.

-- A

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  14. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Niiice. :bow: What make/model case is that? Have any heat problems with that many hdds all bunched together? I had a similar plan at one point but every time I want to devote a few grand to storage either the truck needs something or the car does hehe. What frontend are you using on your HTPCs? I'm using Meedio.

15. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I am going to paraphrase Clod_King's comments as seen below in my signature...

I love your server, cause it makes my pants feel smaller

16. dremu

Yes, heat problems are an issue; this morning I've just been to the local plastics place and I'm making a new front panel with three 120mm fans. I only posted that pic as a way to identify the drives, really, as the box won't look anything like that when I'm done.

Started with a Raidmax "Katana", as it was $50 cheaper than the Antec case with nine bays. A bunch of neon green acrylic and some black ABS and a lot of drilling and Dremelling will be required, plus some JB Weld on the aluminum inside ;)

I think the other server can be seen in one of the pix; it's a nine-bay rack case, bloody great monstrosity I bought back when I was convinced rack-mounting was the shiznit. ::shrug:: It's the one with the Areca and the ten 750 drives. It's also got a custom local-plastics-place-front panel and six 80mm fans.

Front end is all custom; HTPC's run PowerDVD and I have a WinBatch I wrote that controls them; it listens over TCP-IP to a series of Perl scripts I wrote on the web/database server.

-- A

17. dremu

ha! Thanks. My buddy here was rolling on the floor looking at rednecks who talk about stiffies w.r.t. computers. :haha:

-- A

18. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Thats awesome!

I'm still new to RAID but am trying to learn. Why did you choose RAID5 over say RAID 0?

19. dremu

Well... see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels ... but ... my take:

Drives fail, especially when you have a lot of them. I LOVE my Seagates and their five year warranty ... but they do fail, and I don't want to lose data when they go.

RAID0 is just striped, so if I lose any one drive, I lose ALL the data. OTOH, 2x 500GB drives = 1TB (*). Very efficient, as all drives are used, but no ability to recover from failure. Popular for video editing and such when you need LOTS of storage and/or performance (reads/writes twice as fast) but no redundancy.

RAID1 is mirrored. 2x 500GB drives = 500GB. Not very efficient, but if one drive tanks, you just replace it and copy it from the good one. Popular for databases and boot drives and such where you want to make SURE your data is good.

RAID5 spreads the data 'round in a complicated way, so that there is some redundancy, specifically, that I can lose one drive and still maintain my data. I then replace the failed drive with a new one, and "rebuild" the array, putting back the goofy spread-round data on the replaced drive, and voila, no data loss.

Minimum is three drives, but you lose one for "parity", i.e. redundancy. 3x500GB drives gets you 1TB, so only 66% efficiency at minimum... but 18x500 gets you 17 drives' worth, which is what, 94%ish.

Due to the mathematical complexity, RAID5 either requires dedicated *hardware*, with a processor and RAM and such on the controller card (like a graphics card, these days)... or *software*, which means your CPU takes a major hit. However, CPU performance is cheap these days, and I'm willing to take a loss on write performance on stuff I don't use so much, like DVD images.

I do have hardware RAID on my other box. For instance, on one benchmark it clocks out at about 90MB/sec reading and 45MB/sec writing (this was with six drives, it's a bit better now) ... the software RAID sees 53MB/sec reading, and about 9MB/sec writing. WAAAY slower on writes, so it'll take me a (long!) while to copy all the data from the one server to the other.

Okay, that's enough to toke a digital camel, but I hope it gets you started...

-- A

* I know the difference between 1BB and 1GB, BiB or whatever you wanna call them. I can count in binary, but for the purposes of this discussion, I'll round =))