Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i might be able to get a d-max/allison/transfer case for my sub :)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Dec 28, 2005.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

the frame on one of the companies trucks is BROKE! its an 03 crew cab shortbed 3500, leather, 4x4, diesel, lifted 8"... etc... but its been wrecked bed before it was totaled and the company bought it back for $2K... well we found this today and we took it out of comission... im gonna talk to the prez about taking the drivetrain off his hands... HEHEHEHEE could you imagine a duramax/allison in my suburban!?!?! ahhh id love it!

2. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

very nice...2K for that is sooooo cheap...just buy the whole damn truck and you have everything you need. If you don't have a 14b, thats not a bad way to get one, but once again, no ground clearance. Id love to see that swap done.

3. muddysub

yeah ive got a 14bff already but if im getting the whole drivetrain id put the new 11.5" 14bff uner the sub... id have to do like a floor mounted shifter and cable to shift the tranny, fab up some motor mounts and crossmembers, have an exhaust built, and have drive shafts made... im thinkin this is totally possible! im so psyched! heres a pic of the frame!:eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

http://http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9821&cat=500

4. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

don't lose that drive and determination. you said you love diesels in another thread. here's your chance to have a sweet one.

you can do this. it's not impossible. don't listen to the haters and non-believers. you've got everybody at ck5 cheering for you.

how awesome would it be to have a d-max under the hood? keep that feeling.

===================
    i second buying the whole truck to use for donor.

5. muddysub

oh yeah im a diesel junkie! i live eat sleep and breathe diesel... im so pumped up about it! ahhh i cant wait to hear what my boss says... im gonna suggest that they setup a weekly payroll deduction for the cost that he sets on the drivetrain... maybe the entire truck... it'd be easier to do the swap if i had both my sub and this truck sitting next to eachother in my garage...

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

thats great, i was hoping it would be LLY. i dislike the LB7's alot. good luck with the project. let me know if you need some help. in october i became 100% trained from gm on the duramax's.

i recommend agains the 11.5, as to no gears or lockers avail. yet. sure they are coming, but could be sold to further along the project.

7. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Whats wrong with the LB7?

8. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nothing once you replace the injectors and realize the LLY or LBZ is much better. Upgrades made by Isuzu to make engines more user friendly. Although being an 03 it is an LB7.

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

the injectors. the sleeves that seal the coolant around the injectors. about an 8 hour job to replace all 8 injectors. which, when one goes bad, its only a matter of time before the rest go bad and need replacing. the injectors cost about $700 a piece.

the LLY has a variable vane turbo that can control boost independant of engine speed (built in exhaust brake). no sleeves around injectors, and you can change injectors without dissassembling the top half of the motor. injectors can be swapped in minutes and only cost about $300 a pop.

10. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Great Post. This is why CK5 is cool.:D :D

11. muddysub

yeah im so excited about this i just need to get my boss to go along with this... the only thing im afraid of is wiring harnesses...

12. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

shouldnt be that hard. having the whold truck will make it alot easier.

13. muddysub

yeah, like i said im thinking about ditching the cruise control for the sake of simplicity... wiring harnesses shouldnt be too bad since the harness for the suburban as far as lights go, and chassis wiring are totally seperate from the existing 1989 TBI engine harness... the only thing electrically being swapped is ECMs and engine/trans harnesses...

would it be possible to adapt my NP241 to the allison and keep the passenger side axle? if not ill just have to find a ford axle...

14. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

remember the allison has a seperate tranny controller. so vehicle speed signal will have to be sent to the modules, and i really have no idea if the speed signal generated by a nvg 263 will be the same as a np241.

im thinking that the ally might have a 32 spline output, which means it might just bolt right up to a 32 spline 241.

15. muddysub

yeah VSS might be an obstical, i was thinking more about the driveshaft/exhaust clearance. i know fitting all the extra coolers will be tricky.... what about brake booster and power steering? i know the booster on my sub is vacuum operated, the D-max has a hydroboost style pump system on it right? if so id probably use the brake booster and MC from the D-max... then i run into problems with the ABS, i'd have to eliminate the system.

16. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

the master cyl would work pretty good for a rear disc conversion. the abs is mounted to the frame and seperate from the master cyl. so throw in an adjustable prop valve and use the dmax hydroboost. brakes will be the least of your worries.

as far as driveshaft/exhaust clearance goes, i say use the 263 and a ford front axle. that way there is no question on the vss.

17. muddysub

hmmmmm, ive got a 2" body lift on my sub right now, im actually thinking this will be benificial to me for this job...

18. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

considering how big the ally is, that will be a definite plus.

19. muddysub

awesome! the ABS being a seperate unit will make it very easy, my sub already has anadjustable prop valve in it... so i can tone down the the rear drums until i get a disc setup... what about the u-joints on the rear driveshaft? im running 1350s on the rear end i believe... i would assume the shaft under that Dmax is bigger... i was just going to have the big shaft from the Dmax shortened down since its probably got a big harmonic balancer on it like the ford diesel trucks do...

20. muddysub

the engine crossmember will also have to be custom fabbed im sure... i doubt the stock x-member will accomidate the duramax.

my th400 has a tranny cooler on it but im sure its smaller than the ally's cooler... but atleast removing the old cooler will make mounting the new one easier.