Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need 2" in the rear...what about add-a-leafs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Feb 3, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My project truck is quickly nearing the axle swap/suspension stage and I'm putting together ideas in my head so I know what to order. I'm going to be running a 4" shackle flip in the rear and I'd like an additional 2" back there. Tuff-Country makes 2" add-a-leafs...any opinions? I'm not shelling out $310 for a new set of rear springs but I'd really rather not have a block in my suspension. If anyone has ideas let me know. The add-a-leaf looks like the best option now but I have a feeling that quite a few of you are going to say otherwise. Thanks for any help.

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

2" blocks with add a leafs, thats what I'm doing!!!

oh and blocks and bolts should cost ya arround 50 bucks, not to mention you could find em in the parts section! Its goign to get me by till I can shell out that 300 smackers!!

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Find a used set of rears . I got my project truck 2.5 inchers from a CK5 member :D

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wait...2" blocks with add-a-leafs AND a shackle flip, or just 2" blocks and leaves?

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i put some cut down 2" rancho add a leaves in my truck. i only wanted about 1" and a little stiffer ride causs of the added weight in the back when i installed stereo system. if its a bit too soft now you'll probly be happy. otherwise its gonna be faily stiff. if its too much you could always cut then down some and add a 1" zero rate.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I have some add a leafs sitting around if you wanna buy em, pretty stiff though,a nd you'd need to make new center pins

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I personally do not care for add a leaves. I ran them in my stock 52" rear spring packs for about 5 years. They rode like a$$ and eventually one of them cracked in half. The add a leaves were added into a 15 year old spring pack and the 15 year old spring pack outlasted the add a leaves. I broke no stock leaves even after 20 years of use but I broke a 5 year old add a leaf. That doesn't spell quality or reliablility in my book.

I bought a set of 6" rear TC EZ Ride springs that were pretty new for $180 shipped to my door from a Ck5 member here. Look around and ask around for someones used stuff. I would avoid add a leaves and blocks if at all possible.

Harley