Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need a bandsaw.... choices at the bottom

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jan 12, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm looking for a bandsaw capable of cutting steel, no more than 1", mainly 1/4". I would like it to have a small footprint in the garage, has to run on 110v and under $400-500. It will likely get used alot for cutting 1/8th plate so the neck needs to be at least 20-24", square tube (up too 3/16th and no thicker than 3-4" tube so jaw opening doesn't have to be huge) and it would be nice to have a tilt bed/table but not required. Any good ones? Links, sites? pics? all the ones I see locally are for wood but you can replace the blade but I dont think they would handle the 90% metal use I would throw at it.

2. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Re: I need a bandsaw....

Have you looked at HarborFreight.com ? Probably not top notch stuff but fairly cheap.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I bought the HF 4x6 vertical/horizontal band saw for around $140 or so. Works great for me. The stand and "table" for vertical work are pretty cheezy, but these can be improved and the overall unit is pretty well made IMO.

4. jjlaughner

I looked at one like your describing its $299 now, did you get yours on sale or something? How bad was shipping?

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

6. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I looked at one like your describing its $299 now, did you get yours on sale or something? How bad was shipping?

[/ QUOTE ]

I found another one above the 299 that is probley the one your talking about its 189 now

7. jjlaughner

8. jjlaughner

[​IMG]
    Powerful 1 Horsepower Motor
    Three speeds to cut everything from brass and aluminum to rugged alloy and tool steels! In horizontal position, use the gravity feed adjustment to increase or decrease cutting pressure. 6-3/4'' x 6-3/4'' table for use in vertical position. Blade and heavy duty stand included.
    Cutting Capacity: 4'' x 6'' (rectangle), 4'' (round)
    Blade size: 1/2'' x .025'' x 64-1/2''
    Blade speeds: 80, 120, 200 FPM
    Bed width: 7-1/2''
    Vise: 7-3/4'' x 6-1/4''
    Overall length: 37''
    Height: 38'' (horizontal); 54'' (vertical)
    Shipping weight: 137 lbs.
    THIS ON IS AT HARBOR FREIGHT AND THE SHIPPING SAYS ITEMS OVER $50 ARE FREE! Does northern tool have this also? THe one below says ships by truck /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

or
    [​IMG]
    4 1/2in. Metal Cutting Band Saw
    Cuts metal at 80, 133 or 200 FPM! Operates both horizontally and vertically. Powerful 1/2 HP, 115 Volt motor and oil bath gear box. Mitering gauge allows cutting from 90-45°. Capacity: 4 1/2in. round stock, 4in. x 6in. rectangle. Sealed ball bearings. Adjustable blade guides. Truck Ship.

or maybe its big brother
    [​IMG]
    Northern Industrial Tools 4 1/2in. Metal-Cutting SWIVEL Bandsaw Makes EASY Horizontal and Vertical Cuts!

Slices most metals smoothly and quickly!!
    Straight & angle cuts, horizontal & vertical cuts
    Base swivels for easy stock handling and set-up
    Rugged 1/3 HP motor delivers 1720 RPM
    3 blade speeds: 65, 95 & 165 FPM
    Saw cuts up to 4in. round stock at 45° and 4in. x 8in. rectangular stock at 90°
    Blade is 1/2in. deep; 64 1/2in. loop; has 14 teeth per inch
    Miter plate, vise with handwheel plus steel stand
    Assembly required
    Truck Ship.

Prices are under 200 for the first two and 300 for the last one

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Just so you know, the HF band saw might not work for free shipping. I think there are weight limits. Awhile back they had a deal, and I was considering getting a cart for my welder, and they told me that it was too heavy and didn't qualify. So make sure you check it out first to be sure on that.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd try and find one with a coolant system...much easier on blades. Also, you get what you pay for...the heavier and more rigid saws cut more accurately.

Blade deflection is a PITA, and the lighter the saw the more suceptible it is to blade deflection. I've used some of the more inexpensive horizontal saws and it can be very frustrating trying to get them to cut decently. Many don't have enough weight to them so the blade bounces easily.

It really depends on what you need it for I guess...my view on a saw is probably different than most here. I use band saws to cut parts for hours on end at work. If I get more than a few 'thou' deflection I get ticked off (and know it's time for a new blade) Our saw at work is prolly worth $10K though. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you are not in a big hurry, look around for some tool auctions! A friend of ours got most of his machinary like that and you can usually get some nice industrial stuff for less!!! He had a nice big band saw that I wish I still had access to!

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That green one is what I got. The red one is the same, just painted. And I got mine at the HF store locally, no shipping, and I believe it was $149 on sale at the time. It does deflect a bit, especially if you set the down force too high. The guides are not great but do ok for what I need. Coolant is good, and there are plans/pics I've seen on the net where people build a nice stand with a coolant trough that looks like it would be nice. Grizzly has the swivel head for about the same price, maybe a little cheaper. Not sure I would pay the extra for it, but it does make changing angles MUCH easier than the cheesy fence that comes on the cheaper unit. Still not sure it's worth the money no more than I need to do that.

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

We have the same saw as this at work...
    It's a great little saw for the money...

[​IMG]

As far as blades go...
    I was told..you need at least a tooth and a half...
    per cutting surface...

I've using 18t blades...it works for most thicknesses..
    It just takes a little longer to cut thick steel..

14. jjlaughner

JK do you use it in the vertical position much? What do you think it overall?

I guess 90% of its use will be cutting 1/8-3/16" wall tubing. 3x3 square and maybe some 3x6" tube, and then round tube under 2". Mainly it will be used for cutoff but I will flip it up to make some knotches and cut angles.

How long can I except a blade to last, slow medium speed on thin wall tube?

15. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status