Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need a favor from you 6.2 guys

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Can Can, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Next time you stop to fill up, or after you get home from a drive, could you do me a favor and turn off your truck and spin off your oil fill cap and tell me if you see any evidence of blowby? Do you see a fine mist of oil wafting out from the fill hose?

I'm just trying to see what amount of blowby is considered "normal".... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I dont see anything coming out /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Can Can

Hmmmmmmmm........that's wierd. When I turn off the engine and immediately pop MY oil fill cap off, there's a small amount of oil mist that drifts out for about a minute or two. And if if I pull the lid off my air cleaner, the same oil mist is present in the intake. Maybe my CDR valve is shot after all? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

wouldnt this saturate your air cleaner sooner than later?

5. Can Can

I thought the same thing, but there's no evidence of this blowby mist when the engine is running, and the air filter I installed about 6 months ago is still pretty clean.

Can someone out there explain to me exactly how a CDR valve operates?

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

well, the whole reason for using that valve in the first place is so that it can control ventilation/ excess misting. I think. So the whole reason to "replace" this little doo dad, is that if it fails, it may allow excessive oil to get into the cylinders during firing, which since oil has more energy than diesel, can cause all sorta not so fun stuff to happen.

7. Can Can

That's pretty much what I understand too. That's why I'm trying to figure out how much blowby is TOO much..... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Any excessive oil will not make the air filter dirty because the oil vapors are being sucked in AFTER the air filter. If you trace the hose(s) going from the bottom of the CDR to the intake manifold, you'll notice the hoses are actually underneath the air cleaner.

I'll check mine the next time I drive. But I wouldn't be too worried about it myself.

Casey