Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need a front yoke... what year? Help?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by four_by_ken, Nov 16, 2004.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Ok, finally going to get around to making the driveshafts.
    But, I need a front yoke for a 205. I know it is definately NOT a 10 spline. Is this enough info for someone to help me out with? What year do I ask for in order to get the right one?

Thanks (I hope)

Ken

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

as far as i know, if its not a 10 spline front output then its a 30 spline and those only came with the stock saginaw CV flange. i don't think you can get a yoke in a 30 spline either for it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

i think its 77 or 78 and newer, my 79 came with the flange.

3. four_by_ken

Hmmm... not that I dont believe you... I just dont want to.

Can anyone else chime in?

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Believe it...it's true.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The 30 spline is a flange mount...

You can use a saginaw with a flange adapter..added to the driveshaft.

I have a couple..they bolt to the c/v and convert the driveshaft from a yoke style to a flange style.

5. four_by_ken

Any strength issues I will see with this? I would think the 30 spline part would be stronger compared to the 10 spline.
    But, what aboiut the flange style yoke? If its strong, I dont have any problem with it? Running 44s a BBC and a doubler.
    What about angle of operation? Will it bind with a 8 inch lift?

Whats it take to convert it to a 32 spline output shaft?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You really need a 1 ton rated front driveline. With a doubler, big tires, D60, etc., the stock style CV is not going to handle that kind of abuse. They do make yokes for it (1310, 1330, 1350) but none of them will take sufficient angle to use there.

You'll need to measure some angles, but I think the 1350 CV would likely work well there.

As you stated, you can swap to a 32 spline front output which would allow you to use a 1410 non-CV driveshaft there if you like.

7. four_by_ken

I can change the output without pulling the case, right?

What kind of cost am I looking at for the parts needed?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Honestly, you can change the output, but by the time you build a 1410 driveshaft, you'd be better off just going with the 1 ton CV with a 1410 joint on the pinion and be done with it. It will be smoother in operation overall than 1410 non-cv, offer similar angle potential, and work just fine. 30 spline outputs don't really break all that often. There are about as many broken 30 spline outputs out there as there are 14 bolt axleshafts.

I have not done the 32 spline swap so I can't comment on that idea.

9. four_by_ken

From ORDs site... http://www.offroaddesign.com/NP205tech.htm

It sounds like the 30 spline is fine for strength. And they dont seem to knock the flange output yoke either. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I just hope it wont be too difficult to find a normal non-flange yoke. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

As far as the u-joints go... I need to do some research there. I always just find one that fits... and keep the part number and buy it. 14 this and 13 that. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. four_by_ken

Ok, spoke with a buddy... he said he had a flange front output on his 205... but I think it was a 10 spline.

He just said... oh, we'll convert it over to non flange. Like it was no big deal.

What gives? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Are there, or arent there non-flange outputs for the 30 spline? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Are there, or arent there non-flange outputs for the 30 spline?

[/ QUOTE ]

As stated above, there are 1310, 1330, and 1350 yokes that will fit on the 30 spline front output, but none will take the angle required to be a front shaft. Of the three, 1330 will likely take the most angle, but it's still 1/2 ton rated stuff and will break eventually.

12. four_by_ken

I think I have a flange output and a flanve CV that I can use. That would be nice to not have to buy anything.

But, what are the drawbacks of the flange type? Cant I grind down the stops or something on the CV and make it work good?

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    But, what are the drawbacks of the flange type? Cant I grind down the stops or something on the CV and make it work good?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can, but once again this is 1/2 ton rated stuff. It will work, but it will break eventually if you use your truck hard.

The flange in itself is not a draw back. In fact there are really no front shafts that are particularly bad from the factory except the ones that are on 10 spline front outputs.

That said, ALL front shafts are 1/2 ton rated stuff no matter what they come from. The front shaft is a major weak point on these trucks in my opinion.

14. four_by_ken

Ok!!!! I think I fianlly got it straight now!!!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Thanks a ton! Well... 1/2 ton... he he ha ha. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Let the /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif continue tonight!

15. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

you can grind down the stops, but its not gonna last long or have that much down travel. i have the stops ground on mine and i have some travel left but not much. remember i have a 4" lift with a tcase clocked 4.25" up and the drivetrain moved up another inch. so all in all about 9.25" and its close, too close. guessing i have about 6" of down travel if the pinion yoke doesn't bind first.

you can use the 1350 CV with the stock flange, just have to have the centerind ring machined down.

grinding the stock CV will work as a temperary fix.

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The other HD upgrade is using the Ford front output shaft itself. This output shaft configuration is the same as the rear of the NP203 and NP205, so the yokes interchange. You can get about any driveshaft connection you can imagine for this output configuration. And with the 32 spline, you're basically guaranteed it's not going to break. If you have a 30 spline front output already, it's probably not worth swapping the 32 spline shaft in unless you need the yoke options.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right at the bottom Ken. I'm debating doing something similar, and a 1410/1410 shaft is capable of some very decent angles as well as being very strong.

Rene

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The other HD upgrade is using the Ford front output shaft itself. This output shaft configuration is the same as the rear of the NP203 and NP205, so the yokes interchange. You can get about any driveshaft connection you can imagine for this output configuration. And with the 32 spline, you're basically guaranteed it's not going to break. If you have a 30 spline front output already, it's probably not worth swapping the 32 spline shaft in unless you need the yoke options.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right at the bottom Ken. I'm debating doing something similar, and a 1410/1410 shaft is capable of some very decent angles as well as being very strong.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be my 2nd choice, for sure.

18. four_by_ken

I thikn I am going to run what I have for now. I really HAVE TO STOP SPENDING. PEROID.

I will make the flange yoke and CV work with what I have. Right now I have some 8 inch springs. I have tested them yet, but I dont think they will flex all that much, unfortunately. But, it will make my front shaft work, I hope.

I have lots more plans in the future, but I have to stop upgrading stuff, or I will never get out to enjoy the truck. Which is my main problem right now. 2rs too long.

Time time to drive and enjoy. Then upgrade what breaks or requires it.

Only one way to find out!

I LOVE THIS SITE!!! YOU GUYS KICK ASS!

19. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I think I have a flange output and a flanve CV that I can use. That would be nice to not have to buy anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure...it will work fine..
    I'm runnin'44's..and a 1310 C/V...
    I just ate one u-joint...over the summer.

If you don't have the cash...grind the stops and run-it!!!

20. four_by_ken

If I cant get the flange stuff to work, or it doesnt last as long as I would hope for... I probably will do the upgrade. I like the idea of suing the same yakes front and rear. Thats nice. If only I could get it to use the same shafts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be my 2nd choice, for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]