Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need a job

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 21, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I want to start looking for a job soon. Because:
    a.) The work I do in the summer/fall is finished because its getting cold out and its almost snowing time. So that work is gone for now. I was doing lawn cutting, garden stuff, and yard maintenance for this lady and her husband. (Family friends) Then this summer I also did a bunch of painting-interior and exterior on a house, and some drywalling, and finishing.

So back to the topic, i need to start looking for a job because I owe my mom roughly 1200.00 Canadian for the toyota pickup I bought a few weeks ago. Luckily I had saved up a bunch and paid off the difference from 3000.00. So I need a job for this winterr...
    I don't exactly have a lot of options because sadly, this job I am looking for would be the first time I use a resume and apply for the job. In the past first my dad got me working for these friends of ours, then this summer my mom was talking to a guy at work, then she offered my help.

SO I have never applied for a job.

I don't have a lot of options because of my age, experience, and that I go to school 5 days a week. I would perfer to work on weekends only, just so I don't get overtired from staying up late doing homework after work on weekdays. Excuse? Nah...

Anyways my options so far are:

Fast food (i.e. Dairy Queen, etc)
    Food (Safeway, Saveonfoods, etc...where people buy groceries)
    Canadian Tire
    Lordco(I doubt I could get a job there :haha: )
    Gas Station
    A store in the Mall
    Staples
    Hardware stores
    And I am missing a lot more, any suggestions to add?

The thing is I sort of want a job that looks good on my resume. Like if I wanted to be a mechanic, Canadian Tire would look better than McDonalds on there.
    There is this guy that goes to my school that I have talked to in the past, he works at this place called FabRite...which is a metal fab place. I would love to get a job there but I don't know if they would hire more people our age.
    Wouldn't mind working at Airliquid, or a hardware store or something.

I realize that the job I'd get would probably involve tidying up, sweeping, cleaning and stocking shelves or something if it was at some hardware, fab, or welding place.

I don't really know where to start, I've always gotten paid 10.00 an hour...and now I will get bumped down to minimum wage I think too.

Also I don't know how the employer will be with my unflexable hours-just on most of the weekends. I could always see if there are shifts after school that are only 1-3 hours. Not more than that though.

Please don't post any smart a s s remarks about this. I am asking for your guys help because all of you must of been in this position when you were younger?

Also, I considered getting firewood in the summer, then selling it. But my mom doesn't like the idea of me using a chainsaw.
    Anyways I could sell each cord for $150 for the good stuff, and $100 for the lower quality stuff. That would be a good days pay each time someone bought a load. Although its hard work and tiring and not everyone wants to buy wood. I like this idea because my dad and I use to bring in 20 truck loads or cords of wood each year together. Than two years in a row we sold some to pay for the rest of the Jimmy. It is also something I enjoy, being out in the wilderness, 4wheeling, and memories of my past with my dad.

ANYWAYS enough with my book.

Anyone have any suggestions on me getting a job, and any pointers?

BTW I want to be a Mechanical Engineer for a career, otherwise something in the trades if I decide against the ME. So I thought a job like hardware or welding stores would look good on the resume? But I don't know, nor do I have any experience.

Comments!

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you might hit up a dealership down here you can get a job changing oil and they pay like $10 an hour. just an other idea.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Hey Steve We all had to start somewhere. Any job will look good on a resume. Look at it this way even working at a fast food place will help You develop people skills and so will working at Safeway.
    If You can get a job at a shop You might get lucky and work with some cool people who might start asking for You to help out with mechanical/welding work. Many ace mechanics and welders started off with a broom in their hand and slowly moved up.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i started 12 years ago sweeping the floor, taking out the trash and draining oil buckets in a small independent auto shop for $4 an hour. started working there during the summer and when school started i worked monday wednesday friday from 3-6 pm.

i wouldnt be the person i am today if it werent for that job. i made every attempt to learn something or help out one of the techs there when i could. before i knew it, i was doing oil changes and brakes and at 15 i rebuilt my first engine (it ran too). passed the engine repair ASE test when i was 17.

if you do get an engineering degree, i doubt that the work that you will be doing now (no matter what it is) will look really great on a resume. choose a job that you like, but make sure that you stick with it. what looks bad on a resume is that you had 4 different jobs in one year. what will look good is that you had a job and kept it while you were in school.

ryan

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Some ideas...

I would think twice before becoming a mechanic for a living...I've always been mechanically inclined,and have been around machinery and cars all of my life..as you know I worked in auto parts stores for 20+ years,then quit to build a garage and work for myself on small engines..

I loved nothing better than being self-employed..but I found out quickly you will work harder and for longer hours and for less pay than any "regular" job--and no gaurantee of a paycheck for X amount of dollars a week..plus the fact you might not get social security if you work only for yourself and don't pay into the system,and don't forget health insurance and other benifits YOU will be paying for,instead of an employer..I forgot about those important things,and now I'm in trouble because I didn't plan things out better..you also need to be in perfect health to be self employed..I never was,and got worse as I got older.

The reason I say to think twice about being a mechanic is this..I've seen a lot of friends of mine who are (or should I say WERE) mechanics pass away at a very young age..working on vehicles is hard,physically demanding work--you get exposed to a good deal of chemicals,solvents,and asbestos ,and other carcinogens,you always get cut,hands smashed or pinched,and your back is always under strain from heavy lifting,or bending over,and from being a contortionist..It's very hard on your body..and often frustrating..

Same goes for auto body workers,only double!..paint fumes find their way past the best respirator filters,and many body men I know have died young,or now have emphasema or other respiratory disease..It's nice to know how to fix your own vehicle--but today,you need expensive computers,and thousands of dollars worth of tools(which your employer does not pay for--YOU do!) and there isn't really any room for advancement..once a mechanic,always a mechanic..

What happens when you get older,and find your unable to handle the load pysically--or vehicles techknowolgy gets so far advanced in 20 years,you find yourself obsolete,like many mechanics of my era,who grew up on points and condensers,and had a hard time understanding HEI--now many of them are lost under a hood of a late model computerized car(including me)..its hard to keep up with it all..

Many of those guys are now in a "Jiffy Lube" job at the dealership they once worked at as a mechanic..and find they have a lot easier job,at a lower rate of pay,but still get the same benifits,and can actually go home and not feel beaten to death,and enjoy life more..more than a few guys told me "I should have stayed on the grease rack"!!..meaning changing oil and filters,rather than being "promoted" to installing engines,transmissions,and other heavy work all their lives..they regretted beating themelves up daily,only to make a few more bucks than they would have on the "easier" job..

I'd go for a hardware store,Jiffy Lube,or maybe an auto parts store--but the best job there is the delivery driver..a counterman has a lot of stress to deal with..I burnt out quickly after working in 3 large busy stores,where you were going non-stop all day..and the bosses at all of them would not let you catch your breath--as soon as you filled the phone orders and sent the drivers out with them--there were trucks to unload,shelves to stock,and paint to mix,brake drums to be turned...all for 8 bucks an hour--I'd have been a lot happier being a delivery driver at 6 bucks an hour..money isn't everything,but your health and sanity IS...

I know some people here who do nothing BUT cut,season,and sell firewood..I knew one guy in particular whose family has 100 acres of forest not far from me--he sadly was killed in a car crash while visiting relatives in PA a few years ago,only 33 years old..but he told me not long before he died,he had sold over half a million dollars worth of wood in the last 5 years! :eek1:
    (he also cleared lots for new houses and excavating--but mostly cut the trees,and removed stumps)..he'd sit back all winter,and enjoy life snowmobiling in VT,or at his hunting camp in ME..he loved his life--no boss but himself to answer too,and he was never short of money..

It's up to you to choose your job..but choose wisely,and don't be afraid to try more than one thing..my biggest mistake was waiting too long to try going out on my own.(helping my ailing parents took a lot of time away from my work too)--or not trying something non-automotive related.....but it took those 20 years of work at"real" jobs to get the dough to try! :doah: ..by then my health wasn't good enough,and now here I sit..looking at the job ads in the paper,and wondering if I could actually DO one of them again..think ahead,you'll be my age before you know it!..Time passes by quicker than you think.. :crazy:

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Whatever you do, don't get caught pulling timber out of the bush for commercial use without a commercial license.........

That being said, I've sold firewood to local campgrounds out your way for $80 per 1/2 cord. The wood has come from my property so it's up to me what I do with it.

My opinion would be to get on with Cambodian Tire. You'll get exposure to a LOT of different departments(plumbing, electrical, sporting goods, automotive, etc...) and the words "CUSTOMER SERVICE" look really good on a resume. Take it from a guy who has a say in who gets hired or not at our office..........:deal:

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

When you do pick a job working for someone else Steve, stick with it for a while. Nothing looks worse on a resume then a guy that drifts from job to job every few months. It isn't so critical at your age but later on it makes a difference. I'd say the fact that you get out and work already shows a great deal about your good character. Employers will take note of it.

You'll be just fine no matter what you choose, your a good egg. :D

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you get alot of snow, I'd look around for a used plow that'll fit your truck. Nothing like being your own boss. Good money in snow removal. Only part that sucks is getting out and shoveling.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I like that idea, but most of the snow, or at least some of it comes during the night and I can't get out early to clean it up because of school. Always thought about it though.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I think I will try Canadian Tire, and a few of the hardware stores maybe. Don't really want fast food...could always try that last.

I need to find out about wages, a teacher last year said that if I get paid a certain amount I can't get paid lower than that? Sounds a bit weird.
    Thanks for the help...

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i swore to myself at the age of 12 that i'd never flip a burger. here i am, 13 years later, and have never once even thought of doing that. i had a newspaper route from the time i was 10 until i was 16. i then went to work part time for Jiffy Lube. held on to that one for 3 1/2 years. since then i've been an order picker at an Plumbing/HVAC warehouse, a GM part counterman, a cabinet maker, an AC Delco counterman (no, they're not the same), then to an RV technician. i went to school for hi-perf auto mechanics, and quickly got burned out on that, because i just had too much of it on my plate. got into the RV gig, and its my happy medium. i can wrench all day long, punch the clock, and not have to worry about seeing a 45' RV sitting in my driveway at home in need of repairs. no matter what you do, do your best at it, and never quit a week or two in because you dont like the job, give it at least a month.

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yup, that's what it's all about. Anything worth doing is worth doing well, and some jobs actually grow on you after awhile........

13. diesel4me

Loyalty??

I only had 4 jobs in the 20 years I worked at "real" over the table jobs..mostly because I knew most all auto parts stores are the same,only the name on the door,and who signs your check is different for the most part..

I was right,I got the same treatment at all of them..low pay,high expectations,and little satisfaction..I only did it for the money--I cant remember having many "fun" days at any of them..maybe a few,but VERY few!. :rolleyes:

But one reason I got hired quickly when I did leave and decided to take another job,was the fact I worked at each job 5 years..one of my bosses said he made up his mind as soon as he saw that on my application!..he'd had so many guys who worked 10 jobs in a few years come an go within a few months,he was soured on hiring any young people..He said loyalty was just what he was looking for in an employee..--

But the same guy fired me 5 years later,when I had a gallon of paint come out of a paint shaker,and hit me in the face and douched my eyes with paint,and the rest of the gallon went in my hair and all over,because I left,and went home to get clean clothes,take a shower,and get a ride to the emergency room for medical treatment..one of my eyes has permanent nerve damage now..all he cared about was the fact I'd left,and "deserted" my co-worker!(my boss had gone fishing that day,after coming in to open the store..)..guess my eyes weren't important,and I should have stayed all day until I was blind I guess,and the paint was dried in my hair.... :surepal: :screwy:

I see lots of ads for snowplow drivers in our local papers now--they are paying 45 bucks an hour if you use your own truck(but you need a 1200 dollar liability insurance policy to be eligible--and who pays for a new tranny or fixing your plow it they crap out?? YOU DO!)..or you can get 28 bucks an hour if you drive their trucks--but what if it only snows a few times this year??..many ads say you also have to shovel walks too--and I cant do that anymore..

All I can do is drive,I'm lucky if I can shovel my steps off at home without needing traction!!..I have never made much money plowing--I always end up putting most of it into the truck,not my pocket..and many customers bitched about their lawns in the spring,and expected my to landscape the place for free..screw that!..

All I can say is good luck Steve!..whatever you choose,I hope you like it,and you do well at it..and I hope you don't end up like I am in 30 years.. :crazy:

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

should've taken that one as far as it could go, if you had to leave for medical reasons, and now have permanent nerve damage because of the incident, he cannot legally fire you for it. i've been doing some reading on termination for medical reasons lately as my dad was terminated from his job last week, because he wasnt "at full capacity" HELLO!!! they just played a real live game of Operation on him 6 months ago, and he was still under restrictions. someone isnt going to like what they have to pay him if he follows through.

15. diesel4me

Its a long story...

To make a long story shorter,I did not go back to that job--it was my bosses father who was "filling in" for my boss that called me and aid "not to bother coming back" if thats how much I cared about my job!(he ran another parts of the same "chain" in the town I live in)..then,after I got to the Emergency room,they asked me if it happenned at work--I said YES,and they called my boss the following workday (a monday) and he said "yea,I guess it happened here,while I was not here though"..so it got billed to workmans compensation...

A few weeks later,my bosses wife (who was also the secratery for the store) calls ,and says "That was NOT a work accident,that is covered under your health insurance,you cant get workmans comp for that,you'll have to put that under your health insurance"..I hung up,thought about it awhile--then called a lawyer!..who said that was not right,and he agreed to take my case,at no cost to me if I lost--so I figured why not,what have I got too lose? (other than the sight in one eye!).. :rolleyes:

He had to go to several hearings,but all I got was the equvilant of one months pay in the end..my eye seemed to be doing well,so the doctor said I was able to go back to work this was after 3 months passed,if I could get a job..I went to unemployment,and filed a claim,since I was now capeable of working again,and ineligible for workmans comp--the place I worked at always bragged NO one ever got unemployment from them--well I DID!--and I collected it for as long as I could too--the economy sucked then,and I got several 28 week extentions! :D --I built my garage while I was getting it too..collected for nearly 2 years,just to rub it in--I felt I deserved it..

But now as the years have passed,I see now I should have appealed the decision by workmans comp--that eye is now "lazy",and if I look to one side,that eye almost turns sideways compared to my other one--like its looking inside my head!..and they feel like I have sand in them all the time,and the lids are always red--cops think I'm stoned all the time,and people ask if I've been crying :mad:
    I'm going to have a hard time working now,with a bad back AND dead eyes.. :doah: I can't see for Sh** now..have to hold things right up to my face.,and have tons of "floaters" in my eyes....I'll be lucky to keep my licence much longer--night driving is a nightmare for me,especially if its raining..

I run into my old boss once in a while at my friends shop(he buys parts from him,and he stops in to try to drum up more bussiness)--at first he just ignored me,I'd say hello,etc,but he'd just act like I was invisible!--but a few times since he's actually talked to me,and acted like nothing happenned --it was 1990 when that occurred---(my friend said he's hurting for help at his store,and wished I'd work for him again,but doubted I would after what happenned!--he got THAT right! :mad: )..and people wonder why I hate working for others..this was only ONE of the 4 places I worked at!.. :doah:

I wish your dad the best..hope he gets back at them for canning him unfairly..one guy I know just got fired after 25 years at the same company--now they say he's not getting his pension!-only had 2 more months to go too.. :eek1: :mad:

16. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Look for construction sites. Find the foreman/super and ask them if they need someone to cleanup the site on a regular basis. If you can do it cheaper than their laborer, and do good work, they will keep you busy.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'd love to do that but it's getting cold outside to do that, and i think they would need someone fulltime to help?

Forgot my resume at school so I can't retype it.

18. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Look for inside remodeling jobs, if construction stops outside. Most contractors would rather hire someone local to do clean up, so they can concentrate on the actual building. Coming in after school means you can leave them with a clean job site for the next morning.

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

My mom's pushing me to get a job now.
    I'm nervous as heck because I have no clue what I will be doing at whatever job and I don't want to mess up someone if they ask me something and I don't know what to do.

Anyways, I'm thinking Home Hardware (simular to home depot I thnink) Canadian tire (although there are some people I dislike working there) maybe walmart?? or maybe a auto place somewhere here.

Just finishing my resume. Hope to drop it off tomorrow

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Dropped my resume off at Home Hardware. They are not hiring right now, but in march/april when they get busy they might be.
    Next is Canadian Tire and/or Staples bussines center.