Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need a ladder....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BillyBob, Jul 21, 2002.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Okay.. here's the deal. I'm in the middle of lifting my truck right now. And it's turning out a little bigger than I origionally thought. My main problem is geting my girlfriend in and out of the damn thing now that it's soo tall. She had a hard time geting in it stock w/ 31's.. now it's going up on 4" TC and 35s. She isn't that strong, and not very tall, so I'm gonna need a combo of a ladder and handles to get her up and down. Only problem is... who makes a detachable ladder? I've been designing one using hitch pins and mounts on the floor so it won't fall off while she climbs. But I don't think it'll be that sturdy. Does anyone make anything I can use?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

there spendy but they do make a step that electronicly folds down when the door is open and fold up when the door closes /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You beat me to it...I've seen those fold down steps and they are pretty cool, and they do come in varying lengths. But they are kinda spendy.

4. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

get a taller gf /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    there is a company that makes a electric swing down step.
    think when you open door it atomaticly swing's down, when you close door it goes back up, (i think that's how it work's)
    i put step hoop's on my crew cab with 4" and 35's. i'm 6'2 not really a problem getting in with out them but this is my tow and run around pickup so i didn't want to have 2 pickup's that i had to climb in and out of.
    i also don't wheel the crew cab.
    if you don't mind them hanging down a bit i would say go with the step's. put the wider ones on front (about $100.00 from jc whitney) and the narrower ones on back (about $40.00)
    good luck.

dave

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

best thing ive ever seen was on a suburban that was on 38s...make a rope ladder like whats on a kids swingset...bolt it down with the two seat bolts...then fold it outside when she needs to get in, once shes in fold it back up under the seat...

the best part is its cheap as hell

Later

6. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif wow you both beat me to it while i was plinking out that book /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

dave

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Go to Wal-Mart... buy a $6.99 Rubber Maid step stool.... there ya go... what I had to do for my mom. You might want to get a handle too from like a mobile home place to bolt to the dash as a grab handle....

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Be a Gentleman!! Open the door for her, GRAB HER ARSE, and help her in!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

J/K

I have this problem too. But my truck sits on 7" of lift and 37's. AND my wife is pregnant. I basically just put a shoulder under her and up she goes. I am going to plan on making a step like the one below now that I have my sliders. It's a little more stable than a rope ladder.[​IMG]

9. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Best thing I saw was a guy welded a trailer hitch on both sides. and put a removable step in it. You could use it for a safty point to attach to if needed also...Dan

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Get creative with a set of rock sliders and bite the bullet on the first step! It makes skirts so much more interesting when they get in! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

besides the electronic step mentioned, ive seen a kick away step. you can fold it out when in use and then fold it back under when not. just an idea. im not sure the maker but im thinking maybe steel horse or carr ? im think something lighted would be cool also(for nitetime use) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

They use those on Motorhomes.. So any Motorhome or camper place should have those...Dan

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

woking this out with my gf for Blazer Bash. The plan right now is to step on the rear wheel, then up on top the tire, then on the bed rails... and then in the back of my rig. Walk to the front, sit down, cinch down the harness and GO. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

14. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Don't do anything permanent unless you plan on marrying her. ChevyCaGal nailed it. You are a gentlemen, you open the door, whoop out the small ladder help her in, put it behind the seat and away you go. If you change girl friends you are not stuck with a spendy electric step, or something you are likely to rip off wheeling. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

That design is almost perfect......

The only things I'd do to improve it are to build it with a tab that would go OVER the outside bar of the rockslider, and UNDER the inside (closest to the rocker panel) bar. That way it's kinda "wedged" in there and when weight is applied to the step, it's locked into place and doesn't shift. The second thing might be to put some sort of quick disconnect on it, so that it could be left in place during the week, but then removed on wheeling trips for extra clearance.

Just my $.02

16. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

With 38's and 8" of lift I just open the door for her, pick her up, and set her down. Same thing with the kids. I personally like the idea of using a reciever style removalble step. I have seen chains used with a piece of pipe slipped over for a step. You can just leave it there while you wheel.

17. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ive seen someone use them step latters(like 3 steps)and then reach down and grab them by the handle and fold it up and though it in the back seemed to work ok on a jeep on 40's

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well personally i would go with the help her up, grab her be the arse method!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif i woundt mind that at all haha /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Bryan

19. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I was up late using microsoft paint (cuz I don't have auto CAD) making up something, so here it is:
    [​IMG]
    basically, I wanna make it out of 1" aluminum. It's about 30" tall, 12" wide at it's widest point, uses hitch pins to stay in place with a mount that I will make and bolt to the floor, the farther out legs are meant for stability so it won't wobble as much when she climbs up it. the only problem I have is that it's completely straight up. A slant would be better. Plus I won't know where to throw it once she gets in. Any suggestions? Cuz the step stool idea is looking pretty good /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

20. joker89blazer

joker89blazer 1/2 ton status

i have seen steps made with chain.all the links that would be at the bottom for the step have all the links welded together to make a nice stiff step.just a simple piece of chain made into a "u"shape and bolted to the truck,all the other links are loose so the step can swing away and not break on trail snags. Are you could get a rice rocket to toss under it for a step [gotta find some use for those peices of crap] /forums/images/icons/cool.gif