Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need a lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by timebomb1602, Mar 31, 2001.

1. timebomb1602

timebomb1602 1/2 ton status

hey what is better a 4 inch or a 6inch all spring lift? are my driveshafts going to need to be longer with either one? also how does the ord shackle lift handle on the street or with a trailer in tow?? Thanx in advance:)

1991 GMC Jimmy, 350 tbi, stock for now, but not for long!!!

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

With a 4in lift you don't need to lenghen the driveshafts. You might have to drop the transfer case. I didn't have to on my 4 in. I beleave you have to lenghten the drive lines on a 6 in. lift. I don't now anything about the ord shackles....

Become one with nature..........Then marinate it..

3. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Why do you need your lift? If it's for bigger tires. Decent articulation and less headache go for the 4 inch suspension lift. If you have to have that articulation and plan on running really big tires then go with the 6 inch. From what I can gather you will need custom driveshafts for the 6 inch lift. You will probably need a custom pitman arm also. As far as the shackle flip goes I didn't do it because it takes more time than a spring install. From what I can read it's a good option though. I'm pleased with my rear springs and don't regret going that route. I have a 4" suspension lift and will be putting on a 2" body lift eventually.

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well basically from what I have researched and found out is the diff is like night and day. 4" is relatively easy... just bolt on the springs and go.... if you have some vibrations then drop the t-case. 6" is where you need about an extra inch or 2 in the front and about 2" in the rear. Mostlikely will have to drop the t-case... Vibrations still could be a problem which would mean going to a CV shaft... But IMO a 6" truck is BIG where as a 4" truck is stout... (ok because some one will say something like this... a 10 or 12" truck is like F#@$'n HUGMONGOUS!!!! [​IMG]). I plan on going a 6" liuft w/ CV shaft because it only costs 250 or so for the CV... a lengthen is gonna be 150, also then I don't really need to drop the t-case and deal w/ them worries... and last of all I has stupid vibnrations in the truck since I bought it off the rear end and am tired of it LOL.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. crazylarry74

crazylarry74 Registered Member

My friend just recently put on the ord shackle reversal and it is sweet. It has such a smoother ride on and off road and the flex that it has now is unbelievable, i would highly reccomend the reversals. I don't know how well they do with a trailer but i would imagine there wouldn't be too much of a difference.
    CrazyLarry