Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need a list of EVERYTHING that I am going to need install a Corvette TPI

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72Blazerod, May 14, 2002.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Hi guys,

Okay, I got the entire 1990 Corvette L-98 with accessories but I need to make a shopping list of everything that I am going to need to install it in my 72 K5. I have heard it is pretty easy but I have never done anything like this before. So if you have done this swap could you let me know ALL the items you needed to get. I have to figure how much all the little stuff is going to cost to decide if my house really needs electricity for the next few months (LOL).

Thanks a lot again, guys, you're the best! (Man, I love this site!)

Rod

2. 71Blazer

71Blazer Registered Member

I'm in the middle of compiling the same information to swap an '86 corvette TPI into my '71. All is just theory untill I actually start the install (probably not until after this very busy summer :-( ) The May 2002 issue of Car Craft has a to-be-continued "Fuel Injection For Any Engine In Any Car" series of articles that are helpful. Just can't wait for the June follow-up! I'll be watching to see if you get your 'grocery list" as it will help me too. Keep me/us posted! Good luck and BTW that AM radio you sold me is working great and looks perfect, thanks!

3. Murph

Murph Registered Member

It has been a while, but here are the things I REMEMBER buying when I put in a 91 305 TPI. You may or may not need the same:

New TV cable (Lokar)
    New throttle cable (Lokar)
    New PROM without security (TPIS)
    Vehicle Speed Sensor (JagsThatRun)
    External fuel pump (eventually a new tank, but not necessary)
    New fan (opposite flow water pump)
    Altered radiator or new radiator if you value heat (opposite flow) Still haven't done this, but will cost ~$35 to have a fitting added to existing radiator to have flow from heater core enter in radiator like newer vehicles.
    New radiator hoses/fittings.
    New fuel return line.
    New air filter and fittings to direct away from radiator
    Shop manual for vehicle it came out of (I still use it regularly)
    JTR engine swap manual

I used the factory wiring harness and required a few other sensors/parts since my motor was missing AC compressor and idle air control sensor. I also ended up with new exhaust, but you may not require it. I am sure that I am missing a few things here and there. This should at least get you started. Who needs electricity? Good luck!

Murph

4. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

I am putting a '91 camero TPI manifold on my 1972 jimmy asap! I have all the parts together just need time and a soldering gun :-) My project is more involved because I am using only the factory manifold and sensors on my original 1972 350 (rebuild 8000 miles ago). Supposedly all I have to do is swap the cam to a computer compatible grind and reprogram / fine tune the chip to get my 400hp and +20 mpg (yeah like this is really easy :-) )

Since you are running a stock (right?) engine you should have a much better time. Get a gas tank from a 1992 yukon or surbabn so you have the benefit of a factory designed fuel system (baffled and setup for internal fuel pump and return pressure line). Install a REAL return line to the fuel tank (use at 5/16 or better 3/8 fuel line), change the fuel pump to a high pressure version like the one in the corvette and get a good fuel pressure guage to be sure you're feeding the engine what it needs. Install a aftermarket VSS (Vehical Speed Sensor) from JTR or painless wiring - DO NOT get cheap on the VSS. It is required to get good results.

Even though one is very expensive, the factory service manual for the same year model corvette is a big help. While you're at it get the book "Chevrolet TBI & TPI engine swapping" from summit or direct from Jags That Run (around 24.95) it has tons of tips for the swap. From there it's a good idea to strip the wiring harness of unnecessary circuits (real need for factory manual here). Next route the wiring, hookup the relays and say a few prayers (that never hurts)... be sure to pay extra attention to the ground circuits from the computer. MAKE SURE YOUR GROUNDS ARE GOOD! It is REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT to get the computer GROUNDED WELL! Don't be tempted to cheat - ground each circuit as required to the chassis. Check all the factory ground straps tooo. The computer will be a real FREAK if your chassis (and the computer wiring harness) is not grounded very well.

Even though the '727 computer is water resistant, if you bog a lot mount it in the cab where you have easy access and it is out of the way (yeah, and tell me where that is... got A/C?)

Good luck and let me know if you need help. I can't say I'm a real expert but I have been reading up on TPI swaps for 2 years at www.diy-efi.org/gmecm. Your questions will probably just help me understand a little more about what the heck I'm gonna be doing (as well as help others) :-)

BTW: if you like electornics and feel like you can erase, modify and burn eproms, there is free software available (ask if you can't find the links at www.diy-efi.org) so you fine tune things like spark timing and fuel curve without paying someone to do it over the phone... chances are you'll get it better anyway since you'll be doing real time monitoring of the engine on your laptop / computer...

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>lizard, did you drill the 91 intake for the 72 heads yet? I have a 91 setup thats going on my K5 after I get back from Paragon next weekend. I need some info on fitting my intake to my heads. The local machine shop didnt help much over the phone, they just wanted me to pay them $200 to do it.

6. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

$200!!! Dont do it. take a drill bit and ream it out a little. there are angular washers available to give the bolt a good square seat but have heard of people using some black RTV, tourqing down the bolts and saying to heck with it :-)

I had my machinist spot face the manifold since I am picky... he did it for me for free but $25.00 is what you should expect to pay.

You could get a pre 87 manifold with the right bolt holes from ebay for $40 or so...

latr

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Where can I get these angled washers?

8. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

I dont know. FWIW I have heard that you can find them at swap meets..

anybody ahve a vendor name or URL?