Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need a list of EVERYTHING that I am going to need install a Corvette TPI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72Blazerod, May 15, 2002.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Hi guys,

Okay, I got the entire 1990 Corvette L-98 with accessories but I need to make a shopping list of everything that I am going to need to install it in my 72 K5. I have heard it is pretty easy but I have never done anything like this before. So if you have done this swap could you let me know ALL the items you needed to get. I have to figure how much all the little stuff is going to cost to decide if my house really needs electricity for the next few months (LOL).

Thanks a lot again,

Rod

2. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

if you really have it all and it was all in good runinng shape all you would need is a fuel pump that is rated high enough and a return fuel line.

but somethings to think about is having the VATS removed (factory security) which i think most aftermarket harness take care of, VSS, O2 sensors and exhaust.

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Contact "therobzilla"....

he put a TPI in his '72.

Marv

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Suggestions -

1. Fuel tank with baffles (TBI type) for the off camber/angled stuff so you don't starve the motor. $150ish
    2. Hi pressure fuel pump either in tank or external (my preference). Easier to replace an external than dropping your tank who knows where. 43.5psi is the 'standard' expected needed pressure. $125ish
    3. Run new steel line from pump to engine compartment. 3/8" supply, 5/16" return (return can be rubber, I use the Spectre stainless wrapped rubber hose for abrasion resistance). DIY $40ish
    4. Find a good location for the ECM. Not sure on first gens, but I put mine behind the glove box mounted above the heater box.
    5. Harness? What do you plan on using? I used a Painless but there are a few good aftermarket ones out there that are nice and sanitary hookups. [$300ish[/b]
    6. PROM - gotta consider VATS at the minimum to be programmed out. I suggest using VSS ( www.jagsthatrun.com ) has VSS pulse generators - I used one of their 4 pulse units, works great for me. www.fastchips is but one source............ $200+

That's a start........

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

BlazzinOR covered most of what you'll need.

What are you planning to use for exhaust manifolds? I put an '87 'vette TPI into my 75 and used the factory mini-headers that were on the 'vette engine. This required notching about 1/2-inch out of the motor mount bracket on the drivers side for clearance. We just notched it and welded in a brace to make sure it would still be strong enough. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

If you're really adventurous, you can use the factory harness. Most of the wires are connected directly between the engine and computer. Only 6 or 7 have to actually be connected into the truck harness. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif The factory service manual and wiring diagrams for the 'vette were extremely helpful when I did mine. Of course, when I did it, back in '89, the only aftermarket harness that was around was the one from Howell. At the time they were big bucks, so I figured out how to use what I had. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I agree. The factory harness can easily be used and it will save you some money.