Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need a little help here at work on bolt size and length

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm looking to order new bolts to install my rear springs in the 80 K20. Does anybody know the size and length of the bolts used to hold the rear springs as well as the shackle bolt. From memory I'm thinking 9/16" (or maybe 1/2") by 4.5" fine thread, but it's been a while. I want to order online today, so I won't have a chance to measure mine. Anyone know???

TIA
    Chris

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Right size (9/16). Not exactly sure on length or thread pitch. 4 1/2 inch does sound correct. Order the grade 8's, but you already know that, along w/ Nylok nuts.

John

3. Leadfoot

Thanks,

Yes I am going to use Grade 8 Zinc plated fine thread, but instead of the Nyloc nut I use "Top Lock" nuts. They are the kind the factory uses. They are flat like a regular nut on the face and tapered at the top. They are also machine crimped (miss-shapened) at the top which provides the locking aspect.

Thanks for the heads up though, Nyloc would be my second choice if these weren't available.

If anyone can confirm the length (if your rig is readily available), it would be greatly appreciated.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i dont like those top crimp style nuts. here is why.
    they hold great, as do the nylon insert style. BUT i would rather replace a nut after 2 or 3 times of removing it than the bolt. the crimped nuts eat the bolt away the first time or 2 of being installed. nuts cost less than bolts.
    Grant

5. Leadfoot

Very true about it eating the bolt, but if they do get removed (which hopefully they won't for awhile), I will replace them anyway. I'm anal like that, and the fastenal down the road gives me great prices (high volume discount.......as I have gotten work to buy all their fastener's there /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif).

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Just went and measured. 4.5 on my half ton for the rear .