Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need a man....

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by ChevyCaGal, Sep 15, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

.... or a woman.... to help me out here. I am sending in the final payment for my axles this coming week. After the guy gets it I am going to call him on shipping and set something up with Forward Air. One snag... I have no idea how I will be getting them home. Is there anyone in my area who can help me out? They are going to be heavy not to mention crated. I just need them stuck in my driveway and I will cover them with a tarp. I think they can load them there at Forward Air. So it's basically drive up to my place and dump out somehow. My issue is the weight. I can't move that much on my own. So... if anyone is willing to help me please let me know. Maybe we can work something out? Thanks... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Engine Hoist.

3. ChevyCaGal

I don't have one... nor a truck to get them home. I can't get 2 crates in the back of the Blazer. Anyhow ttt.... anyone? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Rent a U-Haul trailer.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah....U-Haul.

Then you can get them home, maybe jack up one side of the crate with a floor jack, get one of the little square carpeted "furntire movers" with the wheels under it.....and roll them down the ramp of the trailer until they hit the pavement. Then pull out the rollers/jack and let the crate sit on the pavement....pull the trailer forward, and let the crates slide out.

Break down the crates, and use the trailer to take all that wood to the dump too....!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't even think about putting them in the Blazer. Dangerous to you and the Blazer.

Are you picking them up from FA in Sac or San Fran? When?

The 1/2 ton truck I used for my D60 was almost maxed - if you are transporting 2 axles at 1 time I would use a U-Haul.

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Maybe you could tie a rope to the crate and then to a car or something and then drive the van forward real slow.

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

When will you be picking them up?

9. Red Chevy Girl

Red Chevy Girl 1/2 ton status

At forward air in sac they have forklifts to load them, for unloading rent a dump truck. then there is no manual labor involved.

10. ChevyCaGal

U-Haul.... hey that might work I forgot they have the ramp and then I can use the truck to load it up with all my crap and make a dump run afterwards. If I am not strong enough to shove the crates out then I can ask my friends husband to come over and help me out (or if he can't I might be asking one of you guys!). I'm going to talk to the guy I am buying from again and see how big the crates are and such. At least the 14b has rear disc brakes. Still heavy but lighter then with the drums!! As for the when I will be getting them... not sure. Next few weeks..... still have to set the exact date up because I am going to be gone for a few days out of town in the start of October and can't be having them arrive then...

11. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I could be available to pick them up while your gone...

/forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    MUahh ha ha ha ha haaaaa
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I had a 8 lug 10 bolt and 14 SF in my JEEP Comanche. I pulled the hill on 205 from Sac back home to San Jose (at the time). It took 4 guys and me to load each one in the Jeep. I used a engine hoist set on 1000 lbs, and it almost TIPPED pulling out the 10 bolt!!!

It was low, but not much in the way of pulling power...

Hmmm maybe THAT's why my (manual) tranny blew a gear out a year later???

13. 2Dogs

I will be in Sac Oct. 19 & 20. The more the people the better - the diffs are VERY difficult to move.

Sliding the crates down the ramp is the best idea.

I also have a furniture dolly that would be strong enough (I think).

Sorry I am too far to really help.... (but my back is happy that way /forums/images/icons/smile.gif )

14. 2Dogs

Is the comanche a truck or open cab?

Open cab - If you hit your brakes hard all that they would find of you is a greasy spot in your seat /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

15. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

It was a truck.
    It didn't have enough brakes to stop hard. However, I do understand your point, if I hit something squish.

I never went over 60 mph, and I left PLENTY of room between me and the next car. I also tried to keep an "exit path" in case something did happen.

I am sure the Truck drivers in our club can understand. I am sure there are more safety driving techniques that could have been used, that I am not aware of. For this reason, I try to allow as much room between myself and other truck drivers, and trailer haulers as I can, as I can (atleast) sympathise with what their doing to be careful when driving.

16. ChevyCaGal

I could always back up fast into my driveway and slam on the brakes and pray when they fly out the don't take out my house! LOL /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

17. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

There you go... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I don't suppose your too worried about your driveway cracking either, eh?

As a side note: My friend and I broke his furniture dolly moving a 14FF (with drums) around. We got half way to our destination...and CRACK!!!

Luckily it did have drums, because we rolled it the rest of the way!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif