Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need a new fishing reel- suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

On my last trip, my reel internally self-destructed and is beyond repair. It was a cheapy that I've been using for years so I told my wife that I'm gonna replace it with something really nice. My brother-in-law suggested I go with a Quantum Kinetic PTI, which is apparently a really good quality reel.

Can anybody suggest any other brands or models I should check out? I usually fish rivers but from time to time I get out on a lake. Also, it has to be an open-spool style because I use my reel summer and winter and can't have a closed-spool reel due to ice buildup issues.

Thanks, lads!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

how much do you want to spend? the shimano symetre 1000 RH is a very nice reel, but runs about 70-80. pretty much anything by shimano is a good choise, even their cheaper stuff. there are so many different models i couldnt name all the ones i have.

3. Can Can

I'm aiming to spend around $100 CDN(about $70 USD). I've heard that Shimano make a good unit.....

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i dont know if you have walmart...but i bought some NICE mitchell setups for 40-50 bucks and let me tell you they are comparable if not better than my shimano setups..

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Dammit, this is the type of conversations we need going on around these parts cause as most of you don't know, I'm the best damn fisherman in the world without a fishing show............ /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I was going to suggest one that I have, had it for about 15 years now, but it's packed up and it's closed face. The drag adjustment is next to the handle and is like a boat throttle, makes adjustments on the fly damn easy.

So, here's my recommendation. It's a Maxxar Ambassadeur, can't find any info on the web right now. I've used it once since I inherited it and it's a real nice reel.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've got a South Bend Gemini level wind that i'll sell ya. I've only had it about 1yr, only used on 1 fishing trip and I hate the thing. I went back to using the bail type.

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Shimano Spirex series are a good bang for the buck...
    Check Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops....

8. Can Can

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got a South Bend Gemini level wind that i'll sell ya. I've only had it about 1yr, only used on 1 fishing trip and I hate the thing. I went back to using the bail type.

[/ QUOTE ]

One hint, brother. When trying to sell something, you should really avoid telling the customer that you "hate the thing"...... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I just don't like level winds, prolly cause i'm used to just using the bail types. So I just went ahead and bought one, but this one is still in excellent condition. But yeah, i know what you mean /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever try bowfishing?

11. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Out of the dozen or so reels I have, my favorite is my Daiwa Laguna.

[​IMG]

It's a little expensive ($70.00) but I taken it backpacking, out in Puget Sound, up to Minaki a few times and on many rivers here. I have NEVER had even a minor problem with this reel.

Bass Pro Shops has them but you can find them all over.

Other than that, I have a few different Shimano reels that work pretty well.

12. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone ever try bowfishing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, but not for a few years. We had a darkhouse on the lake in Minnesota (on the ice) that was a load of fun.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

anything by shimano wins hands down imho. i have the sahara and its one of their cheaper ones but it has done me good here in this saltwater hell. lol. the more expensive shimanos are even better. i've had fishing reels of all sorts since i was 4 and i've loved the shimano. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

If you want something really nice get an openface PENN reel. Thats all we use. We've had them for quite a while and never any problems.

Nick

15. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Bow Fishing is bad@ss!! My brother does it all the time.

Nick

16. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

shimano is crap. Mitchell's are a little better but personally I wouldnt buy one. Well they're crap for saltwater fishing but ther're probably ok for fresh.

Nick

17. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

hell i love my shimano and only thing its ever seen is saltwater. dropped it in the water a few times but cleaned it afterwards and all is still well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I don't know much about reel's but when it come's to bait.

Try some peice's of Michael Jackson, they should bring in some big one's? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

In my opinnion the Mitchell 300 spinning reel is one of the best reels you can buy. I have been fishing all my life and have found no better medium size spinning reel. I have used them in both fresh and salt water with great sucess I have some that were my fathers they are over 30 years old that still work fine.
    I fish in some very harsh conditions. The alkali water here in Nevada in very hard on reels. And big Cutthroats 10 lbs + tear them up. I fish mainly with large heavy lures so I work my reels hard.
    Mitchells have outlasted any other reel I have ever bought. Most other reels, even the expensive ones break after a year or two of the abuse I give them.
    You can get a mitchell 300 for around 40-50 bucks. That leaves some money left out of your $100 budget price for BEER. A very essintial arm and wrist lubricant
    I have also found Diawa Black Gold reels to be a very good reel. They can take a beating without breaking. I like them for Ocean fishing but they are great for big fresh water fish also. They come in about 6 diferent sizes from small to large.
    Mitchell 300 review

20. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i have hauled in some big bass, on my mitchell and on my shimano but the mitchels was a much more enjoyable fight and operates much more smoothly than any other rod/reel combo ive ever owned..