Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

i need a new fuel pump, help ASAP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Nov 6, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i went out wheelin today, will have pics up tomorrow, but twords thew end of the day my fuel pump died. its the second one in the last year. it is an inside the tank electric pump but i would like to run an external pump. could i do it and what would be a good part number and where should i put it?

87' K5 blazer, 350 TBI

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

anyone? please help....i need to get to school...

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Buy a Delco intank and forget it.

There is no reason an in tank fuel pump shouldn't last 100,000+ miles, besides a shoddy product.

4. PsychoticDeadGuy

ok, i think it was the company product. i forget where it was made but it was a KEM product, but we got rid of that line about a month ago so no getting my money back. my mom had a mustang that went through 3 KEM pumps in 6months or so. i guess i will just get a new in tank pump then.

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

If you're really gung-ho about external pumps, most autoparts stores (I used to work at Advance and AutoZone) have a "universal fit" external model. Just make sure you don't talk to the fresh young kid at the store, talk to one of the guys that's been there long enough to know they have it. Or else you could always check Summit Racing or Jegs.

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Turbo City do a good external pump for TBI.
    Kind of curious though, does anyone know if you could carry an external pump as a spare and fit it (in emergencies) in line without removing the intank pump? I'm not sure if the broken in tank pump would restrict fuel outlet to the external one??
    Sorry for the highjack! :D

7. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Since all the electric fuel pumps I know of are centerfugal types (they spin an impeller to get the fuel moving) they should still allow fuel to flow if they are broke. Most pumps of this style have a lot of slop and space around the impeller because they aren't positive-displacement. I've heard of it being done and working, so yes you SHOULD be able to carry a spare external pump. Now of course there may be other types of pumps that won't work...

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a good 'trail spare' then!