Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need a new motor!/mudding pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Apr 27, 2000.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Well, my motor has probably just started to kick the bucket. Now, the truck has just started riding rough since I took it off roading today... it really grabs when I accelerate.. Not to mention it stalled 3 times, and I couldn't get it to do over 60 on the highway... and I was vibrating to death when it did. Big Gray said that the plugs are probably fouled, so I better look for a new motor soon. I need a new 350 TBI engine. Anyone know of a good, cheap, reliable place to get a new one? No junkyard motors, new stuff.
    oh yeah, a muddy pic for you all to enjoy:
    [​IMG]
    this was at the halfway point.. the truck is twice as muddy now though. What can you expect? it was my first time offroading.. 33"s w/ a 3" body lift don't go very far.. Though Big Gray got stuck in a mud pit. I had to pull him out. It was funny

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Re: I need a new motor!

<font color=blue>Try this site http://www.buxbro.com. They built my motor and you might be able to get some info from there. If not, they have cool pics of their race cars.

Actually, i got out most of the way by myself after the strap fell off your truck the first time we tried, but you pulled the rest of the way. The $6.95 towhook saved the day![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but you were stuck pretty bad. By the way, your pics aren't working.
    Big Gray's truck stuck:
    [​IMG]
    Ass (my truck's nickname) to the rescue!
    [​IMG]

4. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Nice Pics! Try this web site: http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/parts/ete_top_frame.htm

Also, you may want to think about Jasper Engines & Transmissions. One of my local mechanics is an authorized installer and speaks pretty highly of them. Me, I'd prefer a brand spanking new one from GM.

Hope this helps,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

5. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

If your truck just started running rough today, and just after going in the mud, I would check thingsto make sure the plug wires are attached and there is no water anywhere that would make it run rough. Distributor, carb, etc. Unless you really messed up I doubt you ruined your engine. I would deffinetly check everything before you try to buy an engine. It may have been an existing problem like they said, but you can run along time if your only getting a little bit of oil on your plug.

6. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Well, ever since I got it, it's been leaking oil. The diagnosis was leaking valve seals. In any case, I was planning on possibly getting a performance motor and a dual exaust with dual cats. Anyways, I want some reccomendations for what type of engine I should get.
    More scans!:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

8. 73/75 k5

73/75 k5 Registered Member

I put a zz4 350 in my 75 back in Dec. I got it from my local GM dealer. Pretty cool motor, all you have to do is drop it in and bolt up your accessories and fire er up. It even came with oil already in it but I decided to change it anyways. GM claims 355hp and 405ft lbs of torque. I noticed a big difference from my mildly built hecho in mexico (made in mexico, not that there's anything wrong with that,I just heard the castings were different than the ones made here)motor. I can even smoke my 35's with 4:11 now. But it will burn a whole in your pocket. over 3k. And you may have to grind your ps pump bracket and buy a starter for a 153 tooth flex plate like I did. But there's an alternitive which I wish I would've waited for. GM came out with a 383 motor that puts out 415ft lbs of torque below 3500rpm and runs on 87 gas(By the way I have to run 92 or else it'll ping)and its like 2,700 bucks. It also includes everything except for your accessories. These motors are also the newer style one piece rear main seal and a roller cam(runs smooooooooth)and center bolt valve covers.Or you can always go big block but I think you'll have to get different accessory brackets but thats no big deal.Well good luck in finding a motor.