Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need a Q-jet.. where can I get one?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Jul 26, 2001.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

My Q-jet is still running rich. No matter how much I have had people try to tune it, it's still screwed up. I think it may be because it's missing some of the vaccum lines due to the engine replacement a couple of years ago. Is there any way to get rid of these unneccesary vaccum lines?
    I know the thing probably needs a rebuild too. I need to know where I can get another one since I can't just take apart my Q-jet for a rebuild cuz my 84 is the only truck I have running now. Everyone tells me to get away from Q-jets cuz they're harder to tune for custom applications. But, I wanna stay with a Q-jet cuz it seems to be a really good carb for my truck. If I have to, I'll go to an edelbrock carb, but that's only if I run out of options.

2. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I bought one off of eBay before. Just do a search for quadrajet.

1986 K5, New GM 350, Edelbrock Intake, K&N Air Filter, Flowtech Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT, 700R4, 3.42 gears

3. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

go to the bone yard. Aound here you can find em for $20 if you look. Can't hurt to try.
    Mike

You call that dirty!?

4. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Ebay is kinda iffy to me. I'm afraid that I may be screwed over with a crappy carb. Is it really worth going there to get one?

<a target="_blank" href=http://billybob87k5.50megs.com>Homepage of Porky & Stinky</a>
    Billybob, the REAL <font color=red>Bionic Redneck</font color=red>

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

6. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I got mine from eBay for $20. I rebuilt it when I got it and I couldn't be happier. As with buying anything on eBay, just be careful who you're dealing with.

1986 K5, New GM 350, Edelbrock Intake, K&N Air Filter, Flowtech Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT, 700R4, 3.42 gears

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can pull off all vacuum lines and plug them, and it will run fine. Only thing you will need to keep hooked up is the secondary pulloff, which is the one that comes out of the passenger side front of the carb, at a downward 45 degree angle, basically pointing towards the passenger front wheel.

If its running rich, it may be as simple as a stuck/maladjusted float or power piston being stuck in the bore. If not a carb with electrical plugs (besides the choke, if electric) you can remove the top 1/3rd of the carb with it still on the vehicle, and check both the power piston and float level. Rebuild kit will come with the gasket you will need, and will run you $20 or less typically.Will have the float height checker with it as well. I'd have to recommend getting Doug Roe's book "rochester quadrajets" You'll learn a lot about these carbs operation. They aren't as complicated as people make them out to be.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html&gt;http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html&lt;/a&gt;
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

8. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i feel your pain. i went through 3 of them on my 82.

Engineers up!