Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need a quick fix.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeromy Gibson, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Jeromy Gibson

Jeromy Gibson 1/2 ton status

the adapter between my 465 and 205 broke where it mounts to the crossmember. anyone got a quick fix? It must be a common problem everyone adapter I have found has one ear broken off. I hope to fix it tonight. I have to have my truch to tech by 8 for the mudbogs tomorrow. Thanks for any advice in advance.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You'll have to get nice used one. I have an idea on how to fix it but it requires welding and a tap to rethread hole , and even then I don't reccomend it. A hard shift may break it again. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Jeromy Gibson

my idea has been to reweld the broken piece and make for lack of better example a piece of angle iron that goes under the mount and then ties into the bolts that go into the tranny or tcase. should add some strenght? I called all the local places and there is no way to get one before tomorrow.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Where are you located? Fill out you profile. Someone around you might have one laying around.

5. Jeromy Gibson

Amarillo Texas. I am still not understanding how it broke which makes it hard to try to prevent it from happening again.

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

it should be interesting welding the cast iron back together without it breaking again right next to your welds. i would recomend getting another adapter. also, do some scrounging around and find a tcase brace. it connects the passenger side of the tcase to the frame. they used the smae round rubber mounts found on divoriced tcases. it shuold help distribute the torque.
    good luck

7. Jeromy Gibson

I will look for one but I don't have the time now. This weekend is our only big event of the year, and it sucks not having your own truck out there. I just would like something to get me by this weekend. I would like to take it through the pit once and climb some easy trail thats all, mostly just cruise around. And then later try to find an adapter to replace it with.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

One possible cause is using a combination of rubber and polyurethane transmission and engine mounts. Excessive drivetrain movement is a more likely cause. If the mounts are worn out, it allows more stress on the attaching bolts, and the adapter "foot" bolts are the weakest link out of the entire setup.