Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need a softer ride!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4wheelattitude, Sep 12, 2006.

1. 4wheelattitude

4wheelattitude 1/2 ton status

My old 70 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 is beating the crap out of me! Does anybody know where to get and what kind of spring to get that would be a bit more forgiving? Do I need longer springs? If I put the longer springs on then I would also have to relocate the shackles as well right? I already installed a shackle flip and will need to get new 4" springs for the front anyway. Thanks for any info and suggestions.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Shocks play a big role in how the truck rides. That may be a good place to look. Otherwise, look into lift springs with a low spring rate (BDS or Tough Country). Longer springs front and rear will improve the ride but you will have to deal with keeping the wheelbase the same and moving all the spring mounts.

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used a flip with my stock rear springs and EZ Ride 4" fronts. I'm really pleased with it. But as 383 says, shocks play a BIG part in ride quality. I went from Rancho 5000 to Edelbrock some time back and it transformed my ride. REALLY nice!

4. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

instead of 4" lift springs up front maybe put a set of 52" rear spring up front wich will net you aprox. 4" lift but will include some modification of spring mounts and maybe longer shackles which i think can be dont easily as diy4x sells brackets for this mod and lots of people make longer shackles. i think you will have to mod the steering or convert to crossover if you go 52s in the front as well but not to sure on that. also get some good shocks

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I use the Rancho p/n 86210 up front. This spring is considered to be a Blazer only "Pre-Runner" spring and is listed in the numeric listings only. It's not in their applications guide. Should also be in Triage's spring file.
    I've had them under two different SBC powered Subs & I like them.
    My original post on them.

Second shocks making or breaking the ride quality. I had RS5k's on the front and went to a Bils 5100. Will never go back.

6. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

take your leaves apart, take a leaf out of each pack and grease them with a heavy duty marine grease amd either change your shocks or "inboard" mount them. For the ultimate ride...LINK IT UP :-]

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

When you move the shocks inboard you gain compliance which is a softer ride, but you loose control, which is body sway. Moving them out allows for a soft ride w/o the loss of control IF (big factor there) the valve stack is correct.

On the other hand, a RS9k in each of the stock front mounts works surprisingly well with the springs I mentioned. RS9k's just suck on the fade resistance. About 15 miles into a 40 mile stretch of washboard in Baja & they were done. At least they came back after they cooled off. The Monroe Gas Magnums on the rear never did.

8. balterbuilt

well you can actually move the shocks forward at the top so the rears would lean forward from at the frame, which is what I did, then you gain travel an effectively soften the ride.

9. 4wheelattitude

help me with 52's on the front idea

I've kicked around the idea of the 52's up front, But I don't know where to start or what needs done? I thought the longer springs would give a softer ride, but where do I get the Stuff I need to get the job done. I mean, I've never done anything like this before. However I'm very mechanicly inclined. Just lack the knowledge on the subject.

10. 4wheelattitude

I really don't understand about moving the top of the shocks forward? Maybe you could splain it to me sloooowly. Because the frame has a sizeable divit where the top of the shocks mount. Did you get those headlights fixed yet?

11. balterbuilt

nope, still running one dim headlight. The top of the shocks mount to a bolt, to get an idea of what i'm talking about, move that bolt (theoretically) forward on the frame so the shock is mounted at, lets say, a 60 degree angle. This would stretch the shock out, so now compress the shock to the length it was at ride height and that would be your new mounting location. Build your mount however you want, i just used an existing hole inthe frame and put a big bolt through it, works great. So now you have a shock with more travel and less firmsness creating a softer ride but without the "inboarding" problems. Does that make sense? I can take a picture of mine if you need to know more.

12. 4wheelattitude

No pic needed. That was pretty clear. Thank you the reply and the info:waytogo: