Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I NEED A THROTTLE BODY................. need help quick

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89BlazerK5, Sep 15, 2003.

1. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

i'm rebuilding my TBI 350 in my '91 K5. got it back in the truck. dad over tightened the fuel return connection, and cracked it, and it is beyond repairable. so, i need a new Throttle Body. O'Rilley's quoted me $80 for a rebuilt oem throttle body. is there an aftermarket one? or what about a 454 TB??? will it greatly decrease my gas milage?? how much $$$? where do i get one?

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you should only need a new fuel injector pod. The base and the part the injectors mount to are seperate. I have an extra one of these if you want it drop me a message at alan@1337info.com we can work something out you can probably get one at a local junkyard without much hassle.

3. 89BlazerK5

thanks, but, i need to get this thing running in the next couple of days, so i wouldn't have time. plus for the cost of shipping, i'd be better off find something here. i thought about checking junkyards, but it's such a hassle. i'll maybe call a few yards quick. i was sort of wandering what kinda upgrade can i do? and if it's not too much more, i'd consider it.

4. 89BlazerK5

my 350 injectors are 55lb, 9C1 police are 65lb., and 454 injectors are 80 lbs????

would the injector pod & injectors from a 9C1, or the 454 fit in my 350 TBI??

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

454 injector pod I don't know. I know that the injectors would fit but as you said too much fuel. You are correct though I've heard 75 sometimes for 454.

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

dude just go to a yard and yank the injector pod...I did the same thing to my 454 TBI and had my 350 TB laying around so I used the injector pod of the 350 on the 454 TB and just put in the 454 injectors...You can usually get complete 305/350 TBI on ebay CHEAP the 454 ones get kinda pricey

7. 89BlazerK5

if i get bigger injectors, is it going to be feeding it too much fuel? i've got the stock computer and stock cam and all. does that mattter?

my dad is buying, and he is insistant on getting the whole unit. so, i think i'm just gonna let him get the whole thing for like $80. then, later on, i can stick bigger injectors in there if i want. i've got to get this thing done and running this week.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd go bigger if you had some work done, otherwise no. Like my 95 has a ported throttle body, K&N FIPK2, and high flow exhaust, if I went to headers I was going to put 9C1 Police car 65 injectors in.

9. fortcollinsram

the 454 injectors ARE WAY TOO BIG for a 350...the 65# COP injectors would help but that is still probably more than you need...Just for the hell of it I put 350 injectos on my 454...it wouldn't even start...

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You've got to get a custom chip with a BBC TBI on a SBC..................

11. fortcollinsram

[ QUOTE ]
    You've got to get a custom chip with a BBC TBI on a SBC..................

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? My understanding of it is that if you use the 350 injectors, the size fo the throttle bore doesn't matter.Like on a TBI motor, just b/c you swap the intake and put on a high flow air filter doesn't constitute the need for a new chip...Most people put the 454 TB on b/c the bores are huge compared to the 350 TB bores...but if you use the same injectors, why would a need chip be needed? On my 454, I have strayed FAR from the factory specs and it runs GREAT. IMHO, a custom chip is only needed when you need fuel tables that is outside the factory parameter. Things such as bigger displacement and a low idle-vacuum cam...But you can do ALL you want to a TBI motor in terms of freeing up HP by doing head work and intake work.

12. fortcollinsram

that is all assuming you use the STOCK 55# injectors...I doubt the 454 injectors can even cycle low enough to keep a 350 running stoich at idle..

Chris

13. 89BlazerK5

thats what i was wanting to know........... thanks. i ordered a rebuilt 350 TBI, and i'll have it tomorrow.

only performance mods i have are headers, true duals, 2 flowmasters, and K&N. i just finished a fresh rebuild. bored .030" with new pistions, stock size cam, lifters, etc. so, it's basically like a brand new stock engine. performance mods will come after lift and bigger tires, and after i get some $$$. i plan on redoing the top end with a nice cam with roller lifters, and roller rockers, and maybe vortec heads -- then maybe the 9C1 65# injectors. i don't need the 454tb for what i do.

*also, wouldn't going to a bigger bore TB kill your low end power??

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because assumption is the mother of all [darn] ups!!!!!!!!!!

I was assuming 454 injectors would also be used...........

So with the BBC TBI and stock SBC injectors, what improvements did you gain?

15. 89BlazerK5

you get a bigger bore which means more airflow. which will increase hp on the high end, but loose your low end torque. which is not what most of us want to do.

16. fortcollinsram

You are coorect, if the 80#/hr injectors are used, a new chip is required, but if you just use the 454 TB (which has 2" bores) you get a ton more air flow....The stock TBI's can deliver tons of fuel, it is air that they lack the capability of delivering...That is why the TB's from Turbo City are so popular, b/c they offer airflow comperable to that of a 454TB...

Chris

17. 89BlazerK5

hahahaha. when my dad told me O'Riley's had a whole rebuilt throttle body for $86, i had a hard time believing him, but i said, ok, go ahead and buy it. well, that $86 was for ONE INJECTOR. hahaha. so, i JB welded the pod back together, and i'm going to try to make it work. if not, off to the junkyards i go.... sled_dog, i may need to talk to you about your injector pod. i'll let you know.