Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need advice about starting an engine that's been sitting for a while

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Can Can, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I need advice about starting an engine that\'s been sitting for a while

My uncle called me the other day and told me that I have to get my 58 GMC pickup off his property because he's going to start subdividing and needs the truck gone.

I haven't started or even turned the engine(it's about an 87 carbed 305) over in about 6 or 7 years. I'm looking for advice to make sure I don't do any damage when I start it up after it's been sitting for this long. FWIW, I plan on swapping out ALL the fluids and every filter on the truck before I turn the key.

Anyhow, any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks, brother!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

Re: I need advice about starting an engine that\'s been sitting for a while

as long as you're changing all the fluids and filters you should be fine. if you really wanted to be safe you could pull the distributor and manually run the oil pump for a minute to get the oil flowing before it fires over. if you've never done this its simple, just take the shaft out of an old distributor, if you can get the gear off you're set, i just ground the teeth off so it doesnt touch the camshaft.

this is almost an overkill in my opinion, if you pull the wire to the distributor and let the engine crank for 30-45 seconds it'll do the same thing. keeps it from sparking and firing over, but gets the oil flowing. it normally takes a little bit for the fuel pump to get the gas up to the engine anyway, so this will get the engine ready for a quick start once you reconnect the wire to the dist....

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Wouldnt hurt to pour a little marvel mystery oil (or other light oil)down the carb to help lube up the valve stems and upper cylinder areas--it will make it smoke pretty bad for a few minites,but thats better than a dry start for those rusty rings and cylinders--you dont need much,a cupful is plenty.I worked at a junkyard that had only antique autos,and had to get a lot of motors to turn and run after sitting 15-20 years--many of them we had to break free with a crowbar on the flywheel!!(and to my suprise many of them ran good!)after we got them to turn!. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    if you pull the wire to the distributor and let the engine crank for 30-45 seconds it'll do the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was actually part of the plan. I know a guy with an early-70s Camaro that only drives the car about 6 times a year. He does the exact same thing every time he fires it up.

Thanks for the feedback, brothers!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif