Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need bank opinions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 9, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Citibank is about to apply a stiff charge to a banking activity I do very often with that account (transfer money to other institutions).

I need to close this account quick, too, since the charges will apply monday, and this account is my only method of funding two other accounts. Actually 4 other accounts if I count Paypal and Ebay.

So far I've looked at Bank of America and Bank of New York, and I'm not really impressed with either, plus their minimum deposits suck for the types of account I want.
    I already bank with Washington Mutual, and I hate them, so they're out, too.

I need a free/no-minimum checking account that's very online-friendly. Citibank's online access has been pretty easy to use, moreso than WaMu's cluttered mess.

I can't seem to think of any banks right now, though...

Can you guys post up with banks you've had good or bad experiences with? Things like Wamu's cheesy multiple charges for overdrafting, Citibanks quiet implementation of charges and the occasional non-citi atm fee that appears whether you use the atm card or not, or USAA's awesome ATM fee reimbursement and purchase percentage points.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

look for a local credit union... they are MUCH less likely to charge fees for stuff... and they don't always try to sell, sell, SELL products to you that you don't want.

j

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I always try to use local banks in lieu of large national banks. Much better service, lower (or no) fees in many cases and the service is 10X better.

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use a local bank as well. Also, my local bank has a deal with Wells Fargo to use their ATM's with my cash card free of charge. So if I know of a Wells Fargo in the area (there's one a few blocks up main street from me at school) I can use their ATM with no b.s. $5 fees for withdrawal.

5. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I use Wells Fargo. I like them a lot.

6. axiomaticdesigns

axiomaticdesigns Registered Member

Also with a credit union you have more say because it's the members that basically run it.

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Just keep the money under your mattress.

8. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Probably too late for this but go with a credit union.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Not too late, I'll look around for a credit union, but I do'nt recall ever seeing or hearing of one around here.
    I just pushed a crapload of money around today to get it all out of the way before the fee is applied. While that might imply I actually *have* a crapload of money, these are things like upcoming mortgage and tax payments...

I would go with a local bank, but using Bank of NY as an example, the online banking is usually terrible. Stellar in-branch service is always a plus, but I don't do much, if any, of that.

Thanks for the pointers all.

10. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Ratch - check out ING Direct (ingdirect.com) I've used them for years. They have high rates on their savings and it's easy to transfer money in and out. If you want, I can send you an email invite and you'll get $25 for signing up (full disclosure - I also get ten). I've never heard a complaint from anyone I've referred.

11. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

We had good luck with a credit union in Denver (great online services, and quick transactions). We have Suntrust right now, and are happy so far, but I don't think they go up to NY.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yup, ING rocks, I have an account with them already. The only drawback to it is how long it takes to get money out when it's needed, and the citibank account that I want to get rid of was/is my linked account.

Jac, I'll see if I can find suntrust on the net and if they do any biz here in NY.

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Being that your bro is in the Navy he should be able to get you a Navy Federal Credit Union account or a USAA account. I have NFCU but have been told that USAA has better interest rates. I do know with USAA any fees that another bank charges you (I.E. atm fees) USAA will refund them to your account. You should have him look into it for you.

Ira

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yup, we're in USAA through my wife's dad, retired Army. That's another one that was linked to the Citibank account. The USAA account is an important account to us, though, so I don't want to use it to fund toy-stuff like paypal or ebay, like I do right now with the citi account.
    I should clarify that the account I'm looking for is supposed to be mostly a pass-through account so I can have branches and an emergency deposit quickly accessible, and if it somehow gets tapped, I don't lose our "living" money.

I used to hide cash all over the place in little hiding places when I was a kid. Now that I'm a grown-up, I do the same thing, but with bank accounts...:doah:

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Try NFCU then only need to have $5 bucks to open a savings account and I am pretty sure your brother can be a "sponsor" for you.

Ira

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:thumb:

Cool, thanks for the info, I'll get him to hook me up when he gets in from his current ride around the ocean... Should be in a day or two, too, I think.

17. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya if the Ronnie Reagan is like everyone else they will prolly be in Friday and down until the New Year. If not this week the mid next week.

Ira

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Same here. Wells Fargo is about everywhere I travel, so they work good for me.