Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

I need Cam help, again.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Dec 2, 2004.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok so im pretty close to pulling the engine out of the blazer to freshen it up and need to choose a cam. Im sticking with hydraulic flat tappet for cost. The engine will have vortec heads(got em for free), GMPP vortec to TBI intake, headers, big TBI unit and yada yada yada. Im looking for all around power improvement, but mainly mid-top end power since I have 4.88's and 36's, and this is my pre-runner project.

So I called Comp Cams tonight and the tech guy told me to use a 12-249-4, it has .434 Intake, and .444 Exhaust, with 112 LS. Cam Card It seems a little small to me, but then again I dont know crap about it.

I was also looking at this one and this one But I dont know if either of these would work since im running TBI, but I do know that I will most likely get a PROM burned so that everything works right.

2. 74 chev

74 chev 1/2 ton status

i got a .454 lift cam in my motor but i could use a little more if i got another one i would go with a .488.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Why dont you just call turbocity. They have developed a TBI Vortec system that will give you what you want. They have custom chips burnd that work with everything too. I have delt with them for many years and they are pretty helpful in guiding you in the right direction.
    Check it out:turbocity.com

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That cam will be done at 4000-4500. I'd suggest calling them back and telling them you need a cam that will pull until 5500.

They're going to err on the small side when they recommend a cam for a truck. Make up for the larger cam by bumping up the compression a point or so, and you'll make more power across the board.

5. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Remember, the vortec heads with stock springs are limited to I think .450 lift. You might want to replace the springs if you plan on going bigger. Also, being a TBI (having a MAP), you have to be careful with the cam you choose. You might consider giving a few calls to comp cams and also call crane, Lunati and Edelbroch.

My 2 cents.

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I am changing the springs and studding the heads just to be careful since I like to run the hell out of my engines.